Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

To Those Concerned With Losing AD

This is not an exact correlation, but when the Colts loss Ed James, folks thought their offense would not be the same. The Colts, however, drafted Josepf Addai and combined with Dominic Rhodes, their running game was just as good, if not better. Ed James, meanwhile, was not as impressive with the Cards. Addai is a different runner than James, but his different style gave the Colts a new look.

My point is that AD will be a loss, but AD is a product of our defensive system. AD will be good, but as great outside our defensive scheme. Meanwhile, we could draft someone to replace AD and our defense will still be the dominant crew it was last season. That drafted replacement may be different from AD, but maybe that's a good thing.

Bottomline, I don't think AD will thrive outside our defense, but he deserves to get his money somewhere else. Also, our defense, even without AD, will still be the best in the NFL next year because it is a perfect blend of young and veteran talent.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Re: To Those Concerned With Losing AD

I don't really recall too many people who thought the Colts offense would drop off much if at all after losing James.

As for AD, I have little doubt in my mind that there are a couple of places where he could end up and really thrive (San Francisco and New England are the two that really come to mind), but that if he ends up somewhere, he could struggle.

Assuming he leaves, I think rather than a true replacement for AD, you might start to see them feature Suggs more often, while working in the actual replacement. AD will be hard to replace, but I have confidence that Newsome will do a good job finding another player to fit in, and Ryan will find a way to make that player work.

Quote Originally Posted by HDDream View Post
    I don't really recall too many people who thought the Colts offense would drop off much if at all after losing James.

As for AD, I have little doubt in my mind that there are a couple of places where he could end up and really thrive (San Francisco and New England are the two that really come to mind), but that if he ends up somewhere, he could struggle.

Assuming he leaves, I think rather than a true replacement for AD, you might start to see them feature Suggs more often, while working in the actual replacement. AD will be hard to replace, but I have confidence that Newsome will do a good job finding another player to fit in, and Ryan will find a way to make that player work.
    There were question marks as would naturally occur considering they lost their star feature RB and replaced him with a rookie (Addai) and journeyman-career backup RB (Rhodes). That combo, however is more productive than just having the one guy in James.

The two RB combo is the future.

I'd be more worried if we lost Rex. As long as we have the mad scientist, we will scheme for changes in personnel.

Good post, PR.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

I'm not as worried about AD leaving as I am about him leaving and us getting nothing in return.

NE would be a great spot, they've got mega cap room and tons of 1st day picks.

I'd kill to pick up #24 or a high second.

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRaven View Post
    I'm not as worried about AD leaving as I am about him leaving and us getting nothing in return.

NE would be a great spot, they've got mega cap room and tons of 1st day picks.

I'd kill to pick up #24 or a high second.
    Those are my sentiments exactly.

I can deal with losing AD. He's a one of a kind athlete and one of a kind man, but he's going to be 30 and he's somewhat of a system guy.

I think we can draft someone to replace him and get similar production out of a young gun for years to come. However, the key is to get SOMETHING for AD. He's (in my mind) by far the best OLB in the game right now.

If we could get a 2nd rounder for AD I'd be stoked. In fact, I think the Ravens would be much better off. We could trade AD and a likely high salary for someone like Rufus Alexander, Anthony Spencer, or someone similar. Hell, it may even enable us to grab a RB high or another needed position.

But you know what? It's a damn shame Dan Cody hasn't shown much promise. The guy is a great athlete, he's a MONSTER, and he was one of the best DE's coming out of college a few years back. I was thinking that with his development, he could match AD's production, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Without all of the injuries, Cody and Musa Smith would probably be starters next season, and would be among some of the better up-and-coming stars in the NFL. Injuries are a bitch.

Lboogy,

I would love for us to tag and trade AD, but WNST's Drew made it very clear that would be a tasteless and classless thing for the organization to do to AD. Drew stated that such a move would leave a bad taste in the mouth of current players and any future players, and we should give AD the right to chose his team and not have his next move dictated by us.

In theory, he is right as it seems the NFL really value that market time, but I am a shrewd person and would still think of the draft picks we could gain.

We will get compensatory picks in 2008 for AD (probably a 3rd rounder).

I wish AD the best in his future, but we must also think of our future.

If you tag a player and then trade him, do you take any kind of cap hit?

Like PR said, that would be a pretty underhanded move unless AD gets to pick the team he is traded to.
    "This year, our attitude when we’re on the field is we’re attacking, we want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it."
    -Mark Clayton

Quote Originally Posted by bassgtrst View Post
    If you tag a player and then trade him, do you take any kind of cap hit?

Like PR said, that would be a pretty underhanded move unless AD gets to pick the team he is traded to.
    Not if the new team pays his salary.

I doubt that will happen. He's a good LB but for that kind of trade the new team would have to want him for the cap-unfriendly franchise salary, unless there was a *separate* deal with him to restructure immediately, at which point you are now talking about a pretty complicated trade: Ravens tag AD *on the condition that* another team is going to trade for him, *on the condition that* AD will agree to a cap-friendly contract.

I doubt it.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

If we were to "tag" AD, it would not be to try and trade him for draft picks.

No team will trade away 1st round draft picks (which is what it would cost them) for a 30 year old player regardless of how good he may be.

I agree with Tonys article on this subject, and Drews thoughts on WNST.

AD has earned his pay day, and it's time for him to go get it.

Tagging AD would certainly be a way to keep him, but at what price?

Number 1, I think you would seriously piss him off as it would further deminish his chances of getting a big pay day next year as he'll be even older.

Secondly, I think the move would piss off alot of members on the team.
    Regardless of how close they may be, it's still a business to them in many aspects that they're trying to set themselves up for life in.
    I don't think useing the tag on an individual like AD would set a good example to alot of players in that lockerroom.

I also think by letting him go, you open some eyes to other potential free agents down the road that we're willing to let a player reach his maximum potential in this business making this place an even more attractive destination for them.

The only way I see AD coming back is if he takes another home town discount.
    The only way I see that happening is if other teams don't want to spend the type of $$ he is looking for on a 30 year old hybrid player.

Same approach we're basically taking I believe.

This is one of the parts of the NFL that truely sucks sometimes from a fans' perspective, and quite frankly I think it sucks from front offices' and teammates' perspective as well when it comes to certain players.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

losing AD is much more like losing Peyton Manning than it would be to losing Edgerrin James. This much is unarguable. People love Ray but they don't realize that the defense literally RAN through AD last season.

I would love for us to tag and trade AD, but WNST's Drew made it very clear that would be a tasteless and classless thing for the organization to do to AD. Drew stated that such a move would leave a bad taste in the mouth of current players and any future players, and we should give AD the right to chose his team and not have his next move dictated by us.
    I call bullshit on this.

When exactly did the franchise tag, which was agreed to by the Players Assoc., be tantamount to getting bent over and fisted? If AD is tagged, he will make the average of the top 5 at his position, and get millions more per year than he's gotten before. Excuse me if I'm not crying for "show me the money"'s predicament.

And anyone who thinks that he'll play down from his abilities if tagged is nuts.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012