Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Rex Grossman Is Why Kyle Boller Should Not Start

Quote Originally Posted by Tex Ritter View Post
    Oh, so now the Eiffel tower is perfectly straight? It's about as straight as Boller and Grossman's passes!
    Uhh! Yes it is Straight!!! I think you're talking about the tower in Pisa,Italy, not France! They're not even in the same country!! But, then again I'm not really sure what you're talking about since you seem to make up you own facts as you go along!
    ... They shall mount up with wings as Eagles;

I normally try to avoid this part of the forum, but as the Leaning Tower of Pisa/Eiffel Tower mix-up made me do this at my desk, I must add a:

:grbac:

Good job Tex!

OMG, maybe Tex is right!

One game is not called regressing. Every qb has bad games (even Steve McNair - see playoff game aganst the Colts- much worse than Boller in Cleveland BTW). The Browns game was not atrocious either. Factoring in the following preseason and two games that he played in the regular season you have to wonder why the only thing you can focus is on his one bad game in that stretch?
    That is not called inconsistant.

See I think this is the thing.

The hater will never just look at the stats for Kyle's last 10-12 games because he has a QB rating of about 100 and way more TDs than INT, and quite a few games with 3 TDs and 300 yards.

They want to look back to '04 when he was throwing to 1) NOT Todd Heap 2) Travesty Taylor 3) Kevin Johnson? 4) Aligator Arms Clarence Moore

And the o-line by far was shittier then. We lacked a RT and RG

But in any case, there is a lot to be said for Boller's progress. I think the extension of a contract to Boller or not extending it will come down to exactly what Newsome says it will come down to: how much more we see of Kyle.

What is his preseason play like next year? And, what is his play like in relief of McNair for injury reasons?

If the 2nd half of last season AND this season is any indicator, Kyle will continue to come in and be efficient with QB ratings around 100

And at that point the FO will be hard pressed to think it can draft a rookie who will do better. They will also be hard pressed to decide to give up on the investment, just to watch him go somewhere like, say, carolina with a Steve Smith and rip shit up.

Thats just my .02 cents.

Then again, I'm a Boller fan and I know that. Feel free to flame away.

Good lord, I thought I must have been misunderstanding Tex, but you all are right, he was mixing two famous towers. As it turns out, the Eiffel Tower and the Leaning Tower of Pisa have pretty much one thing in common, just like Kyle Boller and Rex Grossman: they are on the same continent as each other.

By way of demonstration:

Here's the Eiffel Tower:

From the top, ask yourself whether it is straight:

And here's the Leaning Tower of Pisa:

"HTH," as they say.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Oh, so now the Eiffel tower is perfectly straight? It's about as straight as Boller and Grossman's passes!
    Yeah Tex, about that whole senility thing. You might want to get it looked at.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    See I think this is the thing.

The hater will never just look at the stats for Kyle's last 10-12 games because he has a QB rating of about 100 and way more TDs than INT, and quite a few games with 3 TDs and 300 yards.

If the 2nd half of last season AND this season is any indicator, Kyle will continue to come in and be efficient with QB ratings around 100
    Kyle Boller had quite a few games with 300 yds? You mind showing me the boxscore to those games?

The Cincy game, after down being down 34-0, throwing 2 picks, and fumbling 3 times, he tossed some TDs. Sorry if that game doesn't exactly drum up support from me.

After that game he had a horrid game at Denver, 2 very nice games vs Min and GB and then another horrid game at Cleveland.

That is exactly why we went out and got McNair.

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    Say what? The 2nd half of last season he had ratings of 30.1, 67.2, 81.6, 70.0, 65.2, 136.8, 113.5, 31.1.

This year, in basically 2 games, his rating was 97 and 112.8. He played better than he had. We can argue the tipped balls in the Carolina game until we're blue in the face.

You think he can come in a just throw up 100 rating games whenever he wants? How about on the road?

Look, I like Boller as a backup. He did exactly what we needed him to do this season.

That's it.

PP

Edit: I'd take Boller over Grossman.
    Last edited by purplepoe; 02-06-2007 at 06:09 PM.

Tex.....you sure look foolish pal!

9. Re: Rex Grossman Is Why Kyle Boller Should Not Start

The Home/Road thing is not even worth talking about. The reason why Kyle has not played well on the road even since the GB game (not including preseason when he looked great on the road) is because he has only played in one game on the road since, and it happend to be a bad game for him (and the whole team). Yes, a younger qb will have a harder time on the road than at home, but if anything can be learned it can. Also, I challange anyone to find a qb in NFL history that could always do well at home but not on the road- its a non issue.

I do wonder why the Boller bashers are convinced that he can't be a good qb. What have you seen that convince you that he is not like the many qb's that come on late, in light of:

1 ) It is very common in the NFL for the qb to not play well untill he has more time in the league. There have been may qb's that have been written off and then had great careers.
    2) It is more likely for that to happen to a player like Boller who was a late bloomer in college.
    3) His last 5 games have been by far the best five game stretch in his career.
    4) His preseason this year was also his best by far.
    This is not to say that he will be a great qb for sure, my only question is why are they convinced that he won't be.

Quote Originally Posted by Baltoman07 View Post
    Tex.....you sure look foolish pal!
    If you go around saying the same thing over and over, and you don't say it well, and you mock people who disagree with you, I guess you don't get much slack when you step in your own pile of poo.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

The bottom line is this, we haven't seen enough of Boller one way or the other this season to truely know where he is at. On one hand, you can't look at his 2004 and 2005 seasons and say thats him, and he will never improve. ON the other hand, I don't think you can say exactly how much he's improved and that its enough to warrant a contract extension. Right now, Boller is valuable to this team in his current capacity, that's why I wouldn't trade him, you won't get back the value needed for next season right now. I trust ozzie will do the right thing by either letting him walk or signing him to an extension.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaPA View Post
    I trust ozzie will do the right thing by either letting him walk or signing him to an extension.

Welcome to the boards. A very sensible post.
    Festivus