Blog Entries

Helmet to Helmet on Ngata?

Can someone who saw the game help me out with this...

Towards the end of the half, as the Raiders were driving down the field, there was a play where Frye did a bootleg and either passed or ran for the 1st. They said at the end of the play Ngata and McFadden were both slow to get up, and the radio commentators said McFadden did a LEGAL crackback block to Ngata, but it looked like he had helmet to helmet on Ngata, which would've been a 15 yard penalty and most certainly would've killed the drive. The commentators went on to say, when no penalty was thrown, that McFadden and the Raiders would likely be hearing from the NFL and get fined for it.

Did anyone see this? Was it just overblown? I haven't heard anything about it since then, so I'd be suprised if the NFL does anything on it. THAT is the kind of crap that kills me, since you know the refs would call it on us if it was close to helmet to helmet.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Re: Helmet to Helmet on Ngata?

And how did pissburgh not get a penalty on the hit on Pat White ? He was knoced out cold.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
    And how did pissburgh not get a penalty on the hit on Pat White ? He was knoced out cold.
    The tackler was going in on White about rib-level, when another defender tripped White from behind, causing him to lose his balance. He started to fall forward, which put his head on a collision course with the tackler's head. The tackler was already committed, too late to change his position (even to protect himself) and their heads hit. Not the tackler's fault.

Thanks for clearing that up, I'll have to watch it in slow-mo.

5. Re: Helmet to Helmet on Ngata?

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    The tackler was going in on White about rib-level, when another defender tripped White from behind, causing him to lose his balance. He started to fall forward, which put his head on a collision course with the tackler's head. The tackler was already committed, too late to change his position (even to protect himself) and their heads hit. Not the tackler's fault.
    I'm not sure if that's relevant. No matter where the fault lies, if the tackler's helmet hits the QB's helmet, it's a 15-yard penalty. Or at least that's how it works against the Ravens.

Blog Entries

True and the Piss and Black get away with helmet to helmet all the time and Taylor always leads with his helmet

Quote Originally Posted by baltimore_hokie View Post
    I'm not sure if that's relevant. No matter where the fault lies, if the tackler's helmet hits the QB's helmet, it's a 15-yard penalty. Or at least that's how it works against the Ravens.
    The pat white hit, was explained as, once a qb runs past the line of scrimmage, if he doesnt slide, he is now a RB, and that tackle is legal on a RB.

8. Re: Helmet to Helmet on Ngata?

Quote Originally Posted by RavenousD View Post
    The pat white hit, was explained as, once a qb runs past the line of scrimmage, if he doesnt slide, he is now a RB, and that tackle is legal on a RB.
    Helmet-to-helmet hits aren't legal on any player last time I checked...?

RB get hit that way all the time. But I dont know the rules, just saying what the announcers said.

10. Re: Helmet to Helmet on Ngata?

Quote Originally Posted by RavenousD View Post
    RB get hit that way all the time. But I dont know the rules, just saying what the announcers said.
    Yeah, I'm with you but it just seems like some teams get those calls and some teams don't. We seem to be on the wrong side of those type of judgement calls more times than not. Steelers, Pats, and Colts seem to get the benefit of the doubt.

That's not to say I blame the refs for any losses because there's a simple way to not get screwed by borderline calls: don't do borderline stupid stuff.

Incidental helmet-to-helmet hits happen all the time. I don't think I've ever seen it called as a penalty unless it was on a quarterback or on a defenseless receiver.
    ERIG20, your local draftnik

Signature currently under construction

Blog Entries

Ok, so going back to the original point...did anyone see this on Ngata? Nothing has come out yet about fines, so I'm guessing this will not be penalized, but unless the commentators were just grasping at straws, it seems like the NFL just gave McFadden an annoying free-pass.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!