Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Fantasy Roundtable

Kurt Backert's 2006 Roundtable for Week 1 is now up on the home page and posted under the Fantasy Forum Drop down menu. Here's the link: http://www.profootball24x7.com/fantasy_round.php

Your feedback and questions are appreciated.

Re: The Fantasy Roundtable

- I sense a slight bit of homerism with the Ravens section, no way I'd start Clayton or Mason this week, Brian Kelly and Ronde Barber is a top notch corner combo, as with most of this year Heap is the only Raven I'd start in my FF teams.

- With the Bucs I'd be very tempted to start Alex Smith if I had him, for the last two or three years we've had a penchant for missing our assignments on TEs and particularly not closing them well if they run routes to the perimeters of the field, Smith's a good shot for some decent yardage this week I'd guess as Simms will have to throw plenty of dumpoffs.

- You're advising people to sit Losman? Who in their right mind would have him on their fantasy roster? ;)

- Certainly disagree with the assessment of the Chiefs, I don't care if the Bungholes do key on the pass game, they don't have anyone who can take Gonzalez out of that game. I'd also start Green if you were in a ten or 12 team league as it's unlikely there'll be 12 to 15 QBs who have better chances than him this week against the Bunghole secondary.

- I don't buy into the Steven Davis thing in StL as much as some folks are seeming to, he's there as cover because they have nout else behind Jackson, Jackson is a big bruiser and unless he wears I don't think you'll see much of Davis and his zimmer frame. (JMO)

- I agree with starting K2W but he's essentially a rookie and what's more a rookie coming off two serious leg injuries, he could explode but I wouldn't expect too much from him just yet.

- What's the gold zone? Is this a new term on top of the Red Zone?

- Don't start Erron Kinney, he's currently listed on the Titans injury report as being OUT, keep an eye on that if anyone has him. LINK

Good column there, but I got the impression that he's either very conservative, is a very good drafter or isn't advising for bigger leagues where you can't afford to sit everyone who appears to have a bad matchup. Be interesting to know the typical league/lineup size that he is advising for in consideration of future articles.
    Last edited by UKRavenStockers; 09-07-2006 at 12:54 PM.

Blog Entries

I probably wouldn't start Mason or Clayton either unless they were a 3rd or 4th WR in a big roster and no other WR to start. On the other side I have Galloway and am sitting him. Likely a defensive battle as has been discussed here.
    Admin Steve :uk:
    Screwing up Ravens message boards since 1999.

Uhh, either I'm blind or you guys forgot to put the Dolphins-Steelers game in that article.

Good call....Try the archives GW....we had that on earlier this week...but to save you the time, here you go http://www.profootball24x7.com/fanta...6&view=archive

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

I always play my best players unless they are injured. I can't tell you how many times I tried to diagnose the team they were going against only to have them still play big regardless. That's my philosophy, anyway.

Meant to mention this before....Kurt will be on with Anita Marks at 4:40 today on AM 1300 to discuss the Fantasy Faceoff and other fantasy topics: http://www.profootball24x7.com/fanta...8&view=archive

Hmm he persuaded me to start Clayton, now I'm wondering... It's a 12 team standard scoring and he'd be a 4th WR filling in as a W/TE competing for that job are Booker, Moulds and Fauria. I think I still start him over Moulds.

Also he pushed me over the edge in the Droughns (s) vs Bush and Brown as a 12 team 2nd back and Caldwell over Gabriel in same said league. All in all a good read. I don't think that homerism was too bad.

UKRS - don't you remember TG from when Roaf was out last year? He will be kept in to help with Pollack most of the game. IMO. I wouldn't start him either, and actually avoided drafting him for that reason.

Thanks for the Tony.

Here is a question for the board. Do I start:

1. Laverneous Coles vs the Titans
    2. Braylon Edwards vs the Saints
    3. Drop Coles or Edwards and pick up Donte Stallworth vs Houston

Thanks, I look forward to your input. (I'm leaning toward starting Coles or picking up Stallworth). Also we get half a point for receptions in this league.

Drop Coles for Stallworth, but start Braylon Edwards. Charlie Frye will be looking for him all game. Edwards is a great sleeper this year, he can often be had as a fifth WR and has far greater upside than anyone else you get in the final rounds. Stallworth vs. Houston is a pretty good matchup too, if you can't bring yourself to start the Brownie.

Also, if you have Derrick Mason, unless you have a ridiculous trio in front of him, you should play him every week. The Tampa zone has good players but no one man is going to shut down Mason, not with McNair throwing the ball. Heap is also a great play, and I'm even starting Jamal in the leagues where I don't have two top backs in front of him. Stover and the Baltimore defense are good plays as well. Playing Mark Clayton is probably a stretch, unless you don't have healthy guys with higher potential in front of him. But this is not a week where I'd shy away from starting Ravens. Even on the road, being in the season opener will have our guys fired up, and while we face a good defense, their offense will struggle with our defense too, meaning we'll have lots of opportunities with the ball, probably one or two from very good field position after turnovers.

I can tell you Mason's stat line right now; veteran fantasy players are familiar (and very frustrated) with it.

Anywhere from 6-10 catches for 95-99 yards, no touchdowns. Bank on him having that exact stat line more than just occasionally.
    ERIG20, your local draftnik

Signature currently under construction

Thanks for your advice Gabrosin. ERiG, any opinion on my fantasy dilemma?