Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Oh God...*RollsEyes*

Here we go..

Ozzie: No Seattle call on DeCosta

Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said today that the Seattle Seahawks have not contacted him for permission to speak with Eric DeCosta, the Ravens' director of player personnel, about their general manager's job.

Tim Ruskell recently resigned as Seahawks' GM, and according to ProFootballTalk.com, the Seahawks have identified a list of candidates that includes DeCosta, Eagles GM Tom Heckert, and John Schneider, the director of football operations for the Packers.

DeCosta, 38, is in his 14th season with the Ravens, having worked his way from area scout.
    I'm pretty sure there interested.. Hopefully DeCosta will decline any offers.. I'm hoping that he would be our successor to Ozzie

Re: Oh God...*RollsEyes*

If someone offers you a GM job, you do not say no, I would rather wait until my current boss retires.

:T2:

Why aren't these teams trying to find candidates within the Steelers and Colts organizations? The Colts have the best GM (Polian), so they must have someone or multiple people under him that make good decisions. Same with people under Colbert? I'm kinda tired the Ravens FO getting uprooted like a rectal exam when the Colts and Steelers FO arent touched.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    Why aren't these teams trying to find candidates within the Steelers and Colts organizations? The Colts have the best GM (Polian), so they must have someone or multiple people under him that make good decisions. Same with people under Colbert? I'm kinda tired the Ravens FO getting uprooted like a rectal exam when the Colts and Steelers FO arent touched.
    Its a vast anti-Ravens conspiracy within the ranks of the other NFL teams to make sure we never get too good by raiding our free agents and front office every time we start to get too uppity.
    “I already believe I am the best linebacker in the game. Now, I have to show one more thing ? That I am the most dominating, influential person in the game and the best football player to ever put on a pair of cleats.” -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    In terms of the Colts, the 2nd in command in their FO (Vice President/GM) is Chris Polian, Bill's son. I read Peter King tweet something a while back about them essentially making him Bill's successor when he decides to step aside. So he's no reason to leave Indy.

Can't we set something up to make DeCosta Ozzie's replacement ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by effo5231 View Post
    Its a vast anti-Ravens conspiracy within the ranks of the other NFL teams to make sure we never get too good by raiding our free agents and front office every time we start to get too uppity.
    I knew it!

Quote Originally Posted by effo5231 View Post
    I knew it...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    If someone offers you a GM job, you do not say no
    I am not so sure.

Somebody should ask George Kokinis who didn't last even a single season or for that matter Phil Savage who is now doing college football radio I believe.

Kokinis probably left because he knew that DeCostas is next in line for Ozzie's job. Savage probably left because he knew that he would have to wait a long time before Ozzie retires. Unless Ozzie works until he is really old, I think DeCostas may hang around. All of his wife's family is here and that is really important to them. Ozzie is 53 and has been doing this job over 10 years. I have got to think that there is some other things he may want to do (other than being an GM) before he really retires.

I've heard that DeCosta is very comfortable with his role here and his status as the heir apparent. IIRC, his wife is from the area, so he now has roots here.

That said, my guess is that any interest from another team would cause a meeting with Ozzie and Bisciotti regarding just when he can expect Ozzie to step down and whether he's still in line for the job. If Ozzie says that he plans to be around for 10 more years, then DeCosta would have to look elsewhere more seriously, but if it's a shorter term, then I would think he'd be willing to hang around.
    Last edited by B-more Ravor; 12-23-2009 at 11:32 PM.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by Dont Know View Post
    I am not so sure.

Somebody should ask George Kokinis who didn't last even a single season or for that matter Phil Savage who is now doing college football radio I believe.
    Still they got a shot, got paid and can pretty much get another lower level front office job, maybe not as good as the one they left, but there is compensation and consolation prizes.

:T2: