Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Schottenheimer fired!

Since Rex is under contract, cant we deny him permission to talk to other teams?
    "This year, our attitude when we’re on the field is we’re attacking, we want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it."
    -Mark Clayton

Quote Originally Posted by bassgtrst View Post
    Since Rex is under contract, cant we deny him permission to talk to other teams?
    You can't deny an assistant permission to interview for a HC position and the Ravens would not deny permission anyhow. Who knows what the Chargers will do, but this smells of them coming after Rex Ryan.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRulz View Post
    You can't deny an assistant permission to interview for a HC position and the Ravens would not deny permission anyhow. Who knows what the Chargers will do, but this smells of them coming after Rex Ryan.

I think while he is under contract you can deny him to talk with another team
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

Going 14-2 and losing in the first round is like spitting in the wind. At least the owner is focused on the prize...:insane:

You can deny access when it's lateral, eg: DC to DC somewhere else. But I've not seen the Ravens ever block someone from interviewing for a HC slot...I'll see if I can dig up an actual rule on it sometime today

They never have as far as I can recall, but they did *say* they would about Rex, the season they were bracing to lose Mike Nolan. Not both in one season, they said.

I could have my off seasons mixed up, but I think that was it. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. . .

edit: With their history, there is no way they would forbid Rex the opportunity to interview with SD.
    Last edited by festivus; 02-13-2007 at 10:49 AM.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

So the Chargers watch their offensive coordinator leave to become HC at Miami, their defensive coordinator leave to become HC at Dallas, and THEN they decide to fire Marty? Pretty strange timing, to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRaven View Post
    You can deny access when it's lateral, eg: DC to DC somewhere else. But I've not seen the Ravens ever block someone from interviewing for a HC slot...I'll see if I can dig up an actual rule on it sometime today
    Yes, they can deny permission - regardless of whether it's a promotion or not - but they rarely do.

That said, they did deny Ryan a couple of years ago after they had already lost Mike Nolan and Singletary.

This time, I doubt they would deny him.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

It said he was fired b/c he let the coordinators leave, which is ridiculous. They are now head coaches, it wasn't his fault. Anyway I really hope they don't come after Rex Ryan.

I don't know what the rule is with blocking Rex from talking to other teams, but I do know that Billick stated earlier in the offseason that he would not stop Rex from leaving if it came to that.

Does anyone have an idea who our d-coordinator would be if Rex leaves?
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    That said, they did deny Ryan a couple of years ago after they had already lost Mike Nolan and Singletary.
    Did they have to do it? I remember them saying they would, but I don't remember if it came to pass. Perhaps it's not something we hear about when it happens, like the tree falling in the forest.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Did they have to do it? I remember them saying they would, but I don't remember if it came to pass. Perhaps it's not something we hear about when it happens, like the tree falling in the forest.

Yeah, I'm not totally sure, I may have been that they said they would if anyone came calling, but I think there was a report that said that they had actually denied permission.

But, again, I could be wrong........ :D
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Bad news guys from PFT:

REX RYAN A CHARGERS CANDIDATE

One name that quickly has emerged as a potential candidate for the sudden vacancy in San Diego is Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan.

Ryan, the son of former Eagles and Cardinals coach Buddy Ryan and the twin brother of Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, has spent the last eight years with the Ravens. He replaced Mike Nolan as defensive coordinator when Nolan was hired by the 49ers.

Look for Ryan to be one of the first guys interviewed for the job.

Link: http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm