Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Rex Grossman Is Why Kyle Boller Should Not Start

Sorry dude, but the numbers just don't lie. Let's look at the only two years where the player started all 16 games...
    Fair enough. Let's look at another QBs stats from his first full season as a starter.

415 attempts
    216 complete for 52% accuracy

2665 yards
    6.42 YPA
    14 TDs
    13 INTs

70.4 QB rating.

I guess Steve McNair is the same as Boller and Grossman. Stats don't lie after all.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Honestly, you're all going to hate me...I'm no hater/hugger or anything...

But I've got a feeling Boller is going to be given another shot once McNair is out after next year. There is also the potential you could see a guy like David Carr get a shot in Baltimore or the chance to compete with Boller for the job.

We're not going to be in position to draft a top-flight prospect unless we really bomb next year.

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Fair enough. Let's look at another QBs stats from his first full season as a starter.

415 attempts
    216 complete for 52% accuracy

2665 yards
    6.42 YPA
    14 TDs
    13 INTs

70.4 QB rating.

I guess Steve McNair is the same as Boller and Grossman. Stats don't lie after all.

I would agree with this argument if McNair had not been so successful in the years following. In fact, I am not arguing that Boller wont end up having a better career than Mac.

What I am arguing is this idea that Boller is somehow better than Grossman, when there is no actual evidence. So far, after one complete season, they both are equally (or too close to distinguish) bad.

Of course an opposite argument can also be made that Grossman hasn't shown himself to be much better than Boller.

4. Re: Rex Grossman Is Why Kyle Boller Should Not Start

Quote Originally Posted by Mobtown View Post
    And Boller has been consistant?

Sorry dude, but the numbers just don't lie. Let's look at the only two years where the player started all 16 games...

Grossman:
    2006att480comp262pct54.6yrds3193ypa6.65TD23INT20QB73.9

Boller:
    2004att464comp258pct55.6yrds2559ypa5.52TD13INT11QB70.9

Has Grossman been inconsistant? Definately....but so has our man Boller.

There is simply no difinitive proof that one is better than the other. In fact, the evidence (subjective and factual) shows that they are damn similar.

You can't even give Boller a point because he did not have the luxury of sitting on the sidelines for 2 years. Those extra 11 actual games should put him in a class above Grossman...

Boller = Grossman maybe
    Boller 04- 2nd year in the NFL
    Grossman 06- 4th year in the NFL
    This displays exactly what the Boller Bashers just dont get- you can't compare a young QB to one with more experince. Most qbs take time to progress, and many have bad starts. What you want to see is progress. Boller has shown his best most recently- in his past five regular season games, as well as the preseason. All but one of those games were impressive. We have not seen him get worse since- indicating that he might much better.

What I am arguing is this idea that Boller is somehow better than Grossman, when there is no actual evidence. So far, after one complete season, they both are equally (or too close to distinguish) bad.
    There are only two things that we can say for a fact Boller is better than Grossman.

-Boller has a better arm. Of course that doesn't make a better QB, but it is a part the QB package.

-Grossman went to Florida. Really bad QBs come from Florida. Of course Boller is a Tedford product and they don't turn out all that great.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by Mobtown View Post
    I would agree with this argument if McNair had not been so successful in the years following. In fact, I am not arguing that Boller wont end up having a better career than Mac.

What I am arguing is this idea that Boller is somehow better than Grossman, when there is no actual evidence.
    You must be joking -- you are not arguing that Boller won't end up having a better career than McNair, but you are arguing that Boller is not better than Grossman??? So, should we infer that you think Grossman will have a better career than McNair? I doubt it.

Grossman could get better, like Boller has gotten better, but right now I'd take Boller over Grossman in a heartbeat.

Nailed it.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    You must be joking -- you are not arguing that Boller won't end up having a better career than McNair, but you are arguing that Boller is not better than Grossman??? So, should we infer that you think Grossman will have a better career than McNair? I doubt it.

Grossman could get better, like Boller has gotten better, but right now I'd take Boller over Grossman in a heartbeat.

Comparing Boller or Grossman to McNair is ludacris. Mac has started 3x the number of regular season games and has shown that he can win in the playoffs. They are barely in the same league.

Boller getting better? Sure, OK...but what does that have to do with comparing Boller to Grossman now?

9. Re: Rex Grossman Is Why Kyle Boller Should Not Start

Quote Originally Posted by Tex Ritter View Post
    You must not be watching the same Boller as the rest of the world buddy. Boller has had only a handful of really good games and only once in his career two really good ones in a row (Green Bay and Minnesota) both of which were home games against NFC teams, and followed up by an absolutely atrocious performance against the Browns which cemented his demotion to a backup. So how in the hell is that not inconsistent or regressing?

Grossman and Boller are two friggin peas in pod.
    One game is not called regressing. Every qb has bad games (even Steve McNair - see playoff game aganst the Colts- much worse than Boller in Cleveland BTW). The Browns game was not atrocious either. Factoring in the following preseason and two games that he played in the regular season you have to wonder why the only thing you can focus is on his one bad game in that stretch?
    That is not called inconsistant.

Tex, they are not the same. Did you not read my posts, or do you just disagree?

Kyle *is* inconsistent, but he has gotten better over time. Rex has started fewer games and he may become more consistent, but so far he has only regressed as far as I can tell.

One thing Kyle has always been able to do, is to shake off mistakes and come back and play well. He does not get rattled, and Rex does.

That makes him a better quarterback.

Would it be too much to ask for you to stop laughing at everyone you disagree with? You *do* understand you are in a very small minority, so you end up laughing at pretty much everybody who bothers to respond to you, don't you?
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tex Ritter View Post
    How can you possibly not view Boller as wildly inconsistent? :insane: That would be like saying the Eiffel Tower isn't tilted!! Gimme a break that has to be the most ludicrous thing I have ever read on any forum right up there with Boller would have been a better choice to QB the Ravens this past season than McNair against the Colts!!!
    So what is it that you are saying, Boller is extremely consistent! Since the Eiffel tower IS NOT tilted I assume you mean the opposite of your statement. Or is it that you just don't know what you're talking about!
    ... They shall mount up with wings as Eagles;

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Tex is going to take a run at the Eiffel Tower doing his best Don Quixote and he is determined to make that damn thing lean just like that damn tower in Rome...Venice...err...Pisa?

Oh, and Tex, the only lean to the Eiffel Tower is when the girders exposed to the sun expand due to heat and grow a few centimeters more than the unheated ones. Something not perceptible to the human eye.