Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: What does Billick need to do to stay on board?

For many of us, it has been the o-line for a number of years.
    Exactly! And if we did blame it on the O-Line then we were "Boller Huggers". The QB and RB will only be as good as the O-Line. Period.

Flynn has had more NFL players plow through him than the Hilton sisters.

Quote Originally Posted by hurting
    For those saying people are only now complaing about the o-line must be referring to the old Boller Bashing threads on the other board. If you mentioned that the O-line was inadequate over there you were insulted and told a good QB can make the O-line better. :insane: Or that you were a Boller appologist if you mentioned the inadequacies of the O-line. In the circles I run most people have been complaining about the oline for over 5 years now. Hell the O-line wasn;t even that good in our Super Bowl run. I had recently watched some of the old games from that year thinking "how the hell did Banks get that ball off" He had to throw the ball without even completing his drop due to the pressure. :grbac:
    That is what I was referring to, I remember getting pummelled regularly at draft time when I would complain about our lack of attention to the OL. I also was called a "Hugger" for implying that the OL was significantly responsible for our offensive ineptitude. It is amusing and refreshing to see it now acknowledged as a problem.. Now, if only we could convince the powers that be maybe the problem could be seriously addressed.

- Keep the team competetive
    - Keep the team focused and together
    - Win on the road
    - Stop the bickering with the press

I don't think we need to make the playoffs for Brain to keep his job. I think making the team competetive this season will be enough. I'm reminded of the patience the Steelers brass has had with 'the chin'.

Do you think that type of patience is good or bad in today's NFL? I personally think it is good, especially if the coach has a decent track record.
    She had me at "Hell, NO!"

Quote Originally Posted by BaltimoreRon
    - Keep the team competetive
    - Keep the team focused and together
    - Win on the road
    - Stop the bickering with the press

I don't think we need to make the playoffs for Brain to keep his job. I think making the team competetive this season will be enough. I'm reminded of the patience the Steelers brass has had with 'the chin'.

Do you think that type of patience is good or bad in today's NFL? I personally think it is good, especially if the coach has a decent track record.

DITTO

I think the kind of patience you are citing, Ron is essential in today's NFL. Things can go one way or the other very quickly and knee jerk reactions do nothing to improve the situation. After this past off season I'm just not sure Bisciotti has that kind of patience. Time will tell..

I'm not sure about Steve's patience, either. Like you said, time will tell.

One other thing that could cause BB his job, which I forgot about, is breakdowns on the road like last seasons' game in Detroit. I think a game like that this season will make Brian's seat that much hotter.
    She had me at "Hell, NO!"

8. Re: What does Billick need to do to stay on board?

Anthing short of a winning season, and I think, the Ravens make a change. Although 8-8 might be enough to buy him another year, especially if we have another spat of injuries, just my opinion

With people really starting to come around on this OL problem, I am starting to believe that we need to take a closer look at Ozzie at the same time we look at Billick. Our OL has lacked talent and that isn't Billick's fault. Blame him for locker room problems or lack of motivation. But don't blame him for being stuck with Mike Flynn and his giant contract.

As for the OL, anyone who doesn't still believe the OL is the most important part of the offense need only to have watched the Steelers last night. The Steelers OL literally swallowed up the Miami defensive, even on blitzes. And they made Charlie Batch look like a freaking pro-bowler. I've never seen a backup QB chuck the ball downfield so much.

Sting, while Ozzie may not value certain positions in the way we like there is no way he gets fired. We are at minimum one onf the 3 best drafting teams in the league. He also hired a coach that won us a Super Bowl. Ozzie has earned the right to hire the next head coach of this franchise (Kirk Ferentz).

I still think that good and bad teams come and go, so if we hold onto Billick during the lean times it will probably come back around in his favor at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by 24x7 Admin
    Let me be the devil's advocate for a moment. What say you all about the scenario where he doesn't make it through the season. With the exception of Oakland and Cleveland, the first 6 games are tough. How many times have we looked past an easy opponent and lost in a big nasty way. I'm almost more worried about Oakland than the Bucs because of the team's penchant for waltzing into what should be easy games and losing.

So, in an 0-6 scenario, does Billick make it past the Bye week. Does JF take the reigns?
    I can't see Billick getting canned midseason under any scenario that isn't some kind of sex scandal.

If we start 0-6 Billick would be fired. However I can't even see that happening. Even in my worst dream :hammer: