Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: To Those Concerned With Losing AD

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRaven View Post

The one thing we can all be happy about is that Rex Ryan is still our defensive coordinator. Has the guy ever gave us a reason to doubt his preparation and planning?

We'll see something new in '07 and love our defense once again.
    Absolutely!
    ... They shall mount up with wings as Eagles;

Or maybe they just watch the ball and don't realize what an impact AD has on every single down.
    I realize the impact that AD had on every down. I understand how he helped our D. I appreciate AD, trust me.

People live so much in the past that they ignore what they see in the present.
    Funny isnt it you who states:

it won't dominate like it did this year. It will struggle more to confuse opponents than it did this year, and you'll see a drastic decrease in QB pressure, sacks, and turnovers, IMO. But it'll still be a top 8 or so defense.
    Sounds like your a big fan of the horrible offense paired with the dominate D. That hasnt worked since 2000 and its not going to work again.

Take your own advice, look to the future. AD (while a great player and person) is NOT worth mortgaging the future for. We are going to need to work on the running game this offseason. A great D is worthless w/o a running game.
    "This year, our attitude when we’re on the field is we’re attacking, we want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it."
    -Mark Clayton

RavensNTerps, everyone says he's good. Nobody *wants* him to go.

It's part of the business of football. Our defense has too many studs to keep them all together.

It's hard to be the best, but we try.

Have a cold one and think of AD, wish him the best. :toast:

We'll be fine, you'll see.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Our offense sucked of its own volition this year. Seriously, there's not many people we could sign that would improve our O dramatically anymore. We're not talking the days of Travis Taylor and Clarence Moore as your 1-2 punch. There isn't a RB on the market who will be so pricy that signing AD would prevent us from signing him.

Our offense HAS weapons now. Heap, Clayton, Mason, and Williams. They are all under contract, none of them (unless Mason bitches hard enough) will not be here next year no matter what happens with AD.

So it isn't an offense vs. defense thing. The offensive pieces are in place and will not change (excpet money cleared up from bye bye to Jamal). AD is the best player on the best defense in football.

I would do everything I can to keep him even if it meant trading a Ray Lewis (older, more wear and tear, and does less for the team). Would you trade Derrick Mason if it meant keeping Todd Heap?

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    Would you trade Derrick Mason if it meant keeping Todd Heap?
    Moot. That has nothing to do with the price of tea in China.

Try these questions, instead:
    Will you resign Tony Pashos? Ovie Mughelli? Will you add depth at guard, and tackle, and maybe even make a run at Eric Steinbach of Cincinnati? Will you cut and then try to resign Jamal Lewis at a discount rate? Even on defense, will you sacrifice Jarret Johnson?

Will you make all these sacrifices, at all these positions, just to have AD for *one* year, or will you give all these players up forever?
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Sigh.

The Ravens losing AD vs. the Colts losing Manning?

I love AD but that comparison isn't in the same zip code. Hell, area code.

:grbac:

PP

i was exaggerating, but my point is that everyone knew the RB was expendable in the Colts system. AD isn't the equivalent of James, he's CLOSER to equalling the loss of Manning than he is James...we'll call it a draw and say that it would be CLOSEST to losing Harrison.

Sorry RNT, but I disagree with you. I don't think there will be more than a 5 point drop in our defense (from #1-#6). I gave myself a cushion, I really think we'll be between 2-4.

I love what AD does but comparing him to Peyton Manning (1st ballot HOFer) and Marvin Harrison (1st ballot HOFer) is a stretch. He is not their defensive equivalant. Ray Lewis in his prime was.

People think that losing AD is going to destroy us. Do our fans not remember history? We lost in 1 season: Goose, Adams, McCrary, Sharper, Woodson, and Starks in one season along with our brilliant DC, Marvin Lewis. And we replaced all of them with inferior talent. Quite frankly losing just Sharper (who is wildly underrated, he led the league in tackles one year) and one of those other guys is the same as losing AD. Disagree with that but I know you cannot argue that he is more important than all of them together.

So after losing all these guys, how far did we fall? Something like 10 spots, I think we ended up around 13th. Statistically a slightly above middle of the pack defense although they always played scrappy ball. And you know what, we survived ok with that group. If we can get by with only Ray, Boulware, McAlister, Reed, and a bunch of rookies (and/or scrubs) we will certainly be ok with 10 of 11 returning starters of the #1 D in the league.

In fact I guarantee that almost every other team would trade their D's straight up for our 10 of 11 starters.

We need to use the money AD deserves to fix the near complete overhaul of the offense. We are so close to being a complete team, now is not the time to lose sight of that.

You and most fans just underestimate him because he has only REALLY come on in the past 2 seasons.

He is every bit (and I might argue POSSIBLY moreso) the player that Ray Lewis was in 2001. It isn't popular because:

1. Ray was superbowl MVP
    2. Ray was the best player on our D for years and years (no argument here)
    3. Ray is still on teh team and playing at a relatively high level, so people overrate his importance on the CURRENT team and thereby underrate the importance of other key players like AD

4. AD has only really started doing his thang under Rex Ryan, who took over last year, during which we went 6-10 so his accomplishments for 1/2 of his "big years" got overlooked by many folk.

Everybody loves AD. But this whole thing is becoming like a cult or something. AD was probably one of the greatest all around players in the NFL. But our system will adjust. It's the next man up theory. AD deserves his payday and he will get it, because the Ravens are not going to franchise him or trade him or transition him. It's time for him to leave the nest and it's the right thing to do.

I just think it would be more prudent to trade a Ray Lewis and keep AD. That's all. AD at this point is a much (not a little bit, a lot) better player than Ray is at this point, and, it's sad to say, for the level of play Ray Lewis is DRASTICALLY overpaid at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    I just think it would be more prudent to trade a Ray Lewis and keep AD. That's all. AD at this point is a much (not a little bit, a lot) better player than Ray is at this point, and, it's sad to say, for the level of play Ray Lewis is DRASTICALLY overpaid at this point.
    The Ravens would love to do this if there wasn't a cap.

You can't just trade Ray and all of a sudden have the room to sign AD.

I'd love to do that to if it were possible.

If someone who's more familiar with the cap would chime in, what's the cap hit if the Ravens deal Ray Lewis to a team this offseason.

PP