Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: To Those Concerned With Losing AD

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    You and most fans just underestimate him because he has only REALLY come on in the past 2 seasons.

He is every bit (and I might argue POSSIBLY moreso) the player that Ray Lewis was in 2001. It isn't popular because:

1. Ray was superbowl MVP
    2. Ray was the best player on our D for years and years (no argument here)
    3. Ray is still on teh team and playing at a relatively high level, so people overrate his importance on the CURRENT team and thereby underrate the importance of other key players like AD

4. AD has only really started doing his thang under Rex Ryan, who took over last year, during which we went 6-10 so his accomplishments for 1/2 of his "big years" got overlooked by many folk.

RnT, nobody disagrees with anything here, besides the part about underrating AD. Everybody knows he's terrific, and everybody wishes him the very best.

To quote the philosopher William "Bill" Munny, "Deserve's got nothing to do with it."

You can check out some more interesting material about Munny here. My point being, AD is an important part of our defense vintage 2006. The 2007 vintage will not be the same, but in Baltimore we always seem to have a good bottle.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    If someone who's more familiar with the cap would chime in, what's the cap hit if the Ravens deal Ray Lewis to a team this offseason.
    PP
    From B-more Ravor's post, in x's and o's.

Ray Lewis:

2007 cap number: $9.429M
    Unaccounted for bonus shares that will accelerate: $5.858M

2007 cap savings if released/retires: $3.571M

So theoretically it helps a little, coupled with(from same post):
    Jamal Lewis:

2007 Cap number: $11.667M
    Unaccounted for bonus shares that will accelerate: $3.333M

2007 Cap savings if/when released: $8.334M

Vincent:

2007 cap number: $2.017M
    Unaccounted for bonus shares that will accelerate: $417K

2007 cap savings if released/retires: $1.6M

And potentially a little more from JO or Flynn... Jo doesn't even save a Million unless he retires post June 1st. then:
    Ogden:

2007 cap number: $8.791M
    Unaccounted for bonus shares that will accelerate: $8.043M

2007 cap savings if released/retires: $748K

Post-June 1st release:

2007 savings: $6.11M
    2008 cap charge: $5.361M

Thanks Ravor....
    So I assume it's possible. But...

Then Who goes to MLB? Is Mike smith ready? Doubt it, more of a drop=off then Cody or Johnson would be, and much more of a drop=off then Suggs would be at SAM. Move Scott inside, ok Works, who plays Will? We could draft Patrick Willis in the first, but what if he doesn't last?

My point is we have better current roster depth at SAM OLB then either other LB spot and we should be able to produce a starting quality player, at least from last year's roster(to include JJ). I agree though that AD is better and younger and maybe in the september of his career not november like Ray. It would be a tough loss but sometimes it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post

Then Who goes to MLB? Is Mike smith ready? Doubt it, more of a drop=off then Cody or Johnson would be, and much more of a drop=off then Suggs would be at SAM. Move Scott inside, ok Works, who plays Will? We could draft Patrick Willis in the first, but what if he doesn't last?

My point is we have better current roster depth at SAM OLB then either other LB spot and we should be able to produce a starting quality player, at least from last year's roster(to include JJ). I agree though that AD is better and younger and maybe in the september of his career not november like Ray. It would be a tough loss but sometimes it happens.

Good points.

PP

remember we could alwyas play Bart Scott at MLB in an emergency...or sign some vet for cheap like Polley.

remember we could alwyas play Bart Scott at MLB in an emergency...or sign some vet for cheap like Polley.
    I know you think Ray is overrated and overpaid, but cmon dude. He played very well last season and was a big part of the D still.

He's not just some replaceable part.

AD is younger and better, yes.

It's a shame that we could possibly lose AD, but this FO isn't gonna do backflips and outlandish stuff to keep him.

It's not as easy as just trading people to try to free up some cap space for him. He plays a position that we're already heavily invested in and on the side of the ball where we spend the most money.

We all want AD to be a Raven for the next 5 years, but it might not happen.

PP

I'm not saying that Ray Lewis SUCKS. But he had a good year, not a dominant year, and hasn't had a dominant year in 4 seasons or so, but is still the highest paid MLB in football.

Ask yourself this: Did Ray Lewis do THAT much more (if any) than guys like London Fletcher, Al Wilson, or hell...even Demeco Ryans. At least did he do enough better to warrant the drastic difference in salary that he commands?

This much is not debatable, IMO...Ray is DRASTICALLY over paid, and because of that we are going to (potentially) lose the guy, who, in my OPINION, is far and away the best player on defense? And the stuff about how he makes other players better is dramatically over played. To be honest he was a huge part in alienating the locker room during the 2005 season. His public image may be that of a wild dog and leader, but over the course of the last 3 seasons he seems to be increasingly more about himself and himself only. Even if he does make "the players around him" better, is he worth that much more money than any other MLB in the league??

I know you don't like comparing it to the colts, but let's put it this way: Not comparing the players as the defensive counterparts or anything like that, but just in terms of importance...would you pay Edge James MORE than Peyton Manning?

Would you be happy if because James was the highest paid RB in the league, you weren't able to re-sign Peyton when his contract ran out?

That is similar to how I feel this situation is.

Ray is an above average to good middle linebacker. Thomas is the most versatile and dangerous defensive player in the league...in my opinion.

Yet the former's overinflated salary is a large part of us not re-signing the latter.

Seems unfair.

I'm not saying that Ray Lewis SUCKS. But he had a good year, not a dominant year, and hasn't had a dominant year in 4 seasons or so, but is still the highest paid MLB in football.

Ask yourself this: Did Ray Lewis do THAT much more (if any) than guys like London Fletcher, Al Wilson, or hell...even Demeco Ryans. At least did he do enough better to warrant the drastic difference in salary that he commands?

This much is not debatable, IMO...Ray is DRASTICALLY over paid, and because of that we are going to (potentially) lose the guy, who, in my OPINION, is far and away the best player on defense? And the stuff about how he makes other players better is dramatically over played. To be honest he was a huge part in alienating the locker room during the 2005 season. His public image may be that of a wild dog and leader, but over the course of the last 3 seasons he seems to be increasingly more about himself and himself only. Even if he does make "the players around him" better, is he worth that much more money than any other MLB in the league??

I know you don't like comparing it to the colts, but let's put it this way: Not comparing the players as the defensive counterparts or anything like that, but just in terms of importance...would you pay Edge James MORE than Peyton Manning?

Would you be happy if because James was the highest paid RB in the league, you weren't able to re-sign Peyton when his contract ran out?

That is similar to how I feel this situation is.

Ray is an above average to good middle linebacker. Thomas is the most versatile and dangerous defensive player in the league...in my opinion.

Yet the former's overinflated salary is a large part of us not re-signing the latter.

Seems unfair.

Unfair? The Ravens signed Ray to the deal. You can't go around looking for "fairness" in the NFL.

Look, Rolle's salary and cap number is huge. Why aren't you wanting to move him? He had a very average to below average year, wouldn't you say?

There are others on this team that you could say are "overpaid", yet you want to get rid of Ray? Yea, let's just sign Tommy Polley.

If the Ravens can sign AD, they most certainly will. It's just the reality of the NFL these days that you lose players that you want to keep.

When have you ever seen a team trade a guy to keep another? It just doesn't happen because it's a very difficult thing to do.

You say it's not debateable that Ray is overpaid, yet you said it's your opinion. Ray is the leader of this D. The players still say it and the coaches still say it. You don't like the guy and it's apparent. That's fine. But he's not getting dealt.

PP

The difference- linebackers are consistently the deepest part of our roster, year in and year out. Behind Samari Rolle, we have no one worth a damn. We are paying a premium on him so we don't have to start a guy like Oglesby.

Plus, in general, cornerbacks are more expensive than middle linebackers.

It's not that I don't LIKE ray, per se, but just that I see him as a barrier to keeping our better players around and it isn't worth it anymore.

Probably worth its own thread, but Donnie Edwards was just on ESPN News and totally TRASHED A.J. Smith and maintained that there is literally a 0% chance that he is a Charger next year...

Now THIS is an intriguing guy to bring in IF we do lose AD (or, more preferably to me, deal Ray). He would replace some of that veteran leadership, and is one hell of a player, despite being old.

Probably worth its own thread, but Donnie Edwards was just on ESPN News and totally TRASHED A.J. Smith and maintained that there is literally a 0% chance that he is a Charger next year...

Now THIS is an intriguing guy to bring in IF we do lose AD (or, more preferably to me, deal Ray). He would replace some of that veteran leadership, and is one hell of a player, despite being old.
    There's something going on there. Edwards and Smith have been at each other for years.

Smith has repeatedly tried to move Edwards even though Edwards is a good player and a popular one as well.

Smith has made some great personnel moves over the years, but he must be a real headache to work with.

PP

This is going to sound odd, but re-signing AD would hurt our chances at re-signing what to me has nwo become a more important player of ours. Pashos is a necessity to sign, much, much more importnat to the success of this team then is AD. We have such lttle deoth at the OLINE and continuity is the biggest predictor of success, so...

I came to terms a while ago(before the season started( that AD would be moving on, but now as I sit here I jsut cannot fathom how far the team would fall if We fail to re=sign Pashos then Ogden decides to hang 'em up in camp. We could go right back to 6-10 like that.

Nailed it. AD is important, but not as important as a combined Tony Pashos, Ovie Mughelli, Jarret Johnson, etc. The stakes are too high to be sentimental.

The goal is to *win*, not to field the world's most dominant crew of linebackers for the nth year in a row.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.