Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Steelers - still championship material

I hate to say it, but last night is a crappy sign for us, given we also have the Bengals in this ridiculously competitive division.

To start your backup QB on a week's notice and have him contribute 3 TDs and 0 INTs is incredible. To overcome a costly fumble at the 1 yard line and still manage to own the 4th quarter and the game was a little scary, too.

If we had to depend on Boller to lead our team back after trailing in our home opener, I can't say I'd be very confident in that, and I sure as hell wouldn't be dumb enough to bet money on it. I also wouldn't expect him to toss 3 TDs and 0 INTs.

Champions find a way to respond under adversity. The Steelers had given up that huge pass to Booker and the Ronnie Brown TD and they needed to respond with a touchdown drive in the 4th. In one play, they cover 83 yards and score.

That's the kind of shit we need to do this year. I hope McNair is the antidote.

Re: Steelers - still championship material

They are, but this is a new year. People have had all offseason to dissect them in film and learn how to beat them. It happens to every champion (except NE, I guess).

I think they may go back to the playoffs, but I'm not sure that they will be as good as last year. Miami's D looked lost and stupid penalties really hurt them.
    Waiting for the next one!!!

Boller would be a God in Pittsburgh. They have an amazing offensive line. That goes a long way to making the rest of your team look great. We are actualy starting one of their cast off back ups.

They have an amazing offensive line. That goes a long way to making the rest of your team look great.
    True.

The OL sets up the running game and allows you to convert those important 3rd downs. We're missing a lot by not having a decent line. With a good line, McNair would take us pretty deep.

With a good line Mcnair would take us all the way, so would many other QBs in the league, possibly even Boller (sorry).

Let's face it, our line has a couple projects, a mediocre gaurd in Mule, an aging and uninterested Ogden, a cast off back-up in Vincent, and a center that must have tapes of Ozzie in bed with a chipmunk.

We never have all the pieces on offense. We're either weak at reciever, weak at QB, or weak at RB. One constant is that we are always weak at the line.

The Steelers looked pretty good, and I'm glad to give credit where credit is due, but the Dolphins lost that game just as much as the Steelers won it.

If it weren't for those stupid hands to the face and illegal contact penalties, who knows how the rest of the game would've turned out. Couple that with Dante's piss-poor decision making on the last couple of drives, and Miami really blew it.

The steelers put up 28 points with a back-up Qb that hasn't played in a real game for quite some time. He was given time to throw and make plays to win.

Penalties are part of the game. How many times did we put up 28 points with our line last season?

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy
    The steelers put up 28 points with a back-up Qb that hasn't played in a real game for quite some time. He was given time to throw and make plays to win.

Penalties are part of the game. How many times did we put up 28 points with our line last season?
    Oh I agree. Without a doubt, the Steelers O-line is MUCH better than ours. They gave Batch plenty of time and he was able to make the big plays when he had to. They deserved to win, I'm not disputing that. I'm just saying that Miami did their fair share to help them.

And I know that penalties are a part of the game, but that 'hands to the face' penalty in particular was a back-breaker for the Dolphins. Take that away, and the outcome could've been much different.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

If it weren't for those stupid hands to the face and illegal contact penalties, who knows how the rest of the game would've turned out. Couple that with Dante's piss-poor decision making on the last couple of drives, and Miami really blew it.
    That first hands to the face was the killer and so unnecessary. 3rd and 18 inside your own 10? The idiot should have not even been jamming the WR at the line, they needed 18 yards, not 5. That changed the momentum, until then the Dolphins had the game in their hands.

Penalties are part of the game.
    Yes, and so are long touchdowns and fumbles and interceptions. When they happen and how they change the game is the important part here. If the Stealers have to punt from back there, given the piss-poor kick coverage prior to that, the Dolphins have a good chance to drive for at least another FG and change the complexion completely.

Once the Stealers got the long drive and TD Culpepper started pressing and throwing poorly.

Fact is, the Stealers simply made less mistakes when it counted and that is indeed the mark of very good teams.

The offense scored 21 points. Joey Porter took one touchdown back on a INT. Yes the OL makes the difference. Let's hope our OL does the job this year. If they can we're going to the playoffs. If not well we all know that answer.

I hate that team so much. Stupid Yinzers.

Were the Steelers really all that good....or were the Dolphins just really that bad?