Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Re: Anyone else sick of Mark Zinno?

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Hmm. Since when did shooting guns and talking football make anyone a Renaissance man? I respect anyone who serves, and I have no problem with sports talk radio, but I think the headline writer needs to brush up on the definition of Renaissance man.

If you imagined a scale where Neanderthal was at one end...and Renaissance at the other end, where would soldiering and sports talking fall? I'm pretty sure those two qualities would not sit next to wine tasting, sweater knitting, and poetry reading when it comes to Renaissance-man qualifications.
    I believe the author was pointing out he wears many career hats, which is the accurate, albeit loose, definition of a "renaissance man". The term does not necessarily mean the time period.

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    When the hell did "south Baltimore" start claiming a POS New Yorker as their own?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I believe the author was pointing out he wears many career hats, which is the accurate, albeit loose, definition of a "renaissance man". The term does not necessarily mean the time period.
    I didn't think he was trying to say Zinno has 14th century qualities. I know it is supposed to imply mastery of multiple pursuits, but my point was that part time soldier and full time sportscaster didn't strike me as particularly diverse. By definition, doesn't just about everyone who serves in the guard have another, primary job? From that point of view, everyone who is in the Guard is a Renaissance Man.

I didn't think he was trying to say Zinno has 14th century qualities. I know it is supposed to imply mastery of multiple pursuits, but my point was that part time soldier and full time sportscaster didn't strike me as particularly diverse. By definition, doesn't just about everyone who serves in the guard have another, primary job? From that point of view, everyone who is in the Guard is a Renaissance Man.
    He holds the rank of Major, which requires a Masters degree, of which he does indeed hold from Loyola. Not a small task in of itself.

Having served in the Guard, it's not as easy as you portray as simply as a "part time soldier". It requires a substantial amount of time outside the required drill weeks / weekends. To reach his level of rank, it requires numerous schools both in state and in other areas of the country that are in addition to the standard drill periods. His MOS, Public Affairs, is incredibly active and competitive in terms of reaching higher ranks. Not to mention you can get called into service for BOTH state and federal issues.

So yes, I don't think there isn't any question he can be dubbed that title for both careers.

He holds the rank of Major, which requires a Masters degree, of which he does indeed hold from Loyola. Not a small task in of itself.

Having served in the Guard, it's not as easy as you portray as simply as a "part time soldier". It requires a substantial amount of time outside the required drill weeks / weekends. To reach his level of rank, it requires numerous schools both in state and in other areas of the country that are in addition to the standard drill periods. His MOS, Military Police, is incredibly active and competitive in terms of reaching higher ranks. Not to mention you can get called into service for BOTH state and federal issues.

So yes, I don't think there isn't any question he can be dubbed that title for both careers.

My apologies if you took offense to the way I characterized serving in the guard. I in no way wanted to come off as portraying it as an inconsequential commitment. I merely meant to say that I think of Renaissance Men as more than being accomplished in two areas, even if the two things are both impressive. I think of it as five or six really diverse things. So perhaps it is semantics. Again, apologies if I came across as belittling Guard service.

My apologies if you took offense to the way I characterized serving in the guard. I in no way wanted to come off as portraying it as an inconsequential commitment. I merely meant to say that I think of Renaissance Men as more than being accomplished in two areas, even if the two things are both impressive. I think of it as five or six really diverse things. So perhaps it is semantics. Again, apologies if I came across as belittling Guard service.
    No apology needed at all. Took no offense to it at all.

I pointed that out just to try an illustrate is isn't just another guardsman and that's he has risen rather fast and successfully.

No worries, Shas.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    As a guy who has the advantage of never having met any of these people personally, I've always thought NST was about right in their treatment of the Orioles.

People say stuff all the time about Nestor personally and I suppose some or all of it may be true, but I think it's reasonable and *right* for a Baltimore-area sports station to call the Orioles what they are. Giving them credit when credit is due (well, at least Drew does, and it isn't very often), but caring enough not to let go of the whip.

Are we supposed to stop caring?

Anyway. Pretty far OT.
    I will give kudos to NST for being first to cry foul regarding the Orioles. That being said both WBAL and 105.7 have carried the games at some point during the time period NST was beating the O's over the head so to some degree, like it or not, those stations had an interest in not running to afoul of old Peter McScrooge Angelos.

Nestor has a good eye for talent but has a horrible record of keeping it. Had he kept the talent that had come through there, nobody would listen to anything but NST. I get the impression Nestor likes the new talent because frankly those kinda guys are indebted to him for the opportunity. I think the minute they question him or how he thinks things should proceed on their shows ....he gives them the boot. Its his right, he owns the station but the other sports talk stations in town thank him I am betting. Anyone wanna take bets on the over under of when Glenn Clark gets Nestorized ????
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    I will give kudos to NST for being first to cry foul regarding the Orioles. That being said both WBAL and 105.7 have carried the games at some point during the time period NST was beating the O's over the head so to some degree, like it or not, those stations had an interest in not running to afoul of old Peter McScrooge Angelos.

Nestor has a good eye for talent but has a horrible record of keeping it. Had he kept the talent that had come through there, nobody would listen to anything but NST. I get the impression Nestor likes the new talent because frankly those kinda guys are indebted to him for the opportunity. I think the minute they question him or how he thinks things should proceed on their shows ....he gives them the boot. Its his right, he owns the station but the other sports talk stations in town thank him I am betting. Anyone wanna take bets on the over under of when Glenn Clark gets Nestorized ????
    The main reason Nestor can't "keep talent" is because he has a mega corporation in CBS radio as his direct competitor who can pay the on air talent double what he can without blinking. Not to mention all the perks that come along with working for a conglomerate like that in benefits and other stuff.

Of course that isn't the only reason, but is a huge part of it.

You can trace all the departures back to one thing in most of the cases....money being the start of the problems and then the subsequent departure of the hosts.

Nestor just can't afford to pay them what they are worth once they get some experience under their belt.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    The main reason Nestor can't "keep talent" is because he has a mega corporation in CBS radio as his direct competitor who can pay the on air talent double what he can without blinking. Not to mention all the perks that come along with working for a conglomerate like that in benefits and other stuff.

Of course that isn't the only reason, but is a huge part of it.

You can trace all the departures back to one thing in most of the cases....money being the start of the problems and then the subsequent departure of the hosts.

Nestor just can't afford to pay them what they are worth once they get some experience under their belt.
    Terry Ford was fired.

Jeremy Conn was fired.

Rob Long was fired.

Ray Bachman was fired.

Haynie was asked to take a 60% pay cut.

Nestor is the reason his station continues to flounder.

Terry Ford was fired.

Jeremy Conn was fired.

Rob Long was fired.

Ray Bachman was fired.

Haynie was asked to take a 60% pay cut.

Nestor is the reason his station continues to flounder.
    And, conversely, the reason it's still on the air, I suspect.

Drew aside, though, the station currently has a serious lack of on-air talent.

Also you left off Mark Sutchie and Casey Willett (though I think Sutchie said he quit), two guys I really liked who parted ways with NST. Not so sad to see Conn leave, he added nothing when he was there. I liked Ford, still do, and I'm glad he found another spot (finally). He's so much better than Glen Unis (sp?), for whom he's filling in this week. I wonder if dumping Conn but leaving Ford would have led to a better morning show? I bet it would have.

I didn't miss Popovic. I liked Spiro, who strangely enough is back on NST doing the Towson shtick. I'm sure there are plenty more who I'm forgetting.

I know some of you don't like Drew and I agree he can be abrasive, but he *really* knows his local stuff, and as I've said elsewhere lately I think he's 100% right about the Orioles, so that doesn't bother me.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    And, conversely, the reason it's still on the air, I suspect.

Drew aside, though, the station currently has a serious lack of on-air talent.

Also you left off Mark Sutchie and Casey Willett (though I think Sutchie said he quit), two guys I really liked who parted ways with NST. Not so sad to see Conn leave, he added nothing when he was there. I liked Ford, still do, and I'm glad he found another spot (finally). He's so much better than Glen Unis (sp?), for whom he's filling in this week. I wonder if dumping Conn but leaving Ford would have led to a better morning show? I bet it would have.

I didn't miss Popovic. I liked Spiro, who strangely enough is back on NST doing the Towson shtick. I'm sure there are plenty more who I'm forgetting.

I know some of you don't like Drew and I agree he can be abrasive, but he *really* knows his local stuff, and as I've said elsewhere lately I think he's 100% right about the Orioles, so that doesn't bother me.
    Thanks for liking my show. I sincerely miss being on-air. I love Baltimore and its rich sports history. I keep sending sound and resumes out. If anything ever happens, I'll post it here. It's nice to know someone enjoyed my show. Thanks again.

Just heard ZinNO, in town for a week. He really kills Haney's show. They should pair Ford or Weinman with Haney. Zinno and Younes are in the wrong biz.