Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 101112

Re: Corey Freakin Ivy???

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    I think real question is, is Ivy better than CMac in the nickel? I would say yes, only barely. Ivy has spent pretty much of his career in the nickel. Knows how to corner blitz from there and usually can cover decent #3 WR. His problem is that he is easily over matched sometimes. Teams will line up with there #1 and/or #2 in the slot over Ivy. That is where he is exposed.
    Playing the nickel is not as easy as just lining up in the slot and playing someone's 3rd wide receiver. Most teams run out of 3 wide sets and the nickel has to be able to play linebacker on run downs, which means making quick reads on playaction about whether or not to step up or drop back. Plus the nickel has to be able to effectively rush the passer on some downs. The nickel back is often the primary defender on screens and hot reads to the TE. Its an entirely different set of reads and mental processes. CMac has never done it, ever.

Asking CMac to play nickel for the first time in his career in week 16 of his 11th season is like signing Lorenzo Neal to be our tight end.
    “I already believe I am the best linebacker in the game. Now, I have to show one more thing ? That I am the most dominating, influential person in the game and the best football player to ever put on a pair of cleats.” -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    I can accept Harbaugh's answer on McAlister at face value. He isn't a Nickel player. If they cannot use him there, then he's not valuable to the team. I can understand that point.
    No, the other reasons are BS. THIS is why he isn't on the team. Not because Corey Ivy is better, because no one with a rational mind would argue that. Again, even you have not shown me one reason, other than he hasn't missed time (except losing 3 jobs in 1 year), that Corey Ivy is a better player right now than Chris McAlister.

I just wish our head coach would just be honest about it and stop bullshitting us.
    You're contradicting yourself.
    “I already believe I am the best linebacker in the game. Now, I have to show one more thing ? That I am the most dominating, influential person in the game and the best football player to ever put on a pair of cleats.” -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Seems to me that both effo and Sting agree on not bringing CMac back but for very different reasons.

I would like to see CMac back playing nickel. He just doesn't have the speed to play outside anymore.

I think real question is, is Ivy better than CMac in the nickel? I would say yes, only barely. Ivy has spent pretty much of his career in the nickel. Knows how to corner blitz from there and usually can cover decent #3 WR. His problem is that he is easily over matched sometimes. Teams will line up with there #1 and/or #2 in the slot over Ivy. That is where he is exposed.

CMac can phyiscally match up with just about everyone. But Steelers have alot of speedy WRs that would easily torch CMac.
    NO the real answer is that he doesn't belong anywhere NEAR 1 Winning drive. Everything else is window-dressing, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a restraining order not allowing him on Deer Park road. Bringing Cmac back onto this team would put it back 5 years.

The inmates used to run the asylum. Bringing Cmac back would show that is the way it will be in the future going forward.
    Stinger is right, that is what this is all about. Effo is making fine points as well, but they simply don't matter. The Ravens don't care if Cmac can play Nickel, or cover a receiver at all. He is not a Raven. He is not interested in trying, or staying sober, or listening to a coach.

THAT is why neither him, nor his representation even received a phonecall, yet Fakhir Brown did. There isn't much more to talk about. It's pretty clear.

Quote Originally Posted by effo5231 View Post
    You're contradicting yourself.
    Oh, such the eagle eye there. So much so that you mysteriously, or not so mysteriously, left out when I said:

The more I think about it, the more I think Harbaugh flat out lied about the reasoning not to bring him in. He should have just simply stated he had no interest in working with Chris McAlister again and moved on.

Just like that eagle eye of yours glanced at NFL.com for 5 seconds and made the claim that McAlister is injury prone because he didn't play 16 games for X seasons, and not actually stopping to LOOK at the numbers that said outside of 2008 when he was CUT (notice not injured reserved or anything like that), he missed a total of 14 games in his entire career.

And just like that eagle eye of yours didn't bother to look at 2008 and realize by the time he was cut he was still playing at a pretty high clip, although I'm betting you have an excuse for those three interceptions and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by effo
    As of right now, yes. Probably quite a bit better. At least we know Carr can actually turn his hips and run downfield, something CMac simply didn't do this year.
    And then you accuse ME of not watching tape. Way to take one play and use it to define his entire 2 games.

You like to use stats, right? You glance at numbers, right? How many catches did Moss have against McAlister that day? Oh yeah, 3. The one for 47 yards, then two more for a grand total of 20. Oh yeah, Moss just torched McAlister all game long.

It's obvious the you don't like the guy. That's fine. But this twisting and silly-puttying the "facts" as you called them is the wrong way to go about hating on him. AS I SAID, which you forgot to quote earlier when you attempted to tell me I was contradicting myself, the more I read through Harbaugh, the more I think he's lying. And of course he has people like you believing it too.

The bottom line is that Chris McAlister is not here because John Harbaugh doesn't want him here. You can make believe it's his health. You can make believe it's because they wanted to move Carr over (by the way, since you said there was no backup in the nickel behind Carr, you never really answered why not play Carr there and bring in another outside Corner, but ok). You can believe that McAlister sucked in NO. That's all well and good.

But it isn't the truth. I don't know that I can really say anything more.

You can make believe it's because they wanted to move Carr over (by the way, since you said there was no backup in the nickel behind Carr, you never really answered why not play Carr there and bring in another outside Corner, but ok).
    I'll address your other points after work but this one's easy.

Why not play Carr at nickel and bring in another outside? In the same post you quoted me in I already addressed this point when I said the following.
    Because right now, Carr is the only person on our roster who can play nickel. If he got hurt we'd have NO ONE on our roster who could do it. If Ed Reed was healthy they might move Zibby in their, but Ed's a major question mark for Sunday. If Ivy were to get injured, I'm sure Carr would move inside and Walker would take over outside. Or Carey Williams, Harbs said that Williams is going to get some playing time this week. Either way, we have depth at the position CMac plays, we have 1 guy on the roster right now other than Corey Ivy who can play nickel.
    We have outside corners who can play and who have made the field for us this season... we don't have anymore nickels. We put Ivy in at nickel and we can always slide Carr in there if he gets hurt. If we don't sign Ivy and just put Carr in there, and he gets hurt... we have no one. Seems pretty straight forward to me. And considering the run support a nickel is expected to provide, you can't assume that any nickel back is a guarantee to stay healthy.

This thread=:grbac:
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Nurse View Post
    I'll answer...because our 2ndary is better with him than without
    Well said, Raven Nurse!
    Last edited by BmoreBrawla; 12-27-2009 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by effo5231 View Post
    I'll address your other points after work but this one's easy.

Why not play Carr at nickel and bring in another outside? In the same post you quoted me in I already addressed this point when I said the following.

We have outside corners who can play and who have made the field for us this season... we don't have anymore nickels. We put Ivy in at nickel and we can always slide Carr in there if he gets hurt. If we don't sign Ivy and just put Carr in there, and he gets hurt... we have no one. Seems pretty straight forward to me. And considering the run support a nickel is expected to provide, you can't assume that any nickel back is a guarantee to stay healthy.
    Carr can't play corner at the professional level. Have you been asleep all season?

So...........where was Ivy today?

Yeah, Frank Walker was definately the better option to put out on the field today. Absolutely. Great call.