Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Mark Clayton was told he was going to be more involved in the offense before Steelers game

Quote Originally Posted by RavensDomination View Post
    Exactly, the constant is that he hasn't had a constant system or QB to thrive in. I'm not saying he is Jerry Rice but it seems like when they make it a point to throw to him he puts up numbers.
    So........he's spent the last 2 years in a competent system with a competent QB correct?

Then what's the latest excuse for Clayton?

Re: Mark Clayton was told he was going to be more involved in the offense before Steelers game

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Which doesn't explain his lack of consistency under Kyle Boller, Steve McNair, and Troy Smith.
    I have to argue this point, he looked like a very good #2 option the first year Steve McNair (rest in peace) was playing. Didnt he get close to having a 1000 yard year? Then mason complained he wasn't getting enough looks, and Clayton vanished. Anyone else see what I saw??

So........he's spent the last 2 years in a competent system with a competent QB correct?

Flacco is definitely a competent QB, but he is still guilty of young QB habits, one being he isnt spreading the ball around. Mason and Rice are his main options, and it seems, until he was told to pass it to clayton more, he wasnt.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenousD View Post
    I have to argue this point, he looked like a very good #2 option the first year Steve McNair (rest in peace) was playing. Didnt he get close to having a 1000 yard year? Then mason complained he wasn't getting enough looks, and Clayton vanished. Anyone else see what I saw??
    No.

I saw a guy who looked like he was going to break out, and then never did. Years like those are called "anomalies" and they happen all the time.

Or would you like to argue that Lee Evans is just not getting the looks for the last three years and really should be a 1,300 yard receiver?

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    No.

I saw a guy who looked like he was going to break out, and then never did. Years like those are called "anomalies" and they happen all the time.

Or would you like to argue that Lee Evans is just not getting the looks for the last three years and really should be a 1,300 yard receiver?

- C -
    I think Lee Evans is a different WR in a different situation. I don't think it was an anomaly, and think, just like McNair's 1st yr here, and just like the end of last season, if Mark gets more looks, he will put up better numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    Sure, that's a definite possibility. Hey, I've got an idea! Maybe Flacco isn't looking his way, because Clayton's dropping fourth down passes that hit him in the numbers on game-winning drives, and dropping slants over the middle on passes that hit him in the hands and lead him behind the entire defense...

- C -
    Every receiver drops passes, and no doubt Clayton has had some big ones this year.

But I've got another idea! An offense in the NFL can't function with only one WR being involved. If Clayton is that bad they need to make Washington or D. Williams the #2 and get them involved.

Last year we were the #1 rushing team in the league if I am not mistaken, playing with a rookie QB. And if I recall Clayton had a few good games and averaged 17 yards per reception.

This year, as previously pointed out, Flacco is keying in on Mason and Rice. When he was told to involved Clayton more Clayton produced (and admittedly had a key fumble).

Quote Originally Posted by RavenousD View Post
    I think Lee Evans is a different WR in a different situation. I don't think it was an anomaly, and think, just like McNair's 1st yr here, and just like the end of last season, if Mark gets more looks, he will put up better numbers.
    Sure. I can see why you'd say that, given Clayton's history of showing how productive he can be.

Statistical anomalies happen all the time. Elvis GrBage had a 4,100 yard, 28 TD season. Chester Taylor had a 1,200 yard rushing season. Muhsin Muhammad had 1,400 yards and 16 TDs receiving one season. They're extremely common, and in no way indicative of the actual talent level of the player.

Mark Clayton had one season with 937 yards and 5 TDs, which isn't particularly anything special anyway. Other than that season, he's averaged less than 40 yards per game and hasn't caught more than 3 TDs any season, despite having the occasional very big game. That is pretty much the very definition of "statistical anomaly."

But I've got another idea! An offense in the NFL can't function with only one WR being involved. If Clayton is that bad they need to make Washington or D. Williams the #2 and get them involved.
    I never said an NFL offense could - even though they certainly can (see Bengals, Colts, Saints and Cowboys as particularly relevant examples today). But Clayton has consistently shown that he's not capable of doing this on any sort of consistent basis.

Last year we were the #1 rushing team in the league if I am not mistaken, playing with a rookie QB. And if I recall Clayton had a few good games and averaged 17 yards per reception.

This year, as previously pointed out, Flacco is keying in on Mason and Rice. When he was told to involved Clayton more Clayton produced (and admittedly had a key fumble).
    one game <> sufficient sample size

There isn't one piece of evidence to suggest Clayton is breaking out. Same as there wasn't last year after each of the four or five big games he had, despite all the heat a few of us took this off-season when we dared to challenge that notion.

Clayton with one big game in no way suggests he's breaking out. It doesn't even suggest he's a capable receiver. I don't understand why this is such a hard concept to grasp. Clayton this year is doing exactly what he's done the previous two years...show wild inconsistency with a couple huge games and the rest total suck-fests. Why do we have to keep having this conversation???

- C -

www.oblongspheroid.com

Don't you think if Clayton was a better receiver that Flacco wouldn't key in on Mason so much?

Don't you think if Clayton was a better receiver that Flacco wouldn't key in on Mason so much?
    Too... Much... Logic..... Brain... Hurts.....

www.oblongspheroid.com

I'm not sure. I used to think that, but don't you think it's a little suspicious that first Jaws said Flacco was keying in too much on Mason, then the coaches told Clayton he was going to be more involved, and then he puts up nearly 150 yards receiving.

Flacco is still growing and maturing. I think a lot of us, myself included, forget that.

I'm not sure. I used to think that, but don't you think it's a little suspicious that first Jaws said Flacco was keying in too much on Mason, then the coaches told Clayton he was going to be more involved, and then he puts up nearly 150 yards receiving.

Flacco is still growing and maturing. I think a lot of us, myself included, forget that.
    Does Jaws follow the Ravens week in and week out? Or did Jaws call down to Cam before the game and tell him?

And again, why is Flacco keying in on Mason and not Clayton?

All of a sudden, almost 5 years after he's been drafted, Flacco sees him on the field?