Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: OT - Daunte overrated

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack
    On a side note, Joey Porter had 2 sacks and an interception for a touchdown to seal the win.

If Ray Lewis had this type of game, what do you think the people here and at the Insiders would be saying? "Heeeee's baaaaaaaack!"
    If the Dolphins actually attempted to block Porter with someone other than a running back, he probably would've ended up with no sacks.

I have to admit, that interception was a nice play though. Even if Dante basically threw it right to him.

I thought Culpepper looked pretty good after being off for so long. Those were pretty incredible odds, the world champions in their own house, first game, national tv, etc. I thought Culpepper carried himself well. He made two terrible passes at the end, without which the Steelers might be looking at 0-1 this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg
    Funny, but through 3 quarters I was impressed with him, I always thought he was a product of Moss and Carter covering his inaccuracy. Last night, until he felt the pressure to save the game, he looked good. At least to me.

I think the defense lost the game, up 17-14 in the 3rd quarter with the Stealers backed way up inside their own 10, on 3rd and 18, they commit that IDIOTIC hands to the face and there was no reason for it, then follow it up with another illegal contact for another free first down. That was when the Dolphins lost the momentum and the game. And when Culpepper started taking chances. He made some very good throws earlier.
    Rack!

Couldn't agree more.

I agree with Greg. Culpepper looked good, poised and accurate through three quarters. He took what the Steelers (let's admit it excellent) defense gave him and came up with some impressive throws and decision making, including a couple of first downs on third and long. There was one particular pass early in the fourth from deep in his own territory where I believe he found Chambers on the sideline to keep the drive going. The picks at the end were out of sheer desperation after the defense screwed themselves mentally and physically by allowing the Steelers to march 90 yards on them. Even thought that drive didn't end in points for Pittsburgh, Miami had already handed them the momentum by then.

I still don't think Miami are that horrible. I'd imagine they'll finish with a winning record and will be contending for the playoffs this year.

I think the defense lost the game, up 17-14 in the 3rd quarter with the Stealers backed way up inside their own 10, on 3rd and 18, they commit that IDIOTIC hands to the face and there was no reason for it, then follow it up with another illegal contact for another free first down.
    I agree with that statement as well.

I believe that is why the Dolphins lost the game in the first place. They were in control on the game. I cant remember the player that caused the hands to the face but all I got to say is "what a dumb ass".

Culpepper was ok for 3 quarters. He wasnt the Culpepper I remember in Minny but he wasnt horrible either. He went down hill real fast when he started forcing throws in the 4th quarter.

I would attribute most of Culpeppers hype to his almost MVP year in 2004 when he threw over 4,000 yrd's, 39 td's, and only 11 ints. Yes he did have Randy Moss but if you remember correctly Moss was injured for part of 2004 and Culpepper still performed. If you ask me the other offseason stud, Drew Brees is way more overated than Culpepper.

Yeah I had Pep as my QB this week too. :grbac:

However I did get a solid 18 points out of Ronnie Brown.
    "This year, our attitude when we’re on the field is we’re attacking, we want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it."
    -Mark Clayton

To me, Culpepper looked servicible at best last night until he completely collapsed in the 4th.

Way too many poorly thrown balls.
    Some short hopping or at rteceivers feet, over throws, etc.

He had a few nice passes, but nothing that I would qualify as "Real Good" to sum up his performance.

Looks to me that he's trying to avoid pulling the ball down and running when opportunity presents itself.

Could still be that he's not 100% comfortable with the knee yet.

Running with the ball is part of his game that has to be respected.

If he chooses not to now, then I'm not too sure he will look like what he use to prior knee injury and having Moss.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

I agree with Greg on this one as well. Also, let's factor in that this is the first game of the season with his new team and he is playing the defending Super Bowl champions.

If Culpepper is still looking like he did in the 4th Quarter 3-4 games into the season, then I'll begin to reconsider my opinion.

Take away an INT that was a difficult catch for Porter, and Culpeper played well enough to win the game.

I saw a guy coming off a devastating knee injury, a guy who hadn't played a real game in almost a year, play the Super Bowl champion on the road against one of the best defenses in football. And he was in a position to win. Not too bad if you ask me.

Yeah, a floated a couple (the one that was almost intercepted in the EZ was BAD), and a couple of ground balls. So what. A lot of top QBs will do that. Give him another couple of games to get comfortable, and he'll be very good. That's my prediction.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

he looks nothing close to the 270 pound monster of a man I rememeber,

o yeah he threw the umm interception b/c ummm he has small hands