Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 96
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,504

    Re: Anyone else sick of Mark Zinno?



    Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I didn't think he was trying to say Zinno has 14th century qualities. I know it is supposed to imply mastery of multiple pursuits, but my point was that part time soldier and full time sportscaster didn't strike me as particularly diverse. By definition, doesn't just about everyone who serves in the guard have another, primary job? From that point of view, everyone who is in the Guard is a Renaissance Man.
    He holds the rank of Major, which requires a Masters degree, of which he does indeed hold from Loyola. Not a small task in of itself.

    Having served in the Guard, it's not as easy as you portray as simply as a "part time soldier". It requires a substantial amount of time outside the required drill weeks / weekends. To reach his level of rank, it requires numerous schools both in state and in other areas of the country that are in addition to the standard drill periods. His MOS, Public Affairs, is incredibly active and competitive in terms of reaching higher ranks. Not to mention you can get called into service for BOTH state and federal issues.

    So yes, I don't think there isn't any question he can be dubbed that title for both careers.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  2. #77
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,405
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Anyone else sick of Mark Zinno?

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    He holds the rank of Major, which requires a Masters degree, of which he does indeed hold from Loyola. Not a small task in of itself.

    Having served in the Guard, it's not as easy as you portray as simply as a "part time soldier". It requires a substantial amount of time outside the required drill weeks / weekends. To reach his level of rank, it requires numerous schools both in state and in other areas of the country that are in addition to the standard drill periods. His MOS, Military Police, is incredibly active and competitive in terms of reaching higher ranks. Not to mention you can get called into service for BOTH state and federal issues.

    So yes, I don't think there isn't any question he can be dubbed that title for both careers.

    My apologies if you took offense to the way I characterized serving in the guard. I in no way wanted to come off as portraying it as an inconsequential commitment. I merely meant to say that I think of Renaissance Men as more than being accomplished in two areas, even if the two things are both impressive. I think of it as five or six really diverse things. So perhaps it is semantics. Again, apologies if I came across as belittling Guard service.




  3. #78
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,504
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    My apologies if you took offense to the way I characterized serving in the guard. I in no way wanted to come off as portraying it as an inconsequential commitment. I merely meant to say that I think of Renaissance Men as more than being accomplished in two areas, even if the two things are both impressive. I think of it as five or six really diverse things. So perhaps it is semantics. Again, apologies if I came across as belittling Guard service.
    No apology needed at all. Took no offense to it at all.

    I pointed that out just to try an illustrate is isn't just another guardsman and that's he has risen rather fast and successfully.

    No worries, Shas.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  4. #79
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,547
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Anyone else sick of Mark Zinno?

    Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    As a guy who has the advantage of never having met any of these people personally, I've always thought NST was about right in their treatment of the Orioles.

    People say stuff all the time about Nestor personally and I suppose some or all of it may be true, but I think it's reasonable and *right* for a Baltimore-area sports station to call the Orioles what they are. Giving them credit when credit is due (well, at least Drew does, and it isn't very often), but caring enough not to let go of the whip.

    Are we supposed to stop caring?

    Anyway. Pretty far OT.
    I will give kudos to NST for being first to cry foul regarding the Orioles. That being said both WBAL and 105.7 have carried the games at some point during the time period NST was beating the O's over the head so to some degree, like it or not, those stations had an interest in not running to afoul of old Peter McScrooge Angelos.

    Nestor has a good eye for talent but has a horrible record of keeping it. Had he kept the talent that had come through there, nobody would listen to anything but NST. I get the impression Nestor likes the new talent because frankly those kinda guys are indebted to him for the opportunity. I think the minute they question him or how he thinks things should proceed on their shows ....he gives them the boot. Its his right, he owns the station but the other sports talk stations in town thank him I am betting. Anyone wanna take bets on the over under of when Glenn Clark gets Nestorized ????
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis




  5. #80

    Re: Anyone else sick of Mark Zinno?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    I will give kudos to NST for being first to cry foul regarding the Orioles. That being said both WBAL and 105.7 have carried the games at some point during the time period NST was beating the O's over the head so to some degree, like it or not, those stations had an interest in not running to afoul of old Peter McScrooge Angelos.

    Nestor has a good eye for talent but has a horrible record of keeping it. Had he kept the talent that had come through there, nobody would listen to anything but NST. I get the impression Nestor likes the new talent because frankly those kinda guys are indebted to him for the opportunity. I think the minute they question him or how he thinks things should proceed on their shows ....he gives them the boot. Its his right, he owns the station but the other sports talk stations in town thank him I am betting. Anyone wanna take bets on the over under of when Glenn Clark gets Nestorized ????
    The main reason Nestor can't "keep talent" is because he has a mega corporation in CBS radio as his direct competitor who can pay the on air talent double what he can without blinking. Not to mention all the perks that come along with working for a conglomerate like that in benefits and other stuff.

    Of course that isn't the only reason, but is a huge part of it.

    You can trace all the departures back to one thing in most of the cases....money being the start of the problems and then the subsequent departure of the hosts.

    Nestor just can't afford to pay them what they are worth once they get some experience under their belt.




  6. #81
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,504

    Re: Anyone else sick of Mark Zinno?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    The main reason Nestor can't "keep talent" is because he has a mega corporation in CBS radio as his direct competitor who can pay the on air talent double what he can without blinking. Not to mention all the perks that come along with working for a conglomerate like that in benefits and other stuff.

    Of course that isn't the only reason, but is a huge part of it.

    You can trace all the departures back to one thing in most of the cases....money being the start of the problems and then the subsequent departure of the hosts.

    Nestor just can't afford to pay them what they are worth once they get some experience under their belt.
    Terry Ford was fired.

    Jeremy Conn was fired.

    Rob Long was fired.

    Ray Bachman was fired.

    Haynie was asked to take a 60% pay cut.

    Nestor is the reason his station continues to flounder.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  7. #82

    Re: Anyone else sick of Mark Zinno?

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Terry Ford was fired.

    Jeremy Conn was fired.

    Rob Long was fired.

    Ray Bachman was fired.

    Haynie was asked to take a 60% pay cut.

    Nestor is the reason his station continues to flounder.
    And, conversely, the reason it's still on the air, I suspect.

    Drew aside, though, the station currently has a serious lack of on-air talent.

    Also you left off Mark Sutchie and Casey Willett (though I think Sutchie said he quit), two guys I really liked who parted ways with NST. Not so sad to see Conn leave, he added nothing when he was there. I liked Ford, still do, and I'm glad he found another spot (finally). He's so much better than Glen Unis (sp?), for whom he's filling in this week. I wonder if dumping Conn but leaving Ford would have led to a better morning show? I bet it would have.

    I didn't miss Popovic. I liked Spiro, who strangely enough is back on NST doing the Towson shtick. I'm sure there are plenty more who I'm forgetting.

    I know some of you don't like Drew and I agree he can be abrasive, but he *really* knows his local stuff, and as I've said elsewhere lately I think he's 100% right about the Orioles, so that doesn't bother me.
    Festivus

    His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.




  8. #83

    Re: Anyone else sick of Mark Zinno?

    Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    And, conversely, the reason it's still on the air, I suspect.

    Drew aside, though, the station currently has a serious lack of on-air talent.

    Also you left off Mark Sutchie and Casey Willett (though I think Sutchie said he quit), two guys I really liked who parted ways with NST. Not so sad to see Conn leave, he added nothing when he was there. I liked Ford, still do, and I'm glad he found another spot (finally). He's so much better than Glen Unis (sp?), for whom he's filling in this week. I wonder if dumping Conn but leaving Ford would have led to a better morning show? I bet it would have.

    I didn't miss Popovic. I liked Spiro, who strangely enough is back on NST doing the Towson shtick. I'm sure there are plenty more who I'm forgetting.

    I know some of you don't like Drew and I agree he can be abrasive, but he *really* knows his local stuff, and as I've said elsewhere lately I think he's 100% right about the Orioles, so that doesn't bother me.
    Thanks for liking my show. I sincerely miss being on-air. I love Baltimore and its rich sports history. I keep sending sound and resumes out. If anything ever happens, I'll post it here. It's nice to know someone enjoyed my show. Thanks again.




  9. #84

    Re: Anyone else sick of Mark Zinno?

    Just heard ZinNO, in town for a week. He really kills Haney's show. They should pair Ford or Weinman with Haney. Zinno and Younes are in the wrong biz.




  10. #85
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,405
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Anyone else sick of Mark Zinno?

    Yeah, I'd prefer to see Zinno share Coleman's role of reading the sports updates. Weinmann is great when partnered up with whomever. Conn or Haney make the most sense.

    I've hear Younnis in the mornings with Ed Norris and it's such a better show, even though Younnis has a tendency to chew through the scenery.




  11. #86

    Re: Anyone else sick of Mark Zinno?

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Terry Ford was fired.

    Jeremy Conn was fired.

    Rob Long was fired.

    Ray Bachman was fired.

    Haynie was asked to take a 60% pay cut.

    Nestor is the reason his station continues to flounder.
    LOL.

    "Floundering" for how many years now?

    Tell me the behind the scenes reasons why all these people were "fired" as you claim, or just didn't have their contracts renewed when it was time.

    Haney was asked to take a huge pay cut and so was every other one. They said adios not happening because I can get way more right down the street from CBS.

    Most of the issues came right back to money, which then turned to a "respect" factor, which led to arguments and the hosts leaving or fired or whatever the hell you want to call it. Actually in Jeremy and Terry's case they got fired because they crossed the line too many times and though they were doing Howard Stern instead of sports radio.

    Anita marks got fired....

    Bulldog got fired....

    Ken Weinman got fired (essentially)

    Should I keep going? It happens in radio all the time.




  12. #87
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,405
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Anyone else sick of Mark Zinno?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    LOL.

    "Floundering" for how many years now?

    Tell me the behind the scenes reasons why all these people were "fired" as you claim, or just didn't have their contracts renewed when it was time.

    Haney was asked to take a huge pay cut and so was every other one. They said adios not happening because I can get way more right down the street from CBS.

    Most of the issues came right back to money, which then turned to a "respect" factor, which led to arguments and the hosts leaving or fired or whatever the hell you want to call it. Actually in Jeremy and Terry's case they got fired because they crossed the line too many times and though they were doing Howard Stern instead of sports radio.

    Anita marks got fired....

    Bulldog got fired....

    Ken Weinman got fired (essentially)

    Should I keep going? It happens in radio all the time.
    Well, WNST has been off the radar screen in terms of ratings for a few years now. But no one here would really know exactly how they are doing financially.

    There are things that bother me about the way they do business, but I'm glad they have stuck around.

    The distinction between what has happened with talent at WNST and elsewhere is more stark that you are painting it I think.

    The thing about WNST is that they cut ties with personalities who have showed that they were talented people by virtue of still having a strong following in this market. So many of the people there got jobs elsewhere after being fired or let go for money reasons. (None of them left for a better offer, by the way. They were cut, and later they found jobs elsewhere).

    The talent you mention who left CBS radio is different because none of them are on the air in this town any longer. None of them represented budding talent that CBS developed and then let walk to other competitors. No "good" talent was trimmed at CBS. But in WNST's case, you can easily make the argument that they let a ton of good talent go.

    Was it money? Not always. People who know the story there will cite a few ego issues. I've always found it ironic that the man in this town Nestor hates most, Peter Angelos, is the man he most closely resembles.




  13. #88
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,504

    Re: Anyone else sick of Mark Zinno?

    Google is your friend. Google all of those names and you'll find the stories as I did. Took about a minute or two.

    And yes, floundering. Take a gander at the Arbitron ratings in chronological order of the names I listed. You'll find a precipitous drop in ratings that goes all the way back to 2008. Yes, radio personalities get fired all the time. What sets Nestor apart is he fires them when they are popular and actually have ratings.

    And I find it funny you chide me citing "behind the scenes" reasons (which I never claimed to have) when you've speculated now (twice) it was due to money. Pot meet kettle.

    So what evidence do YOU have that it was about money?
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  14. #89

    Re: Anyone else sick of Mark Zinno?

    Does anyone know why Weinman got demoted to "fill-in role"?




  15. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    LOL.

    "Floundering" for how many years now?

    Tell me the behind the scenes reasons why all these people were "fired" as you claim, or just didn't have their contracts renewed when it was time.

    Haney was asked to take a huge pay cut and so was every other one. They said adios not happening because I can get way more right down the street from CBS.

    Most of the issues came right back to money, which then turned to a "respect" factor, which led to arguments and the hosts leaving or fired or whatever the hell you want to call it.
    OK, so it "came right back to money" and they all were "asked to take a huge paycut", but NST isn't floundering?

    So, if not, then why was all of the on-air talent - that had loyal followings - asked to take "huge paycuts"?
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

    Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland