Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dilfer / Stover

Re: Dilfer / Stover

Quote Originally Posted by Beerracuda View Post
    After all, Stover's going to be 42 years old this January. At what point do you finally say enough? Do you wait until he's 43? 44? 45?
    You replace him when he plays himself out of the job, and not before! You use the extra roster spot, and keep Gano on who had the stronger leg.

Regarding Dilfer, I disagree with the prevailing sentiment here. I am not, nor ever have been, a stats guy; rather I prefer to look at the player's impact on the team's success. Dilfer may not have had Grbac's statistics; but he's the kind of leader I want on my team.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

I miss Bart more than Dilfer, Stover, C Mac and Jimmy Leonard combined. I also miss Jason Brown. Birk is not all that. Brown was dominant last year and deserved the coin.

You can jot keep them all. Dilfer was not a very good Qb, but I would have liked to have had him to put in there when Elvis tapped out.

:T2:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    I miss Bart more than Dilfer, Stover, C Mac and Jimmy Leonard combined. I also miss Jason Brown. Birk is not all that. Brown was dominant last year and deserved the coin.

You can jot keep them all. Dilfer was not a very good Qb, but I would have liked to have had him to put in there when Elvis tapped out.
    I think that's how most people feel about Stover. I don't think most people that call for Stover believes he was going to last another 2, 3 or 4 more years. I think they just wanted him here until the new kicker whomever it would be proved himself.

I regards to Dilfer, I've heard several players including Jonathan Ogden and Ray Lewis say that they wanted Dilfer to return and felt that his playing was an asset to repeating. Of course I liked him because he was a cool guy and a good leader and the fact that he changed the team once he became the starter and they went on to win the superbowl. I never liked Tony Banks and I never saw why anyone would.

The Ravens would not have done anything with Dilfer the year after they did not resign him. If I remember correctly they lost both Jamal Lewis and Searcy to injury before the season. It would have been a disaster regardless of the QB.

I also don't disagree with not resigning Stover. Stover was hitting at less than 50% on FGs over 40 yards last year. He was no longer able to do kickoff duty.
    Where I do think Ozzie made a mistake is trying to not use a draft pick on Ryan Succop. Using a late round pick for a guy who will be the starter and counted on is more important than drafting some guy that does not have much of a chance of making the roster. Either trade for a 7th rounder or take him in the 6th round instead of Peerman.

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    Stover was hitting at less than 50% on FGs over 40 yards last year. He was no longer able to do kickoff duty.
    That's why the Ravens should've used an extra roster spot, and kept Gano - he had the stronger boot. If it means making the playoffs, which it might, then there really should be no debate. Eventually Stover will play himself out of the position; but that time is not now!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Let's just not boo him...please

Stover will receive a standing Ovation from yours truly!

Quote Originally Posted by ravenjoe View Post
    That's why the Ravens should've used an extra roster spot, and kept Gano - he had the stronger boot. If it means making the playoffs, which it might, then there really should be no debate. Eventually Stover will play himself out of the position; but that time is not now!
    There is a reason why they liked Hauschka over Gano, he simply did a better job in the OTAs and in the preseason.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenjoe View Post
    I'm a big supporter of Oz and company, always have been, always will be! But once in a while the Ravens Brass screw up, big-time imho. The first was when they released Trent Dilfer in favor of Elvis Grbac. And, the second, of course, was this year when they released a proven commodity in Stover to save both a roster spot, and some cap room. From the gitgo, I was vehemently against both moves. The Ravens pride themselves on retaining 'quality' people - well, you won't find two more 'quality' individuals anywhere than Dilfer and Stover. Dilfer was tossed aside after just winning a SB, even though the team was staunchly in his corner; and Matt was released, even though he wanted very much to remain a Raven. In Dilfer's case, did releasing him cost the Ravens a second run at the SB; and, in the second case, did releasing Stover cost the Ravens a return trip to the playoffs?? If the Ravens miss the playoffs by one game (i.e. the Viking game), I hope saving that second roster spot was worth it!!
    No, releasing Dilfer DID NOT cost the Ravens a second run to the playoffs....Letting Priest go, and Jamaal getting hurt did that.

I won't be at the game, but I really hope Stover gets a standing O.

No worry; I'll clap twice as hard for you.

Thanks Joe !:D