1. Ravens 2000-01 Defense vs. 2009-10

There really is no comparison, PERIOD!! However I will tell you one thing, I really believe this 2009-10 defense played just as fast as the 2000-01 defense today! I couldn't believe my eyes It was amazing to see Ray Lewis flying around like he was and T-Sizzle played his arse off today! If Suggs and Ray can continue their tenacity in the playoffs and we can keep the penalties to a minimum like today, we will go very far! And it may just mean we get to kiss the Lomardi again! Not saying that we will, but there is a a good chance!

Thank you, Baltimore Ravens! You make the NFL fun again:ww:

Blog Entries

Re: Ravens 2000-01 Defense vs. 2009-10

Yeah, and big :respect to Mattison for the defensive game plan. No matter where they tried to roll Brady out, there was a linebacker shooting the gap directly facing where Brady was setting up to throw. Coincidence? I don't think so. Mattison, Ray and Co. had that offense diagnosed up one side and down the other.

On the play before the first N.E. TD, where Brady had all day to throw, but nobody to throw to and just jacked it way over the back of the end zone, I yelled "He doesn't know what he's looking at!! HE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE'S LOOKING AT!!!!" And there was great joy in my heart; a joy that not even the lucky grab on the force-throw to Edelman on the next play could diminish, because I knew as I watched that pass sail out of bounds everything I needed to know -- the Pats were going to have to scramble for everything -- like flying without instruments. They could not run their offense, all they could do was hunt desperately around to for whatever shred of it was left.

Our Defense today was a thing of beauty. We had the Patriots scouted soundly and everyone seemed to be in position all day.

Throughout the year, I was very skeptical of our coaches ability to scout our opponents. Particularly in both Bengals game, our secondary looked totally surprised by the receiver's routes. When we were thinking in, they ran out, expecting short, they double-moved and went deep.

Today it was as if we had the Patriots call sheet to prepare all week. We anticipated everything they ran, and were ready for every play action and bootleg.

When you know the opponent inside and out, you can really let your athleticism take over. We saw evidence of that with all the big hits, tipped balls, etc. I hope we can have a similar understand of the Colts next.

Blog Entries

RW19 -- I think we can have that understanding. The Ravens have faced the Colts what I would call "just the right number of times" lately to where the look and feel of their offense is familiar, just as New England's was.

Amazing how the look and feel of the Ravens defense shot way up with a (relatively) healthy Suggs and Reed back there.

Makes it even more remarkable that this team finished #3 in defense this year given who it played (NE, SD, Minn, Indy, etc.) and how many games were missed by starting defensive players -- Reed, Suggs, Washington, Webb -- the lack of use from the #2DC Kruger, working in Ellerbee as a raw undrafted rookie, and having to re-jigger the whole secondary and deploy Walker, Carr, etc. in expanded roles. Incredible!