Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Wink Re: Your SIX Untouchable Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRulz View Post
    Okay, let me say this again. DO NOT include AD as he is on the way out and won't be back next year. It is silly to put AD on the untouchable list unless he re-signs with us. Right now, he is not even a Raven. We just have exclusive rights to negotiate wth him until March 2.

OK - let me say this again ... AD will be back next year. He's too valuable a member of the team to not work out a deal, or tag him.

You have your list, and I have mine. Get over it.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Re: Your SIX Untouchable Ravens

I think that we're making different lists here. The untouchable Ravens based on salary concerns include guys like Ogden, Mason, Pryce... usually newer contracts that still have several years of signing bonus distributions.

If we're making the list of players who are most important for the Ravens to keep in the fold, to ensure having a competitive team for years into the future, then here's the list:

1. Ed Reed - The heir apparent as leader of our defense. Probably the best in the NFL at his position.

2. Chris McAlister - A shutdown corner in his prime who allows Rex Ryan to blitz confidently with man coverage.

3. Todd Heap - An athletic weapon that forces opposing defenses to adjust.

4. Bart Scott - A blossoming star that plays the run and pass well.

5. Terrell Suggs - A fantastic pass rusher in his prime.

6. Mark Clayton - Another emerging talent who moves the chains and can break tackles in the open field.

Honorable mentions:

Haloti Ngata - A rookie with tremendous potential at one of the most important, if undervalued, positions. But one good season makes it too soon to judge him as an elite player.

Kelly Gregg - Again, a great talent at an underrated position.

If I thought we had any chance at keeping him, I'd say Adalius Thomas would be about #4 on this list. But we really don't, and everyone else here is younger and can provide more good years of service.

Of course, our best chance at winning a championship now rides with McNair, Lewis, Ogden, Pryce, Mason, and the rest of our veterans. But to keep our team playoff bound in future years, the eight players on my list are the most valuable ones we have. And VERY few other teams in the league can boast of such an excellent core of superstars.

Ed Reed
    Todd Heap
    Mark Clayton
    Terrell Suggs
    Bart Scott
    Ray Lewis

I would be very surprised if AD is back. He all but said on his show that he is going where the money is and I don't blame him. This is his last chance to cash in. Plus, Ozzie's comments about the mistakes made after the Superbowl really makes me think that the nail is almost in the coffin. Unless Ozzie is just saying that for strategy.

Without Ray Lewis, do guys like Thomas and Scott even garner any attention whatsoever around the NFL? Same with Jamie Sharper, Ed Hartwell, etc. Ray made the Ravens defense what it is, using just his leadership skills alone, regardless of his eroding skills. He may be the all time greatest inside linebacker to ever grace a football field when you look at the intangibles.

1. McAlister - How he's not in everyone's top 3 is amazing. He's taken for granted all the time.

2. Ogden - Sorry, I like Terry and all, but JO was at the top of his game last year and that's irreplaceable.

3. Reed - In his prime and one of the best.

4. Heap - Most dependable offensive weapon.

5. Ngata - Is enormous and has enormous potential.

6. Ray Lewis - Still a top notch player who leads the best D.

PP

6. Re: Your SIX Untouchable Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack View Post
    Without Ray Lewis, do guys like Thomas and Scott even garner any attention whatsoever around the NFL? Same with Jamie Sharper, Ed Hartwell, etc. Ray made the Ravens defense what it is, using just his leadership skills alone, regardless of his eroding skills. He may be the all time greatest inside linebacker to ever grace a football field when you look at the intangibles.

I am soooo with you Dude! You must have read my post to TL's AD thread

Reed- Best Safety in the NFL, and one of the top defensive players.

Scott- Our best linebacker.

Heap- A top three TE. We can split him out wide and he creates mismatches all over the field.

Clayton- Young, sure-handed WR who gets YAC.

Suggs- Can get after the QB and pass-rushers are a premium in the NFL.

Gregg- What more needs to be said? It's Buddy Lee.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by Tspot-D-Ravenator View Post
    I am soooo with you Dude! You must have read my post to TL's AD thread
    Just because that's how it used to be, doesn't mean that is how it still is. Plus, you're totally off.

1. Hartwell made a name for himself playing in PLACE of Ray Lewis in 2002 when Ray got hurt.

2. Bart Scott did the same last year.

3. AD was by far the best player on our D last year, and the first guy that opponents keyed on in their game plan.

Mine: (in no order)
    Terrell Suggs
    Todd Heap
    Ed Reed
    Ray Lewis
    Chris McAlister
    Matt Stover

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Reed- Best Safety in the NFL, and one of the top defensive players.

Scott- Our best linebacker.

Heap- A top three TE. We can split him out wide and he creates mismatches all over the field.

Clayton- Young, sure-handed WR who gets YAC.

Suggs- Can get after the QB and pass-rushers are a premium in the NFL.

Gregg- What more needs to be said? It's Buddy Lee.
    Great minds. :D

darb, no reed, or mcalister?

Reed's the first name in his post.