Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Your SIX Untouchable Ravens

I've only seen one person throw out one of the guys in my list...

Reed
    Suggs
    Scott
    Clayton
    J Brown
    Ngata
    ''You'd love to go on the first day but I'm glad for the situation I'm in,'' he said. ''Baltimore knows how to play defense.''

Quote Originally Posted by RavenFanatic2k6 View Post
    I've only seen one person throw out one of the guys in my list...

Reed
    Suggs
    Scott
    Clayton
    J Brown
    Ngata
    That's because he's signed to a rookie contract for the next few years. That's why I didn't include him, Clayton, or Ngata. They all have cap friendly rookie contracts and are a no brainer to keep. The question with them is what to do when their rookie contracts are up a few years down the road.
    ... They shall mount up with wings as Eagles;

Easily My Top 6
    1. Ed Reed
    2. Bart Scott
    3. Todd Heap
    4. T Sizzle
    5. Clayton
    6. Kelly "The Heart" Gregg

In my opinion, these 6 players make the other players around them even better and are therefore irreplaceable for the Ravens.

1. Ray Lewis
    2. Ed Reed
    3. Steve McNair
    4. Jon Ogden
    5. Todd Heap
    6. Kelly Gregg

Ok, I'll play...

Ray
    Reed
    CMac
    Pryce
    Suggs
    Ogden

The first 3 are obvious. Ray is still one of the best all around LBs - he played out of his mind against the Colts. McNair also proved that Ray was right. Maybe he didn't handle it right in 2005 but his tantrum got something done. Ray was a good boy for 2 years as the ship was sinking with Boller.

The last 3 on my list are all about the lines. Pryce showed he was irreplacable in this scheme - tremendously underrated. Suggs is now a complete player, not just a pass rusher. Ogden is still one of the best at a position that is hard to fill with a stud. Against the Colts, Dallas Clark and Marvin Harrison had more tackles than media goldenboy, Dwight Freeney.

Ed Reed

Without a doubt, he is the premier safety in the league, and one of the top defensive backs overall. He's still pretty young, and is the heir apparent to Ray Lewis as the leader of the team.

Mark Clayton

He's developing into a top-flight receiver before our eyes, and is easily our best wide receiver at this point. He's a great character guy, and will always play hard. Exactly the type of player you want on your team.

Terrell Suggs

His pass-rushing skills are what define him, but let's not forget that over the past two seasons, he's really developed into a complete player. He's now a force against the run, and his coverage skills are pretty good. He's also a fun guy, and seems to be good for locker room chemistry. The only caveat with him is that he has a tendency to lose his cool, but remember, he's still only like 23 or 24.

Bart Scott

Bart is a classic linebacker, and reminds me a lot of Ray Lewis when he was younger. He's versatile, a sure tackler, and has a nose for the ball. He plays with a lot of fire and intensity, and backs up his trash talking. Like Suggs, he's a complete player. Great against the run, a great pass rusher, and good in coverage.

Haloti Ngata

Elite defensive tackles are hard to come by, so when you land one, don't let him get away. We've got a dominant tackler in the making, guys. I thought he played better than expected last season, and he's only going to improve from here on out. In the future, he will be not only the centerpiece of the defensive line, but probably the defense as a whole. You win games in the trenches, and he has the ability to overpower any offensive lineman you throw at him.

Todd Heap

It seems like our entire offense, or at least the passing game, revolves around Todd Heap. He's usually the first option on passing plays, and has some of the best hands in the league. Like Clayton, he's a hard-working, stand-up king of player, and leads by example.

I think if we keep those six guys around, we'll be okay.

Chris Chester
    Jason Brown
    Like these two though!
    Mark Clayton
    Haloti Ngata
    Mark Clayton
    Terrel Suggs
    Bart Scott
    Todd Heap

OK, I can't resist this one, and I am sure these answers are going to be a tad controversial. To me there are only 2 components to the most untouchable:
    1. Who has the most remaining value to contribute (including all elements of leadership and other intangibles)
    2. Who is still under rookie contract and thus playing cheap right now (since we are at constant war with the cap)

The 6 Ravens who fit that bill, starting with the most valuable are:
    1. Ngata (had a great rookie year in 2006, and plays a big money position)
    2. Clayton (big time receiver with 3 cheap years left)
    3. Suggs (he's 24 and just 2 and a half months younger than Landry. Lots of great football left)
    4. Landry (outstanding rookie year, but 24)
    5. Reed (I hope he retires a Raven, and I am sure he'll be a fine defensive QB when Ray finally hangs 'em up)
    6. Terry (by a nose over Brown. Terry is 8 months older, and has proven less to date, but plays the higher priced position.)

I would understand if someone put Williams on their list. Obviously, the Ravens have a number of very fine players that have a varying number of good years left, but they will all be fully paid (Scott, Thomas, Lewis, Ogden, McNair, Mason, Pashos, Gregg, Heap, McAlister, Mughelli, Musa, Pryce, and Wilcox). The only players right now on the roster with decent upside potential that I did not put in my 6 are Chester, Cody, Martin, Pittman, Prude, Sypniewski, and Williams. If I had to guess, I would say the Ravens aging corners will force one of those 3 youngsters to step up and play well, and I would say Pittman probably has the best tools, but Prude is definitely ahead of him now.

The Ravens core of young talent is still very good, IMO, but with the number of players that will be squeezed out by the cap/retirement in the next 2 years, Ozzie is going to need 2 more good drafts in a row beginning this April.