OT - Noone in VA wants to watch the Redskins tomorrow.

Oh this is just too freaking funny not to post. Apparently this is the SECOND Fox affiliate in VA that chose to change the game they are carrying tomorrow.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/12/wvbt...owboys-instead

In a move that reflects the nature of the Washington Redskins' season, WVBT Fox 43 had decided not to air Sunday's scheduled 4:15 p.m. game between the Skins and San Diego Chargers and instead televise the crucial NFC East clash between the Philadelphia Eagles and Dallas Cowboys.

This is the first time in memory that the Redskins have been pre-empted on TV in Hampton Roads. Bruce Rader, sports director at Fox 43, said he suggested the change when Fox switched the Eagles-Cowboys game from 1 p.m. to 4:15.

At the Old Dominion men's basketball game Wednesday night, Rader explained his reasoning.

"Honestly," he said, "the Redskins are just unwatchable."
    It gets better:

After receiving the OK from Fox to alter the schedule, Rader introduced the idea of a Redskins blackout on his early evening Wednesday broadcast and said he would have more to say about it during WVBT's 10 p.m. newscast. He asked viewers to let him know what they thought of the idea.

"I received 50 e-mails in five minutes," Rader said. "That's the most e-mails I've gotten on any story since the invention of the Internet."

By 8:20 Wednesday night, Rader said his Blackberry had been lit up with almost 150 e-mails. As he trolled through the messages, he was asked how many objected to his sacking of the 4-11 Redskins.

"About five," he said.

Blog Entries

Re: OT - Noone in VA wants to watch the Redskins tomorrow.

What pisses me off is that Fox45 is showing that meaningless Redskins/Chargers game when I would like to flip back and forth between the Ravens and the Eagles/Cowboys game

If only our Fox affiliate had the same foresight and vision that they have down in Hampton Roads. Kudos to all the military personnel down there that get to watch a real game. It ain't right forcing those service men and women to watch a Redskins game.

Quote Originally Posted by Flipping Birdie View Post
    What pisses me off is that Fox45 is showing that meaningless Redskins/Chargers game when I would like to flip back and forth between the Ravens and the Eagles/Cowboys game

If only our Fox affiliate had the same foresight and vision that they have down in Hampton Roads. Kudos to all the military personnel down there that get to watch a real game. It ain't right forcing those service men and women to watch a Redskins game.
    I'm not sure if Fox 45 has a choice though. I don't know if being so close to the DC market forces them to carry it or not.

Fox 45 gas no choice but to air the Landover teams's away games, since Baltimore is in Landover's "secondary market". In fact, Baltimore is the only such city; Norfolk, Hampton, Richmond etc. are free to broadcast the most appealing game. Here's the NFL's secondary market list:

So what are these secondary markets?

The following list is, from what I can tell, an unofficial list of secondary markets for each team. As described above, there are two rules affecting these markets: a) they must air all road games of the pertinent team, and b) are to be blacked out of home games that don't sell out. Some markets not listed here may air all games of a certain team, but that does not mean they are a secondary market - they only do so at the network's (or station's) own volition.

Arizona: Tucson
    Atlanta: none
    Baltimore: Washington, Salisbury, Harrisburg PA
    Buffalo: Rochester, Syracuse, Erie PA
    Carolina: Greensboro, Raleigh, Florence SC, Columbia SC, Spartanburg SC
    Chicago: Rockford, South Bend
    Cincinnati: Dayton, Lexington KY
    Cleveland: Youngstown
    Dallas: Sherman, Wichita Falls, Waco, Tyler
    Denver: Colorado Springs
    Detroit: Flint/Saginaw, Lansing, Toledo
    Green Bay: Milwaukee, Wausau
    Houston: Beaumont, Bryan
    Indianapolis: Fort Wayne, Lafayette, Terre Haute
    Jacksonville: Orlando, Gainesville, Savannah GA
    Kansas City: Topeka KS
    Miami: West Palm Beach, Fort Myers
    Minnesota: Mankato, Rochester MN, Mason City IA
    New England: Providence
    New Orleans: Baton Rouge, Biloxi MS
    NY Giants/NY Jets: none
    Oakland/San Francisco: Sacramento, Monterey
    Philadelphia: Harrisburg, Scranton
    Pittsburgh: Altoona, Wheeling WV, Clarksburg WV, Youngstown OH
    St. Louis: Cape Girardeau, Jefferson City, Columbia
    San Diego: Los Angeles, Palm Springs
    Seattle: none
    Tampa Bay: Orlando
    Tennessee: Chattanooga, Jackson TN, Bowling Green KY
    Washington: Baltimore
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

5. Re: OT - Noone in VA wants to watch the Redskins tomorrow.

Can you blame them???

Why anyone in the NFL thinks that Baltimore is Washington's secondary market is beyond me. Didn't they try to force feed us the Redskins from 1984-1996? Didn't the folks here in Baltimore prove that under no circumstances will we be fans of the Washington Redskins?

The NFL just doesn't understand the dynamics of this region.

I was livid 4-5 years ago when the Ravens were on Fox and my local Salisbury MD affiliate showed the Skins instead. they said it was a network feed issue and they couldn't control that, which I'm sure was bogus with all this technology.

after Irsay took our Colts away some people down here became Skins fans by default (and of course guess whose games were being shown all the time). some people in local media apparently still think this is Skins territory, as they are always the lead in the local sports pages. Idiots.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Blog Entries

Isn't southern AA County full of skins fans? And isn't technically the Baltimore television market? So, per Mr. T's list, I think that totally makes sense. Also, Mr. T, thanks for explaining how that works. I've always been confused how that works. I thought all of VA was the Washington secondary market.