Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

To Those Concerned With Losing AD

This is not an exact correlation, but when the Colts loss Ed James, folks thought their offense would not be the same. The Colts, however, drafted Josepf Addai and combined with Dominic Rhodes, their running game was just as good, if not better. Ed James, meanwhile, was not as impressive with the Cards. Addai is a different runner than James, but his different style gave the Colts a new look.

My point is that AD will be a loss, but AD is a product of our defensive system. AD will be good, but as great outside our defensive scheme. Meanwhile, we could draft someone to replace AD and our defense will still be the dominant crew it was last season. That drafted replacement may be different from AD, but maybe that's a good thing.

Bottomline, I don't think AD will thrive outside our defense, but he deserves to get his money somewhere else. Also, our defense, even without AD, will still be the best in the NFL next year because it is a perfect blend of young and veteran talent.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Re: To Those Concerned With Losing AD

I don't really recall too many people who thought the Colts offense would drop off much if at all after losing James.

As for AD, I have little doubt in my mind that there are a couple of places where he could end up and really thrive (San Francisco and New England are the two that really come to mind), but that if he ends up somewhere, he could struggle.

Assuming he leaves, I think rather than a true replacement for AD, you might start to see them feature Suggs more often, while working in the actual replacement. AD will be hard to replace, but I have confidence that Newsome will do a good job finding another player to fit in, and Ryan will find a way to make that player work.

Quote Originally Posted by HDDream View Post
    I don't really recall too many people who thought the Colts offense would drop off much if at all after losing James.

As for AD, I have little doubt in my mind that there are a couple of places where he could end up and really thrive (San Francisco and New England are the two that really come to mind), but that if he ends up somewhere, he could struggle.

Assuming he leaves, I think rather than a true replacement for AD, you might start to see them feature Suggs more often, while working in the actual replacement. AD will be hard to replace, but I have confidence that Newsome will do a good job finding another player to fit in, and Ryan will find a way to make that player work.
    There were question marks as would naturally occur considering they lost their star feature RB and replaced him with a rookie (Addai) and journeyman-career backup RB (Rhodes). That combo, however is more productive than just having the one guy in James.

The two RB combo is the future.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

I'd be more worried if we lost Rex. As long as we have the mad scientist, we will scheme for changes in personnel.

Good post, PR.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

If you tag a player and then trade him, do you take any kind of cap hit?

Like PR said, that would be a pretty underhanded move unless AD gets to pick the team he is traded to.
    "This year, our attitude when we’re on the field is we’re attacking, we want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it."
    -Mark Clayton

Quote Originally Posted by bassgtrst View Post
    If you tag a player and then trade him, do you take any kind of cap hit?

Like PR said, that would be a pretty underhanded move unless AD gets to pick the team he is traded to.
    Not if the new team pays his salary.

I doubt that will happen. He's a good LB but for that kind of trade the new team would have to want him for the cap-unfriendly franchise salary, unless there was a *separate* deal with him to restructure immediately, at which point you are now talking about a pretty complicated trade: Ravens tag AD *on the condition that* another team is going to trade for him, *on the condition that* AD will agree to a cap-friendly contract.

I doubt it.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

If we were to "tag" AD, it would not be to try and trade him for draft picks.

No team will trade away 1st round draft picks (which is what it would cost them) for a 30 year old player regardless of how good he may be.

I agree with Tonys article on this subject, and Drews thoughts on WNST.

AD has earned his pay day, and it's time for him to go get it.

Tagging AD would certainly be a way to keep him, but at what price?

Number 1, I think you would seriously piss him off as it would further deminish his chances of getting a big pay day next year as he'll be even older.

Secondly, I think the move would piss off alot of members on the team.
    Regardless of how close they may be, it's still a business to them in many aspects that they're trying to set themselves up for life in.
    I don't think useing the tag on an individual like AD would set a good example to alot of players in that lockerroom.

I also think by letting him go, you open some eyes to other potential free agents down the road that we're willing to let a player reach his maximum potential in this business making this place an even more attractive destination for them.

The only way I see AD coming back is if he takes another home town discount.
    The only way I see that happening is if other teams don't want to spend the type of $$ he is looking for on a 30 year old hybrid player.

Same approach we're basically taking I believe.

This is one of the parts of the NFL that truely sucks sometimes from a fans' perspective, and quite frankly I think it sucks from front offices' and teammates' perspective as well when it comes to certain players.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

losing AD is much more like losing Peyton Manning than it would be to losing Edgerrin James. This much is unarguable. People love Ray but they don't realize that the defense literally RAN through AD last season.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    losing AD is much more like losing Peyton Manning than it would be to losing Edgerrin James. This much is unarguable. People love Ray but they don't realize that the defense literally RAN through AD last season.
    Not only is this 'arguable,' it's just wrong. It didn't run "through" AD, it ran through Rex Ryan. The scheme will adjust when he's gone, and it won't have to adjust much. We like to talk about how he can play safety and corner, but the fact is, that hardly ever happened.

I'm not denigrating his considerable talents, I'm just saying, don't make him more then he is.

Quote Originally Posted by crow89
    I agree CY...didn't the Ravens tag CMac a couple of times?
    Yes. We could afford it then, and if you are referring to him saying he didn't mind the big franchise payday, he did say that. Now we can't afford it, and even if we could, as TL points out we're probably better as a team taking that same $$$ and investing it on the *other* side of the ball.

:2c:
    Festivus

You can call foul all you want regarding players crying about the franchise tag because it was agreed upon by the CBA, but it's not going to change the way they feel.
    Particurally to a 30 year old player.

The key here being his age.

C-mac was younger when he was tagged and still had plenty of opportunity to rake in a big contract after those years he was tagged.
    C-mac still had alot of growing up to do as well, and I don't think the FO was willing to cough up major coin in a long committment to a guy they viewed as somewhat unstable.

It is also a hell of alot easier to replace a DE/linebacker in our system then it is a good corner.
    Quite frankly, same could be said for most teams.
    Losing C-mac was not an option due to his position.

The drop off from C-mac to another fill in is dramatic in most cases.

Replacing AD is not as difficult IMO.
    Certainly AD is a rare breed of player, and we'll lose something, but I'm not gonna be sitting in my seat waiting for something tragic to happen because he's not there.

Lose a C-mac, and then you have tragedy waiting to bite you in the ass everytime Carson Palmer, Ben Rothlisberger, Peyton Manning and every other freakin' QB that drops back to pass takes the snap.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

ok, a couple of things....

Rhodes, a Journeyman caqreer backup? Huh, he has been in the league 5 seasons, all with the colts and he has started for 2 complete seasons... out of 5. His rookie year was during an Edge injury and he got over 1100 yards and 9 td's. THIS year he started every single game. Addai was the change of pace off the bench, he just simply got a larger workload as the season progressed. HE was the first RB in history to gain 1000 yards in a season that they never started even one game.

Secondly - losing AD like losing Peyton?

You my freind are on crack. Losing AD is maybe even along hte lines of EDGE as he is realistically Behind Rex Ryan, Ray Lew, Reed and CMAC as far as importance to the Defense. There is no player in the entire NFL with as much impact on his team'a success as Peyton. AD albeit a very good player, is NOWHERE NEAR that. To be honest with his aging and the emergence of Bart Scott I wouldn't be surprised if next year or the year after he wouldn't even be the best OLB on the team anymore.

Thirdly - Tag and Trade.
    Teams will never pay anything for a tagged player... UNLESS they feel like they will get more then one year of service out of the player. Hmm... How would that work out, oh yeah by having a contreact in place before the trade occurrs. It would essentially be much like the McNair and Branch trades from last year, but with a tag, as compared to a single year left on a contract. It would be mostly similar from AD'as perspective about choosing hsi own team, though it woul deat into his payday a bit I would imagine, as a team would have to figure on a first day pict in compensation. So we tag him, and say go test the FA waters pick a couple of teams we will talk to them and then get back to you. They can even work something out so that he really does get more control by allowing the team of his choice to not have to EXCEED the trade offer of others, jsut approach it. That is how you turn a "Classless" tactic into a classy one. AD loves this team and knbows we need the picks with the upcoming purge and should feel liek he owes us the cahnce at compensation. Afterallo if we hadn't drafted him, would he even be in the league today? Probably but I DOUBT he'd be a pro-bowler.

Finally, how will we be without him... Just fine. I think we would still be instantly the favorite for the preseason best defense. You jsut have to shift around and shape up a bit to accomodate. Maybe we are a little less explosive, whatever. We will be light on depth however at OLB/DE. I think the answer actually lies in... get this...

Suggs moves back to OLB, take on a role that is a little more limited then AD had. Cody and JJ(re-sign him) and Dwan Edwards can fight for DE or rotate in and out, Or Cody and Johnson can fight it out at OLB, but the key here is... whomever the replacemetn is, they will only be on the field in the base Defense. In the nickle/Dime packages they will leave the field, if playing at OLB Suggs will put his hand in the dirt much like AD did. If at DE, he'll simply stay on the field. Not a terribly bad quandary if you ask me. Especially if you get a Rufus Alexander in the first or Paul Polsuzny(sp?) in the second. or the like.

Ok end rant.

I would love for us to tag and trade AD, but WNST's Drew made it very clear that would be a tasteless and classless thing for the organization to do to AD. Drew stated that such a move would leave a bad taste in the mouth of current players and any future players, and we should give AD the right to chose his team and not have his next move dictated by us.
    I call bullshit on this.

When exactly did the franchise tag, which was agreed to by the Players Assoc., be tantamount to getting bent over and fisted? If AD is tagged, he will make the average of the top 5 at his position, and get millions more per year than he's gotten before. Excuse me if I'm not crying for "show me the money"'s predicament.

And anyone who thinks that he'll play down from his abilities if tagged is nuts.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012