Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 25
  1. #13

    Re: YBR going into the cesspool



    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Agree about the software, which was not the idea of the local Scout team. As to being "SLOW", I don't see any difference.

    Disagree, strongly, about Aaron Wilson. That site is dependent on subcsriptions to keep going. Aaron is just doing his part.





    I disagree with him a lot, but DRay works hard to maintain that site.
    Nobody denies that but the road to hell is paved with good intentions...




  2. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Leading the Freak Parade
    Posts
    35

    Re: YBR going into the cesspool

    I don't visit this board very often anymore, but Aaron told me about this thread. There are one or two questions I can answer here for those that don't know:

    My main beef with it is that runs so slow. I think DRay posted that the Scout people wrote the software from scratch. Why? There must be a dozen good, free message board software packages that are easy to install and customize. No sense in reinventing the wheel.
    Scout didn't explain this as well as it should have, but here's your answer:
    MB software like vBulletin and others simply do not have the scaling capabilities Scout requires. They work well on a small board like this, but when you add tens of thousands of users, they crash.

    In addition, ezboard had little interest in retaining the Scout network once their lease was up. That's no big deal, because Scout feels it can ultimately do better. Let's face it: ezboard is hopelessly out of date.

    As for the unattractive format, most of us would agree that the underlying architecture of a software package is far more important than it's appearance. Scout achieved a stable release and moved everyone over ASAP because of the contractual issues with ezboard. However, they are still working on adding features and improving the basic architecture. Once that is done, they will circle back and give everyone the customization features and UI improvements all the publishers and admins want. Last I heard, that should happen by draft day.

    Re: the slowness of the board.
    Yesterday was LOI day for the colleges. Since we're all under the same network, the traffic load they experienced effected everyone. That, too, is a work in progress that will improve over time.

    ...and as for Aaron "pimping" for money.
    Believe it or not, Scout is for-profit. Aaron does not provide his articles for free...just as Scout does not maintain its servers for free. From the communications I have across the Scout network, I know there are a lot of good features coming up in the lead-up to the draft that take advantage of Scout publishers across the entire network, NFL and NCAA alike. That alone will be worth it. It should be exciting.

    As for the Colts: people are understandably angry over the move however long ago it happened, and seeing the Colts in the SB dredged up a lot of negative emotions. I, along with the moderating team, felt it was best to let people express those emotions. If that's not your cup of tea, there have been (and are) plenty of other threads to choose from.

    - DRay
    THE 2nd WAVE LOYAL™
    © 2007 DRayRaven Enterprises™. All rights reserved, patent pending.
    The contents of this post may not be reproduced in whole or in part without the express written consent
    of DRayRaven, ProFootball 24x7, the Baltimore Ravens, the National Football League, or related entities.




  3. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Perry Hall
    Posts
    2,890

    Re: YBR going into the cesspool

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenMad2099 View Post
    Scout didn't explain this as well as it should have, but here's your answer:
    MB software like vBulletin and others simply do not have the scaling capabilities Scout requires. They work well on a small board like this, but when you add tens of thousands of users, they crash.
    I was referring to packaged message board software like phpBB. It can and has run on board with tens of thousands of users and is very stable. It's also free and open source so there are no licensing requirements. I don't know what sort of architecture Scout is running with, and now it's probably moot anyway.

    When I was talking about the slowness, I was mainly talking about how there seems to be a several second lag when hitting the back button or trying to navigate through the boards. It's happened more than just yesterday. A minor annoyance, but it does discourage me from visiting there as much. I don't mind the visual look - it's certainly better than the clunky and ugly vBulletin.

    PR: your flaming schtick about the Baltimore Colts fans is wearing thin. Whatever stimulated your anti-Baltimore hatred, you should re-examine yourself. Nobody gives a shit about your hatred towards old Colts fans. Baltimore Colts fans became Baltimore Ravens fans. Without the Baltimore Colts fan base, which kept the candles burning for 12 long years, there would be no Baltimore Ravens. Criticizing us would be akin to criticizing your parents for procreating you.
    Agree. PurpleRulz/SuperBoller is wearing very thin on me with his Baltimore Colts rants. Although it is a distraction from the race-based topics he loves to bring up.




  4. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Leading the Freak Parade
    Posts
    35

    Re: YBR going into the cesspool

    They considered phpBB.
    As you say, it's a moot point.
    In the long run, Scout will be better off with their own software.

    I'm aware of the problems with the back button.
    That's high on their priority list of things to fix.
    THE 2nd WAVE LOYAL™
    © 2007 DRayRaven Enterprises™. All rights reserved, patent pending.
    The contents of this post may not be reproduced in whole or in part without the express written consent
    of DRayRaven, ProFootball 24x7, the Baltimore Ravens, the National Football League, or related entities.




  5. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland
    Posts
    1,179

    Re: YBR going into the cesspool

    Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    I was referring to packaged message board software like phpBB. It can and has run on board with tens of thousands of users and is very stable. It's also free and open source so there are no licensing requirements. I don't know what sort of architecture Scout is running with, and now it's probably moot anyway.

    When I was talking about the slowness, I was mainly talking about how there seems to be a several second lag when hitting the back button or trying to navigate through the boards. It's happened more than just yesterday. A minor annoyance, but it does discourage me from visiting there as much. I don't mind the visual look - it's certainly better than the clunky and ugly vBulletin.



    Agree. PurpleRulz/SuperBoller is wearing very thin on me with his Baltimore Colts rants. Although it is a distraction from the race-based topics he loves to bring up.

    I can understand how I would "wear thin" on you considering you have a problem with persons who look like me.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!




  6. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Manchester, Maryland
    Posts
    575

    Re: YBR going into the cesspool

    If you don't mind, the reason I am on THIS board now and not the other board is because of threads like this, sooooooooo . . . . if you all have to have a pissin' match, please take it back over there.

    Thank you

    P.S. Sorry Art, I don't mean to be a bitch, but what goes on over on that board is not our concern over here.
    Screw 'em all

    Proud Member of BASH - Baltimore Association of Steeler Haters




  7. #19

    Re: YBR going into the cesspool

    Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    I disagree with him a lot, but DRay works hard to maintain that site.
    It has nothing to do with how hard he works. It's his involvement in the Hugger/Hater Wars. It's hard for posters who have gone to far to either side to have the necessary objectivity to be fair Mods.

    I'd make a terrible Mod. I like FadeToBlack and RavenWoodLawn, but I'd be more lenient towards Dave and Stinger. It's human nature to be that way towards people in your "group".




  8. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland
    Posts
    1,179

    Re: YBR going into the cesspool

    PR: your flaming schtick about the Baltimore Colts fans is wearing thin. Whatever stimulated your anti-Baltimore hatred, you should re-examine yourself. Nobody gives a shit about your hatred towards old Colts fans. Baltimore Colts fans became Baltimore Ravens fans. Without the Baltimore Colts fan base, which kept the candles burning for 12 long years, there would be no Baltimore Ravens. Criticizing us would be akin to criticizing your parents for procreating you.

    Why don't you move your anti-Baltimore flaming to a Steelers, Browns, or Redskins board?
    [/QUOTE]


    No offense, but this is one of the dumbest responses I have ever read on this board. You call me "anti-Baltimore" because I am not a fan of a team that is no longer here. You on the other hand, continue to obsess over a team that plays in another city while ignoring your own. I think you need to re-assess your "anti-Baltimore" statement and look in the mirror. This board and the scout board are for talking RAVENS, or did you not know that? Maybe you ought to pack your bags and head for Indy and then you can talk Colts with them.

    Better yet, why not create a specific board where old cronies like yourself can continue your b*tch fests over a franchise long gone for here and leave this board for those that want to talk Ravens. Got that. Good.

    As for Lose-Sac: I am going to continue to acknowledge great minority achievements (African American, Hispanic, or the like). If you have a problem with that, don't read it. Thanks.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!




  9. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Perry Hall
    Posts
    2,890

    Re: YBR going into the cesspool

    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRulz View Post
    As for Lose-Sac: I am going to continue to acknowledge great minority achievements (African American, Hispanic, or the like). If you have a problem with that, don't read it. Thanks.
    Good for you, PurpleRacist.




  10. #22

    Re: YBR going into the cesspool

    As for Lose-Sac: I am going to continue to acknowledge great minority achievements (African American, Hispanic, or the like)
    Hispanic? Doubt it.

    How about just recognizing achievements, period?

    Anyway, the new scout board is going downhill. Maybe it's because I have a Mac, but posting for me sucks (I have no options in customizing ANYTHING in my posts), the board runs ridiculously slow, there's a ton of bitching and moaing, and the format sucks.

    However, I would use that board if they fixed all the server problems. They simply get a lot of traffic over there, and the politics forum is fun.




  11. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Parkville, MD
    Posts
    2,143

    Re: YBR going into the cesspool

    No offense, but this is one of the dumbest responses I have ever read on this board. You call me "anti-Baltimore" because I am not a fan of a team that is no longer here. You on the other hand, continue to obsess over a team that plays in another city while ignoring your own. I think you need to re-assess your "anti-Baltimore" statement and look in the mirror. This board and the scout board are for talking RAVENS, or did you not know that? Maybe you ought to pack your bags and head for Indy and then you can talk Colts with them.
    PR, you seem like a smart enough guy to understand why people still love and remember the Baltimore Colts. It has nothing to do with them being fans of the Indianapolis Colts as you suggest. If MistaT was ignoring the Ravens, do you honestly think he would have put in a tremendous of time on both Ravens boards, or attend games here and away?

    Basically what it comes down to is, people are allowed to feel however they want about something that was a huge part of their life. Why do you feel the need to bitch about what/how someone feels? You have your feelings just like they have theirs. No one bitches about how you constantly bring race into everything because that is your choice, just like remembering the Baltimore Colts is a choice. Respect it and move on even if you don't agree with it.




  12. #24

    Re: YBR going into the cesspool

    Speaking of YBR, there's a thread over there about Ed Reed wearing a Colts hat . Grammar didn't find it's way into the orginal post, either. Some of the posts are absolutely mind-boggling.

    That board is getting overrun with a bunch of kids who either can't get their thoughts together, and/or cannot put together a coherent sentence. It's really pathetic. It makes most of the board unreadable.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland