Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Colts Victory Could Be Baltimore's Win

I wonder what if feels like to be a fan from Indianapolis. I wonder what they think of when they hear that this is the Colts first World Championship since 1971. That must feel forced to them. It must feel uncomfortable. The Colts weren’t even a wild dream for them in 1971.

Do they even want that association?

Would you?

If the Ravens had kept the name of the Browns and the Browns had won in ’71, would that championship feel like yours?

Read more here

Re: Colts Victory Could Be Baltimore's Win

You don't seem to understand the mind-set of the Indy Cornholers fans.

-They honestly believe that Johnny Unitas played in Indy.
    -SuperBowl V is their win.
    -They marry first cousins.

Ok, that last one has nothing to do with football, but it is pretty disgusting.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Im thinking that since they now have their own SB win, they will start to lay off the Baltimore history.
    "This year, our attitude when we’re on the field is we’re attacking, we want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it."
    -Mark Clayton

If it were me in Indy, regardless of a super bowl win or not, I would not feel comfortable with someone else's history. If my ex-wife gets remarried, I still dont consider her my wife....haha....but seriously, how could any sane individual identify with the history and records of the team that was not their own prior to '84.

Talking Re: Colts Victory Could Be Baltimore's Win

Quote Originally Posted by birdbrain View Post
    If it were me in Indy, regardless of a super bowl win or not, I would not feel comfortable with someone else's history. If my ex-wife gets remarried, I still dont consider her my wife....haha
    Or, an even more accurate analogy: my wife does not get to celebrate my "scores" from when I was single!
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

6. Re: Colts Victory Could Be Baltimore's Win

You are soooo right!
    Taking back "our history" begins with Baltimore fans.

I have a Ravens jersey with #19 UNITAS.
    I encourage other Baltimore Football fans to do the same.
    Lets see Ravens jerseys in town and at games with names like Donovan, Moore, Marchetti, Parker, Ameche, Mackey, Braase, Mitchell, Mutshuler etc.

Steve Bischiotti needs to put Baltimore Football records in the Ravens press guide. He also needs to put up the afore mentioned names in the "Ring Of Honor" and lose Ernest Byners name. You younger Ravens fans who didn't know the Baltimore Colts must/should wrap your hearts around OUR football heros that you never saw play and have only heard about!!! (60 years from now a father and son attending their 1st pro football game together in Baltimore, the son asks his dad who Art Donovan was..they both can "Google" him on dads blackberry...these names cannot and must not be forgotten...slowly, due to time and some fans inability to see "the big picture", these names and the deeds they are known for are being removed from a Baltimore football fans consciousness, and as a fan...that is unacceptable and a disgrace!!!!)

Ask yourself what is more important...the "logo" or the "location"???

I'm a Baltimore Football fan 1st and foremost.
    I rooted for the colts when they were here and grew to love the name, colors and logo BUT, Baltimore was the reason of my loyalty, not a freakin' logo!!!
    I'm now a huge Ravens fan, love the colors BUT it's because they are Baltimore's team is why I'm a fan!!

We know from bad experience that one day (hopefully not) the name of Baltimore's current team could change again.
    You look in a NY Times from 1973 and look up the NFL standings...you'll find Baltimore, not the colts.
    You look in a NY Times from 2006 and look up the NFL standings...you'll find Baltimore, not the Ravens.
    Hypothetically, if you could look in a NY Times from 2085 and look up the NFL standings...hopefully you'll find Baltimore and hopefully they'll still be called the Ravens.

It's one lineage not two different teams!
    Don't let the NFL "powers that be" dictate to us and everyone else who and what our history is all about!

Take back our history!! (it begins on the "grass roots" level...with the fans!!!)
    Last edited by Tecumseh; 02-06-2007 at 10:54 AM.

This may be a dumb question, but has there ever been action from the MD legislaters to try and at least get the records back? And I'm not talking right after they left. Has it just become a lost cause and no one isnt doing anything about it? Is it just something that we think about when the Colts come to town?

Cause we all complain about it, but I never hear what excatly has been done in recent years.
    Waiting for the next one!!!

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    You don't seem to understand the mind-set of the Indy Cornholers fans.

-They honestly believe that Johnny Unitas played in Indy.
    -SuperBowl V is their win.
    -They marry first cousins.

Ok, that last one has nothing to do with football, but it is pretty disgusting.
    I wouldn't have put it this way but I think the point is correct. The Indy fans treat The Colts as theirs, everything including heritage, records, etc.

We are silly to them, because we can't understand our team moved. That's how they see it. They don't think they have any reason to give us anything.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Wink Re: Colts Victory Could Be Baltimore's Win

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFanIAm View Post
    Cause we all complain about it, but I never hear what excatly has been done in recent years.

Not much. However: Greg had a web-site posted a few years ago that was dedicated to returning our records. Several of us also unsuccesssfully attempted to have a public demonstration in Baltimore during an NFL owners meeting.

There is only one of two men that could really do something here: Bisciotti or Jimmy Irsay. If the State Legislature were to get involved, I doubt that a resolution would have any impact on the NFL, which acts as if public opinion is meaningless. I'd rather see the State Legislature pass legislation on something that would produce results, such as installing escalators to the upper deck or adding more restrooms.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

The Drunk always claimed that the MD legislature's eminent domain threat was the last straw that drove him out of town.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

They had 40,000 people downtown for their "celebration." That says all you need to know about their attachment to that team. They have little, thus they just don't understand our issues with OUR history.

12. Re: Colts Victory Could Be Baltimore's Win

Let's petition the NFL, the Hall of Fame, everyone! Heck Baltimore still owns the Lombardi Trophy from Superbowl V, it's sitting in the MD Sports Legends Musuem. C'mon 24X7 you guys should step up to the plate and lead all of us fans to restoring our NFL heritage. I'll be the first to sign up!