Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: To Those Concerned With Losing AD

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    I call bullshit on this.

When exactly did the franchise tag, which was agreed to by the Players Assoc., be tantamount to getting bent over and fisted? If AD is tagged, he will make the average of the top 5 at his position, and get millions more per year than he's gotten before. Excuse me if I'm not crying for "show me the money"'s predicament.

And anyone who thinks that he'll play down from his abilities if tagged is nuts.
    I agree CY...didn't the Ravens tag CMac a couple of times?
    we aren't just loyal, we are obsessed. and we are violently so. we are baltimore, and we are the epitome of dysfunctionality.

If AD were to be tagged and traded it would more than likely happen only with AD's prior approval to the team he is going to and having negotiated a new deal with that team. Nobody should overreact about that situation of being unfair. AD will be taken care of. Doing that kind of deal for draft picks is probablty not a viable scenario. The tag and trade definitely works if the Ravens can fill a position of need, like RB. There is a potential trading partner down the street. Rumor has it that Tony is working on an article about that option to see if it indeed makes sense. Can't wait to read it.

Meaty,

If your reffering to the Redskins, maybe we can get a first out of them too!

Betts or Portis??
    "This year, our attitude when we’re on the field is we’re attacking, we want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it."
    -Mark Clayton

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    losing AD is much more like losing Peyton Manning than it would be to losing Edgerrin James. This much is unarguable. People love Ray but they don't realize that the defense literally RAN through AD last season.
    Not only is this 'arguable,' it's just wrong. It didn't run "through" AD, it ran through Rex Ryan. The scheme will adjust when he's gone, and it won't have to adjust much. We like to talk about how he can play safety and corner, but the fact is, that hardly ever happened.

I'm not denigrating his considerable talents, I'm just saying, don't make him more then he is.

Quote Originally Posted by crow89
    I agree CY...didn't the Ravens tag CMac a couple of times?
    Yes. We could afford it then, and if you are referring to him saying he didn't mind the big franchise payday, he did say that. Now we can't afford it, and even if we could, as TL points out we're probably better as a team taking that same $$$ and investing it on the *other* side of the ball.

:2c:
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

You can call foul all you want regarding players crying about the franchise tag because it was agreed upon by the CBA, but it's not going to change the way they feel.
    Particurally to a 30 year old player.

The key here being his age.

C-mac was younger when he was tagged and still had plenty of opportunity to rake in a big contract after those years he was tagged.
    C-mac still had alot of growing up to do as well, and I don't think the FO was willing to cough up major coin in a long committment to a guy they viewed as somewhat unstable.

It is also a hell of alot easier to replace a DE/linebacker in our system then it is a good corner.
    Quite frankly, same could be said for most teams.
    Losing C-mac was not an option due to his position.

The drop off from C-mac to another fill in is dramatic in most cases.

Replacing AD is not as difficult IMO.
    Certainly AD is a rare breed of player, and we'll lose something, but I'm not gonna be sitting in my seat waiting for something tragic to happen because he's not there.

Lose a C-mac, and then you have tragedy waiting to bite you in the ass everytime Carson Palmer, Ben Rothlisberger, Peyton Manning and every other freakin' QB that drops back to pass takes the snap.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

ok, a couple of things....

Rhodes, a Journeyman caqreer backup? Huh, he has been in the league 5 seasons, all with the colts and he has started for 2 complete seasons... out of 5. His rookie year was during an Edge injury and he got over 1100 yards and 9 td's. THIS year he started every single game. Addai was the change of pace off the bench, he just simply got a larger workload as the season progressed. HE was the first RB in history to gain 1000 yards in a season that they never started even one game.

Secondly - losing AD like losing Peyton?

You my freind are on crack. Losing AD is maybe even along hte lines of EDGE as he is realistically Behind Rex Ryan, Ray Lew, Reed and CMAC as far as importance to the Defense. There is no player in the entire NFL with as much impact on his team'a success as Peyton. AD albeit a very good player, is NOWHERE NEAR that. To be honest with his aging and the emergence of Bart Scott I wouldn't be surprised if next year or the year after he wouldn't even be the best OLB on the team anymore.

Thirdly - Tag and Trade.
    Teams will never pay anything for a tagged player... UNLESS they feel like they will get more then one year of service out of the player. Hmm... How would that work out, oh yeah by having a contreact in place before the trade occurrs. It would essentially be much like the McNair and Branch trades from last year, but with a tag, as compared to a single year left on a contract. It would be mostly similar from AD'as perspective about choosing hsi own team, though it woul deat into his payday a bit I would imagine, as a team would have to figure on a first day pict in compensation. So we tag him, and say go test the FA waters pick a couple of teams we will talk to them and then get back to you. They can even work something out so that he really does get more control by allowing the team of his choice to not have to EXCEED the trade offer of others, jsut approach it. That is how you turn a "Classless" tactic into a classy one. AD loves this team and knbows we need the picks with the upcoming purge and should feel liek he owes us the cahnce at compensation. Afterallo if we hadn't drafted him, would he even be in the league today? Probably but I DOUBT he'd be a pro-bowler.

Finally, how will we be without him... Just fine. I think we would still be instantly the favorite for the preseason best defense. You jsut have to shift around and shape up a bit to accomodate. Maybe we are a little less explosive, whatever. We will be light on depth however at OLB/DE. I think the answer actually lies in... get this...

Suggs moves back to OLB, take on a role that is a little more limited then AD had. Cody and JJ(re-sign him) and Dwan Edwards can fight for DE or rotate in and out, Or Cody and Johnson can fight it out at OLB, but the key here is... whomever the replacemetn is, they will only be on the field in the base Defense. In the nickle/Dime packages they will leave the field, if playing at OLB Suggs will put his hand in the dirt much like AD did. If at DE, he'll simply stay on the field. Not a terribly bad quandary if you ask me. Especially if you get a Rufus Alexander in the first or Paul Polsuzny(sp?) in the second. or the like.

Ok end rant.

losing AD is much more like losing Peyton Manning
    Losing Ray Lewis and Ed Reed would acutally be more like losing Peyton.

And guess what? That happened and the D still ranked top 10.

Losing AD is NOT the end of the world people. The Pats have let Ty Law, Willie McGinest, Lawyer Malloy, Adam Vinatieri, and Deion Branch all walk and in the years they made those moves they won 3 SBs, won a playoff game and went to the AFCCG this year.
    "This year, our attitude when we’re on the field is we’re attacking, we want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it."
    -Mark Clayton

Except that it isn't. Losing Ray Lewis and Ed Reed would be like losing Harrison and Wayne...Manning would still be good.

AD is hardly the Peyton Manning of defense. But he isn't Edgerrin James replaceable either.

Your comparison is flat out wrong if Im reading it correctly.

Your saying that if Manning were to leave Indy, their O wouldnt be good.

Your saying that if we lose AD our D wont be good??

Im sorry but Scott, Lewis, Suggs, Pryce, Gregg, Ngata, CMac, and Reed still will be just as good.
    -Mark Clayton

Don't get me wrong, I love AD as much as the next guy and hate to see him go, but anyone who thinks our defense is going to fall apart without him is definitely doing some pretty good drugs and must not know much about our defense.

Rex Ryan is the key to our defense and as bassgtrst pointed out, in 2005 we lost both Ed Reed AND Ray Lewis and still finished as the fifth ranked defense in the League in yardage!

AD definitely makes it easier on the other guys in the D, but if we lose him, I'm sure Rex will make the necessary adjustments to keep the D in the Top 5 if not still #1!

The problem is we need to get our offense in the Top 10-12!
    ... They shall mount up with wings as Eagles;

Quote Originally Posted by bassgtrst View Post
    Your comparison is flat out wrong if Im reading it correctly.

Your saying that if Manning were to leave Indy, their O wouldnt be good.

Your saying that if we lose AD our D wont be good??

Im sorry but Scott, Lewis, Suggs, Pryce, Gregg, Ngata, CMac, and Reed still will be just as good.

Yeah. And Addai, Harrison, Clark, Wayne, Glenn, Diem, Saturday, etc will all still be good if Peyton Manning were to randomly retire, too.

Of course our D will be good. But it won't dominate like it did this year. It will struggle more to confuse opponents than it did this year, and you'll see a drastic decrease in QB pressure, sacks, and turnovers, IMO. But it'll still be a top 8 or so defense.

And, I'd argue this: Almost all of those guys will NOT be just as good with AD gone. Good, yes. But how many sacks did Suggs, Pryce, and Scott get becasue of AD's prescense? A lot. A staple of our D was lining up AD to confuse the blockers of opposing offenses thereby letting another rusher roam free. Yes, all fine players.

People really don't realize the impact that AD had on this D last year. Our defense in 2006 was better than in 2000, I wholeheartedly believe and stand by that assertion. And the MAIN REASON WHY was because of Thomas. He was the engine that made the defense run. He was the first guy opponents needed to locate. He was the reason Ray Lewis made so many tackles this year (teams had to run plays AT Ray to avoid going at AD and to only a slightly lesser extent, Bart Scott).

People live so much in the past that they ignore what they see in the present. Or maybe they just watch the ball and don't realize what an impact AD has on every single down.

Defense won't be the same, it's not the same every year.

Remember, we added Pryce and Ngata...that took huge pressure off the LBs. The system here is to eat up the line with our line and not allow blockers to get to the LBs so they can run around and make plays.

AT sure is great at running around and making plays, there is a certainty of that.

The defense will need to adjust. Could they be #1 again? Absolutely.

To be blunt, I'd be a heck of a lot more concerned if we were losing Kelly Gregg or Cmac this offseason....especially Cmac. CB for the Ravens is one of the most demanding defensive positions in the NFL. You can be on an island without even realizing it as Rolle was many times this year when he got burned when expecting safety help.

I'd be more than a little ancy at having Bannan/Edwards/Franklin in for Kelly Gregg or Ogelsby or Ivy in for Cmac all year than replacing AD.

We also have the draft, and we're surely needing depth at linebacker with really only Mike Smith, Dennis Haley, and special teams ace Gary Stills.

The one thing we can all be happy about is that Rex Ryan is still our defensive coordinator. Has the guy ever gave us a reason to doubt his preparation and planning?

We'll see something new in '07 and love our defense once again.