Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ravens Show Strong Interest In Draft Prospect

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=118&p=2&c=618734

Along with the Panthers. Sounds like a very good prospect and an indication that we have seen the last of Ovie Mughelli.

Jason Snelling
    FB, Virginia

Numbers: 5'11, 235 pounds

2006 Stats: 183-772-7 rushing, 29-282-0 in 11 games
    Career Stats: 276-1324-10 rushing, 84-775-4 passing in 48 games

The Buzz: Has a reputation as a hard-hitting lead blocker, but also as a runner who can drag would-be tacklers ... Excellent pass receiving skills out of the backfield ... Converted 60% of his third-down opportunities and likes having the ball in his hands in key situations ... Rarely gets stopped behind the line of scrimmage as he's a north-south runner with a good forward lean ... Special teams coverage skills will be an asset at the pro level. Led the team in special teams tackles as a freshman ... ""If this offense was a boxer, he'd be the body punch." -- Virginia head coach Al Groh.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Re: Ravens Show Strong Interest In Draft Prospect

He sounds like he could be our hardnosed run game for the future.

I like Ovie, I really do. I think that the FO will let him test the market and if the Ravens feel that he is too expensive, they will look to the Draft.

Here are his career stats:

Career Statistics
    Year GP Att Yds Avg TD Rec Yds TD
    2002 12 9 38 4.2 0 31 314 4
    2003 DNP - - - - - - -
    2004 7 26 189 7.3 1 5 39 0
    2005 12 58 325 5.6 3 19 140 0
    2006 11 183 772 4.2 7 29 282 0
    Totals 42 276 1,324 4.8 11 84 775 4
    "This year, our attitude when we’re on the field is we’re attacking, we want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it."
    -Mark Clayton

ugh, Why let Ovie go?

The guy has proven himself to be one of the better FB's in the league. It's not like he's irreplaceable, but why add another need to a long list?

Snelling looks to be a good prospect, but resiging Ovie should be a priority (unless, of course, he's going to cost a lot of $$).

has he? or has he proven that in a contract year he can actaully make himself appear like he's woth a damn.

s he? or has he proven that in a contract year he can actaully make himself appear like he's woth a damn.
    Considering that his fist year as a starter (Remember Alan Ricard??) was also his contract year, I would say that he has proven that he can play. Not that he can play when he feels like it.

Look out for Cleveland to try and grab Ovie from us like they grabbed Baxter, Zastudil, and our other 2nd day QB projects. Not to mention attempted kidnappings of Bart Scott and Chet Taylor.
    "This year, our attitude when we’re on the field is we’re attacking, we want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it."
    -Mark Clayton

Or guys, maybe we re-sign Ovie Mughelli, draft Snelling (who sounds like a very good prospect) and then cut Justin Green. I don't know much about Green's injury, but maybe this indicates that it is serious.

I would like to have Ovie return, but some team could decide to overpay for him and he is not worth overpaying.

It is possible that we lose AD, Pashos, and Ovie as all three could receive huge offers. All three are replaceable through the draft.

If you're going to draft a fullback, why not Brian Leonard from Rutgers? The guy is extremely impressive.

"Brian Leonard is a rare playmaker at fullback. He is a fantastic runner, and has a lot more natural running ability than most fullbacks. For a fullback, he shows very good speed and athleticism and is not just a short yardage runner. He is a load in those situations though, showing the ability to drag defenders and fight for extra yardage. He’s also an excellent receiver out of the backfield. He is a legitimate weapon with the ball in his hands, as a runner and receiver. Leonard is also a touchdown machine. He just has a nose for the end zone. He has 40 touchdowns in just three seasons at Rutgers."

He could probably be taken in the second or 3rd round too. There is not that much demand for fullbacks these days.

The sensible thing to do probably would be to stand pat with Mughelli and/or Green and take Booker in the 3rd to alleviate the running back woes.
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM

Quote Originally Posted by Art-Florida View Post
    If you're going to draft a fullback, why not Brian Leonard from Rutgers? The guy is extremely impressive.

"Brian Leonard is a rare playmaker at fullback. He is a fantastic runner, and has a lot more natural running ability than most fullbacks. For a fullback, he shows very good speed and athleticism and is not just a short yardage runner. He is a load in those situations though, showing the ability to drag defenders and fight for extra yardage. He’s also an excellent receiver out of the backfield. He is a legitimate weapon with the ball in his hands, as a runner and receiver. Leonard is also a touchdown machine. He just has a nose for the end zone. He has 40 touchdowns in just three seasons at Rutgers."

He could probably be taken in the second or 3rd round too. There is not that much demand for fullbacks these days.

The sensible thing to do probably would be to stand pat with Mughelli and/or Green and take Booker in the 3rd to alleviate the running back woes.
    I am concerned that Ovie's year was an anomaly for the big contract. I think the smarter move may be to start fresh with a rookie FB that could probably match and exceed Ovie's production and not cost as much.

You are correct that Brian Leonard does sound like a good prospect. I'd take either Leonard or Snelling and still draft Booker. You could then pair Booker with Daniels.

When Ovie was made primary FB this year he emerged as a real weapon, blocking, running, and receiving.

Still he's a UFA and the FO needs to be smart. Ozzie's too good to get caught napping, and if they can't resign Ovie - my guess is, their first choice - they'll be ready.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Brian Leonard does not want to play FB in the NFL. He's a tailback who moved to FB in college to help the team. I think he is a great athlete, but I don't think he could thud with NFL backers like he did with the likes of Syracuse and UCONN. He's a tailback
    "IT'S NOT ATTITUDE, I'M JUST THAT GOOD!"

looks like a very solid option if we have ovie problems, or even if we don't he's a great #2 fullback that can do it all and special teams player.

It would save a little bit of cap room. But, OM seems to be coming into his own in the Billick system...would the team really be better w/ a rookie at that spot?

FM