Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Defense as bad as most think?

Is the Raven's defense as bad as most think? Ravens fans have gotten used to having a dominating defense the past decade. While this version of the Ravens defense is not dominating but isn't as bad as most have made it out to be. This defense overall is statistically very much above average.

Overall - 302.8 (7th)
    Total Pt's - 154 (5th)
    PPG - 17.1 (5th
    Rush - 93.9 (5th)
    YPC - 3.5 (3rd)
    Pass - 208.9 (13th)
    TYA - 7.0 (19th
    Sacks - 21 (12th)
    1st Downs - 93 (9th)
    1st Down PG - 17.3 (6th)
    20+ yard plays - 28 (21st)
    40+ yard plays - 6 (21st)
    Rushing TD - 5 (5th)
    Passing TD -10 (10th)
    3rd Down % - 34% (7th)

What these stats tell me is that we still have a very good defense down to down. The big plays are a problem but haven't been a problem since the Minnesota game. Without the big passing plays the passing numbers would look much better. There is still plenty of room for improvement but this defense is playing a lot better than most have given them credit for and they can beat Indy.

Re: Defense as bad as most think?

Interestingly, FO has us rated #4 defensively based on DVOA. We actually rank very favorably overall, which I didn't realize at all. We've played some very tough teams. Our overall win record should be 6.4 - 2.6 which is pretty good.

Overall these numbers are far more favorable than I thought they'd be. We've played #1 NE, #6 Minn and #11 Cinci twice, and still play #2 Indi and #7 Pitt twice. Yet our strength of schedule is pretty low because we also play #32 Det, #31 Oak, #30 Clev 2x, #27 KC and #25 Chi.

Note also that Cleveland's offensive DVOA is not worst in the league...Oakland's is.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

There's an offense in the NFL worse than Clevelands? Holy shit just when you thought you'd seen it all!

As for the original point, I don't think our defense is that bad, I think our defensive scheme is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensDomination View Post
    There's an offense in the NFL worse than Clevelands? Holy shit just when you thought you'd seen it all!

As for the original point, I don't think our defense is that bad, I think our defensive scheme is the problem.
    But our defensive scheme is still top ten. We lost a Pro Bowl caliber linebacker, and a free safety who, say what you want about him, plays LIGHTS OUT better than Dwan Landry. Yet somehow we're still 7th overall.

I think we're just kinda spoiled.
    “I already believe I am the best linebacker in the game. Now, I have to show one more thing ? That I am the most dominating, influential person in the game and the best football player to ever put on a pair of cleats.” -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by effo5231 View Post
    But our defensive scheme is still top ten. We lost a Pro Bowl caliber linebacker, and a free safety who, say what you want about him, plays LIGHTS OUT better than Dwan Landry. Yet somehow we're still 7th overall.

+1,000,000,000,000,000

Landry hasn't been the same since the injury.
    "A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football." - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

us being spoiled was what i was really trying to get at. we have been so dominate for so long that just a little slip and its like the sky is falling

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    Interestingly, FO has us rated #4 defensively based on DVOA. We actually rank very favorably overall, which I didn't realize at all. We've played some very tough teams. Our overall win record should be 6.4 - 2.6 which is pretty good.

Overall these numbers are far more favorable than I thought they'd be. We've played #1 NE, #6 Minn and #11 Cinci twice, and still play #2 Indi and #7 Pitt twice. Yet our strength of schedule is pretty low because we also play #32 Det, #31 Oak, #30 Clev 2x, #27 KC and #25 Chi.

Note also that Cleveland's offensive DVOA is not worst in the league...Oakland's is.

- C -
    i might be wrong about this but isnt strength of schedule based off of last seasons records? is so that stat is irrelevant because Cincy, Minn, and Denver are much better than they were last season

The FO DVOA strength of schedule adjustment is based on how the teams play this year rather than last year. So those numbers are adjusted right.

As a fan base, we are basically adjusting from having an elite defense to a good, but not great defense.

Importantly, every time we have switched coordinators, the defense took a statistical downturn -- even with Rex.

The critical difference are the safeties rather than the corners I think, you can't have both safeties coming back from serious neck injuries who are playing softer than they did before. How much of this is mental (Dwan) versus permanent (Ed) remains to be seen.

Blog Entries

Oh god no. Everyone talks about this like it's the worst defense in the league. It's got issues, mainly passrush and depth at corner, but it's still a functional and fairly effective defense.

But our defensive scheme is still top ten. We lost a Pro Bowl caliber linebacker, and a free safety who, say what you want about him, plays LIGHTS OUT better than Dwan Landry.
    Yes, an average safety is much better than a horrible one. Although Landry did have a strong game against the Browns. Prior to the injury I would say that Landry played better than Leonard.

What those stats dont show is our sometimes inability to close out games.

SD and Chiefs game were not put away until late and we also seem to give up early leads -- Bengals both times is the perfect example. We slow started against the Bengals both times and we didnt exactly light up the first half against the hapless Browns.

While I agree we have been spoiled, there is something going on here that the stats do not show.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    What those stats dont show is our sometimes inability to close out games.

SD and Chiefs game were not put away until late and we also seem to give up early leads -- Bengals both times is the perfect example. We slow started against the Bengals both times and we didnt exactly light up the first half against the hapless Browns.

While I agree we have been spoiled, there is something going on here that the stats do not show.
    It's not the ability to close games we have a problem with, it's slow starting we have problems with...at least recently. We can't let teams get out in front of us cause of defensive lapses the same way we have been recently.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid