Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WTF

Re: WTF

And we're always open to suggestions. Of course some get shot down. Sort of like the time I asked my fiance if she would clip my toenails after she finished with the dishes while I reclined in my easy chair, having a beer and watching 24.
    I can't imagine why, that sounds like a perfectly reasonable request

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    I like to think of it as "our" website. Really...

I have had offers to get connected with other sites for other teams -- a coalition of sorts I suppose. Any thoughts on that? To date, I have not acted upon it. I thought to do too many things at once would make it difficult to measure the effectiveness of any individual change...
    This board is moving along nicely. It also helped that the other board is constantly shooting itself in the foot. Combine that with this is a free site verses the "other" paid site and WHALAAAA...you have word of mouth advertising which will have this board sailing past that other board. It also helps having an admin that is not a total jackass!!!! (maybe a half a English mule) but, not a jackass!!!
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

"This board is moving along nicely. "

I agree completely. At first it made me nervous that there was only a few of us. I think that is because I was so used to having to deal with 9,000 people (and a whole lot of ummmmmmmmmm . . . . okay . . . . how about trolls?), that I forgot about how nice it was to have a place to post that was a "cyber" tailgate.

I have been around since the beginning and this place reminds me of the old days when I had to be the only moderator because we all were civil and just having fun. I remember how a lot of us actually met face to face and really would love to have that happen again. Some of us I know . . . lots of you I wish I could meet :D We really have a great time tailgating . . . maybe next year I'll get to meet some of you guys.

That being said . . . . hooking up with with a network of smaller boards of opposing fans could be fun . . . . anyone remember the crazy cousin wars we had with the Browns fans?

I'm rambling . . . sorry :grbac:
    Screw 'em all

Proud Member of BASH - Baltimore Association of Steeler Haters

I've been trying to stick it out over there but that redesign may be the final nail in the coffin. I hope they get their act together though.

I still think having us divided across two boards is not good for anybody, but with that horrid redisign maybe more folks will defect over to here.

I like how this thread has developed.

I would not necesarily link to another network. That is going to get us trolls more than anything else. I find even the decent ones like Yip annoying (I think he got banned here), or the best one, IanWhetstone, preachy but informative and tolerable. There are a couple of opposing team fans I like: Amudgarten and Fat Elvis come to mind but that's about it.

I think we or a couple of us should make another pass at YBR and give invitations to the good posters that have emerged since we left. Make sure they know they can bring others but they have to be good posters. Quality is more important than quantity, but we do need more quantity.

Also, I haven't seen some of my favorite posters here lately (I'm guilty of being spotty myself) like ERiG and Stinger.

Ultimately though, I think it is a really down time in the season for us with nothing to talk about that hasn't been discussed until the draft talk starts gearing up in a couple of weeks.

I don't visit YBR much anymore but I have been there since the redesign, and I agree with what just about everyone else is saying -- the new format is really pretty bad.

I happen to like this board a lot -- there are some good posters at the other board, but there are also a lot of not-so-good posters that often drown out the good ones. The ratio of good to not-so-good is better here.

You all are welcome to invite whomever you like to this board.

I happen to like the slow growth. It helps to get to know each other a little better and helps to keep the peace as we grow larger. If we all feel like we know each other then the bad stuff tends to not emerge as much
    Screw 'em all

Proud Member of BASH - Baltimore Association of Steeler Haters

I like this board a lot better than YBR, but I do sort of miss all the activity over there in the old days. If Ravens news broke, there would be 3 threads on it all at once. It was a great way to get the news quickly and also see many opinions. Over here, the threads are few and far between. I know it comes with building a dedicated core of users, but this place is definitely headed in the right direction!

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    I like this board a lot better than YBR, but I do sort of miss all the activity over there in the old days. If Ravens news broke, there would be 3 threads on it all at once. It was a great way to get the news quickly and also see many opinions. Over here, the threads are few and far between. I know it comes with building a dedicated core of users, but this place is definitely headed in the right direction!
    I agree. It will probably get harder to build a core though. I believe the Raven's website is going to be adding message boards soon as well. That will make 4 (5?) different Raven's forums?

Quote Originally Posted by FHRaven View Post
    I agree. It will probably get harder to build a core though. I believe the Raven's website is going to be adding message boards soon as well. That will make 4 (5?) different Raven's forums?
    Just because there are official boards doesn't mean anyone has to use them. There are other teams whose best boards are not the ones on the team site.

I'm a Caps fan and the official boards are their primary message board. As much as I like it over there the faceless Mods can alter things at any given time and also implement a crazy word filter. For example if you say "ass" it posts as "that donkey from that other movie". Also, one of the players whose first name is Semen only posts as "Shipsman".

I think the Ravens might be getting to the party too late to really dominate the message board scene. The site closest to this one for another team is PewterReport.com and that is the go to Bucs message board for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave52 View Post
    Just because there are official boards doesn't mean anyone has to use them. There are other teams whose best boards are not the ones on the team site.

I think the Ravens might be getting to the party too late to really dominate the message board scene. The site closest to this one for another team is PewterReport.com and that is the go to Bucs message board for everything.
    I don't think the Ravens official board will dominate by any means. My point is that as new fans look for forums they already have several options. So the fan base may end up being well divided and none of the forums will get enough "good" posters to be the main destination.

My vote would go against linking with other team sites. This site and board has continued to get better and better.