overall 2006 predictions

AFC East:
    1) Patriots still big dawgs.
    2) Dolphins Culpepper's talent + Saban's discipline. could be the next big-time team.
    3) Jets a qb and a mess.
    4) Bills no offense, but...no offense.

AFC North:
    1) Bengals peaking. a big time team
    2) Ravens with better weapons, could win 10 wi Boller, 12 wi McNair
    3) Squealers hard to repeat, and due for some bad breaks.
    4) Browns still a work in progress

AFC South
    1) Colts best team in football, but not the same w/o Edgerrin.
    2) Jax a little qbing away from greatness
    3) Tenn Jeff Fisher too good to lost 12 again.
    4) Texans oh, what a mess.

AFC West
    1) Broncos Shanahan & Plummer can win tons of reg season games; hope is Cutler to develop into a playoff qb.
    2) San Diego solid team, Marty coaching, and P Rivers looks ready.
    3) Chefs I think they missed their chance. still tough at home
    4) Raiders re-hiring Art Shell is a good move, but here's thinking Al Davis has finally lost his edge.

NFC East
    1) Cowboys Parcells m.o.; three-four good years, then burnout
    2) Giants not that great, but good. Viva Tiki!!
    3) Iggles too good for another losing season
    4) Skins last year a mirage, but never underestimate Joe Gibbs...

NFC North
    1) Vikings could be special with the coaching upgrade.
    2) Da Bears big time D, no O
    3) Packers Brett and the 52 dwarves?
    4) Lyons is Millen still running this thing?

NFC South
    1) Panthers best team in the NFC. Big Dawgs, I mean Cats.
    2) Falcons alternate up and down years; due for a playoff run
    3) Bucs could go 6-10, 10-6, anywhere. tough team to figure.
    4) Saints with now coach/QB (Brees) could surprise some people

NFC West
    1) Seahawks but no more super bowls for you guys
    2) Rams could score 500 points and go 8-8?
    3) Cardinals this franchise always takes one step up and two down.
    4) 49ers by end of year should show progress

Talking Re: overall 2006 predictions

AFC East:

1) Patriots
    2) Dolphins
    3) Bills
    4) Jets

AFC North:

1) Squealers
    2) Bengals
    3) Ravens
    4) Browns

AFC South

1) Colts
    2) Jax
    3) Texans
    4) Tenn

AFC West

1) Chiefs
    2) Broncos
    3) San Diego
    4) Raiders

NFC East

1) Giants
    2) Cowboys
    3) Skins
    4) Iggles

NFC North

1) Bears
    2) Vikings
    3) Lions
    4) Packers

NFC South

1) Panthers
    2) Bucs
    3) Saints
    4) Falcons

NFC West

1) Seahawks
    2) Rams
    3) Cardinals
    4) 49ers

Re: overall 2006 predictions

AFC East:

1) Patriots
    2) Dolphins
    3) Bills
    4) Jets

AFC North:

1) Bengals
    2) Ravens
    3) Steelers
    4) Browns

AFC South

1) Colts
    2) Jags
    3) Texans
    4) Titans

AFC West

1) Broncos
    2) Chiefs
    3) Chargers
    4) Raiders

NFC East

1) Giants
    2) Eagles
    3) Cowboys
    4) Redskins

NFC North

1) Bears
    2) Vikings
    3) Lions
    4) Packers

NFC South

1) Panthers
    2) Bucs
    3) Falcons
    4) Saints

NFC West

1) Seahawks
    2) Cardinals
    3) Rams
    4) 49ers

Playoffs

Ravens at Broncos=Broncos
    Jags at Colts=Colts
    Bucs at Bears=Bears
    Eagles at Giants=Eagles

Broncos at Bengals=Broncos
    Colts at Pats=Colts
    Bears at Panthers=Panthers
    Eagles at Seahawks=Seahawks

Broncos at Colts=Colts
    Panthers at Seahawks=Panthers

Panthers at Colts=Panthers Superbowl Champs

THE SEASON SO FAR...
    AFC EAST: The Patriots were about to be written off before slamming the Bengals Sunday. Has Brady gotten comfy with his new receivers? These guys could be Back...Jets should contend for the WC. They look much better than I'd thought...ditto the Bills, whose offense is showing signs of life...the Dolphins look awful. Duante looks awful.
    AFC SOUTH: nothing new; Colts still big dawgs, Jags compete for WC, Texans look awful...I thought the Titans would be decent; so far, no good. I see Jeff Fisher coaching the Giants next year...
    AFC NORTH: Carson is Back. first three weeks the Bengals looked like the Next Big Team, then they stunk at home against the Pats. A glitch, or overrated?...Ravens o looks awful, but 4-0 is 4-0. I worry about a reality check Monday Night, but if they don't turn it over, Plummer might help us out a bit...Ben Rothleisburger is not looking good, and neither are the Squealers. I don't think he's 100%. they might be better with Batch at this point. The AFC is so competitive, a late stretch run might not be doable, even if Ben recovers...the Browns are showing signs of life; Frye can play and has some weapons. now about that defense...
    AFC WEST: Broncos remain the team to beat. I don't think Shanahan has done much in the playoffs since Elway left, but this team will easily win this division, then we'll see what happens...Speaking of playoff disappointments, the Chargers played classic Martyball Sunday. Last year they had four 4th-quarter losses. He may win 10 games and still get fired...the Chiefs are struggling, but Herm is improving the D. I don't see them being a factor this year...the Raiders are bad.
    NFC EAST: Forget the Eagle's collapse against the Giants; they are Back, and should go deep in the playoffs...The Cowboys will go as far as Bledsoe takes them, which could be quite a way. Looked like a completely different qb last few weeks...the Skins looked awful, but turned it around quick (I NEVER expected them to beat the Jags). Joe Gibbs is one of the great coaches in NFL history...The Giants are collapsing. I doubt Coughlin is back next year.
    NFC NORTH: Da Bears are developing an offense, led by a capable Rex Grossman. They absolutely stomped the Seahawks Sunday night (which game might determine home-field advantage in the playoffs; doubt if Holmgren wants to run his offense in Soldier Field in January.)...Vikings look darn good, but will have trouble taking a WC spot, competing with Cowboys, Skins, Falcons, Saints & Rams; as long as they can keep Brad on his feet they'll be good...The Packers are just a battered vehicle on the Favre Farewell tour...The Lions stink.
    NFC SOUTH: Forget Carolina's rough start, they are back and will win this division and then some...This looks like the Falcons year to make a playoff run; they just missed last year...Saints are a good story, but too much competition for a playoff spot...The Bucs are collapsing; nobody thought they'd drop this far this fast.
    NFC WEST: Seahawks win by default, but looking shaky after Da Bears game...Rams looking good; with an easy sched they could steal a WC...Cards continue to take one step forward and two back (fire the owner!!!)...49ers? rebuilding mode.

HALFWAY THERE...
    AFC NORTH: Ravens started a shaky 4-2, now look renewed with change at OC. Bengals slipping, Stealers collapsing (woo hoo!!!), Browns...still the Browns.
    AFC EAST: Pats win by default. concencus is not same dominant team, esp after losing to the Colts, but could repeat, esp with home field advantage. Jets? looking at 8-8. Bills' Dick Jauron is capable; can octegenarian Levy keep up in the front office? has any team been more disappointing than the Dolphins? Joey Harrington might save the season...
    AFC SOUTH: Colts 8-0, cruising, yawn. Is This Their Year??? could be; looks wide open. home field in the postseason will help; of course, they had that last year...Jags will win about 9 and maybe a wild card. lots of fans think they'd be better with Garrad than Leftwich...Titans and Texans compete for 4 wins and a high draft choice. Gary Kubiak looks like a legit head coach; Jeff Fisher might be headed to Dallas...
    AFC WEST: Broncos again strong from the start; they'll need to sustain wins, with the Chargers and Chiefs not far behind. Will the Chargers fade, like last year? Those Chiefs look good, even with Huard at qb...Raiders won't go winless!!!
    NFC NORTH: DaBears by defautl. best team in the league, but one Grossman injury away from mediocrity; and RG hasn't played a full year yet...Vikings offense driven by Ravens castoffs Marcus Robinson and Chester Taylor. ex-Terp EJ Henderson leads an improving D; might compete for a WC with good schedule...Packers and Lions? six wins each? whatever...
    NFC EAST: I just reread my Oct 05 post; boy did I get this bunch wrong. Tom Coughlin is a Marty Schottenheimer - Chuck Knox type; good D, running game, limit the mistakes, let the other team beat itself. No Super Bowls for these three coaches, but Giants should win this division...Eagles still my pick to make a run; can't understand their inconsistency...Cowboys shoulda beat the Skins; Tony Romo recharging the Team...Skins stumbling. Will Joe G be back next year?
    NFC SOUTH: Falcons can beat anyone one week and lost to anyone the next...Saints having a good year, but don't see them deep in the playoffs...Carolina struggling. why? If I knew that I'd be working in the NFL, not writing about it...Bucs still picking up the pieces after a disastrous start...
    NFC WEST: Hasselback's injury drops the Seahawks to average; the Rams can steal this Division...49ers still rebuilding...Cardinals look great (new stadium, new unis), but playing awful. start the Coach Watch, tick tick tick...

Blog Entries

How much difference two months can make. Now, we look like the real deal in the AFC North! We've got an easier "back" of the schedule, while our closest competitors, the Bengals, have one of the toughest schedules.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by sailorsam View Post
    Colts 8-0, cruising, yawn. Is This Their Year??? could be; looks wide open. home field in the postseason will help; of course, they had that last year......
    And last year at this time, and even later when the colts were 13-0 everyone was saying that it was finally their year.

The INDY Colts will never win the Super Bowl as long as the Irsays own the team.
    Section 106 from start to finish!

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Their defense isn't as good this year as it was last year. If they can't stop the run somebody will exploit that.

They are yielding 5.3 yards per carry. Essentially that means the average RB is putting up Jim Brown numbers on them week in and week out. The Titans and Rams are at 5.0, those are horrible. Should we get them in the playoffs I would run the first 15 plays, right up the gut alternating with right at Freeney.

They won't get far in the playoffs if they don't fix that. Two things that negate home field advantage, a good running game and a good defense.

I think the Ravens will reach the conference game, and i dont know where they will go from there

Playoff picture update:
    AFC: five of the six spots appear set. the Ravens (yay!), Patriots and Colts will win their divisions (barring major disaster); the Broncos and Chargers will split the west and one wild card. Denver's losing 2 division games in five days (to the Chargers and Cheifs) is big, and will help the Ravens, as they hold a tiebreaker. (I have to think that if they rematched in the playoffs, the Ravens would win). the last spot would go to either KC or Jax. Jets and Bengals still math alive, but unlikely
    NFC is a mess. da Bears will win the North; everything else is iffy. look for the surging Cowboys to pass the struggling Giants for the East; Carolina will probably bounce back and take the South, and Seattle still has the edge in the West, but barely (think they miss Hasselback?). that leaves the Giants leading for one wild card; the Saints, Falcons and even the 49ers are competing for the other. if Atlanta fades again, will they make changes? JMora 2.0 doesn't seem to be able to win consistently, esp late in the year.
    the good news for the Ravens; right now they have the 2 seed in the AFC, one game up on the Patriots, who have some tough games coming up.
    I really like the Ravens postseason chances against the Colts, based on how close they've played last few meetings, and Indi's postseason history. New England is the one team that most worries me; this is where the home field advantage will be huge.
    the NFC is one Rex Grossman injury away from being WIDE open.

hey, I was right on some of these.
    2006: BIGGEST SUPRISES
    1) Saints. +7 wins. in the NFC, they are a power. good job. Payton for Coach of the Year
    2) Chargers we knew they'd be decent, but 14-2? Marty's best shot at the big one.
    3) J-e-t-s beat the Pats in their house and scrounged enough Ws for the playoffs. they will only get better. good job.
    4) Titans one blocked fg (against the Ravens, hee hee) from the playoffs. Jeff Fisher might just stay awhile.
    5) Ravens not the pub of the others, but improved 7 games from last year. great job.
    BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENTS:
    1) Miami Saban has bolted to 'Bama; does he know something we don't? NFL not kind to college coaches (Spurrier, Mike Riley, whatshisname with the Brownies...).
    2) Carolina I kept waiting for them to start rolling; never happened. ?
    3) 'Skins near-collapse. start over with JCampbell. what happened to Brunell? and the Al Saunders thing didn't work too well.
    4-5) Pigsburgh & Sincinatti. Cowher has been a great coach, but it was stupid to keep playing Roethlisberger, esp early in the year. Bengals? tough breaks. they'll be back.

MISC: compare how the 49ers fought--on the road, against a team fighting for the playoffs (the Broncos)--to the Vikings giving up 41 points at home. Nolan is the real deal as Head Coach...speaking of the Broncs, Shanahan figured he'd never win the Super Bowl with Plummer, so he just pulled the plug mid-season, not caring if it cost them a playoff shot. Know what? I think he's right...latest rumor: Cowher to...Miami. could happen...I still think Tom Coughlin's going to get fired...how weak is the NFC? the Bengals and Broncos would be division-winners there; in the AFC they miss the playoffs. not even Da Bears worry anyone...comeback of the year: Jeff Garcia with the Iggles. they could make a run. no, really...everyone seems to be writing off the Colts. think they'll make a run at some help at D this off-season?...NFL Head Coach is considered a dream job, but things are so bad in Oakland at Arizona that some candidates are saying no. will the NFL ever start stripping idiot owners of their teams? since 1950 the Bidwell Cardinals have one playoff win and are in their third city. I despise the Irsays, but give Jimmy the Weasel credit, he finally started letting Real Football Guys run his team, and it's worked...Raven's biggest problem; which defensive superstar(s) will they keep, and whom will they lo$e?

I think you could flip a coin when deciding which team was the biggest disappointment, the Bengals or the Steelers. Remember in August/September when a lot of us said the AFCN would be the toughest division in the league? We ended up the only team with a winning record.