Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

emerging front office philosophy

“We basically mortgaged the future. We don’t want to do that this time. We learned from that.” Ozzie, from the end of season presser

Hopefully this means adopting the coldblooded New England strategy. Don't wait a moment too long to get rid of somebody.

It would call, for instance, for saying goodbye to Jamal, Musa & AD, and putting money into Tony Pashos and Ovie Mughelli, young contributors who don't have someone waiting in the wings (Musa, you've met PJ Daniels, haven't you?) to step in.

I'm ready to be a coldblooded fan, if that's what it takes to field competitive teams year after year.

Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Re: emerging front office philosophy

He made it very clear to the Post tonight that we're not going for it next year. We're trying to extend the window for 3 or 4 more years. I've got to believe the only way AD stays is the franchise tag. However, the teams that are good every year (Ind,Phi,NE) are able to do that because of great QB's. They constantly let good players go because the QB's pick up the slack. That's why we drafted Kyle hoping that 3 or 4 years later he'd be the guy to pick up that slack. Doh!
    The Steelers: Still looking for a legit Super Bowl victory.

Jamal Lewis is gone. No doubt about it.

I'm happy to see this.

Also might mean JO is out as well, and we could use the cap space.

We'd have flynn to backup center and guard and edwin could come back and play LG with brown going to RG and chester to C, or you never know might get Kalil or Grubbs.

Suggs may also be extended this year to remove that 5million cap number caused by his effectiveness in getting to the QB.

We may see some other walk too, Mason may be out, perhaps even Rolle.

I agree on Musa being gone, hurt too much even if he is effective getting banged up like that doesn't really justify investment.

Ovie is hopefully coming back along with Pashos, they're worth money

So I guess we should expect at 10-6 type "transition" year then?

I believe that with this D we have a shot at the SB every year.
    "This year, our attitude when we’re on the field is we’re attacking, we want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it."
    -Mark Clayton

I hope you know that Musa is only 7 months older then p.j. daniels

both were born in 82 musa born in May of that year and P.J. born in December

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens0587 View Post
    I hope you know that Musa is only 7 months older then p.j. daniels

both were born in 82 musa born in May of that year and P.J. born in December
    It's not the years, it's the miles.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by bassgtrst View Post
    So I guess we should expect at 10-6 type "transition" year then?

I believe that with this D we have a shot at the SB every year.
    I agree. I love Adalius, especially after listening to his show every Thusday with the way he would put Miss Miami in her place. But if he wants more than what the Ravens are offering -- SeeYa. I wish him good luck where ever he goes (as long as its not the AFC North!). No player is more valuable than the team and if we lose him I'm sure Rex Ryan will come up with something to compensate. As long as he's running the Defense I'm sure it will be one of the best in the league and more than strong enough to win a Superbowl on its own with just e few breaks going there way like in 2000. In the Irsays game, every single break went to the Irsays and that's why we lost. We were missing the luck factor that every team needs to win a Championship.

You can't blame Ray for hustling, but if he doesn't knock the ball out of Adalius' hands on the fumble recovery, doesn't tip the two sure interception balls, any one of those three plays could have been a TD! Not to mention the Ref taking a nap on the Ed Reed lateral.

With our D intact any year could be a SB year as long as we can just put together a Mediocre offense and get a few breaks! And its starting to look like our offense could be a little more than mediocre. I'm hoping, and its starting to sound like it, that the Ravens start acting more like the Pats. You want too much money? - SeeYa - Next man up!
    ... They shall mount up with wings as Eagles;

You mention that the Patriots, Colts, Eagles all have great QBs and that is why they are consistantly competitive.

I agree, but I dont see us needing a HOF QB like a Brady or Manning b/c IMO we draft way way better than any of those teams.

When you can find an AD in the 6th or a Ray Lewis in the 20's you dont need an HOFer you need a guy like McNair or Pennington, average at this point, but far from liability. (Im not taking a shot at Steve Im one of his biggest fans)

Besides, with the way our FO can draft, its only a matter of time before you find a franchise guy. It takes a lot of tries, but it will happen. I mean look at the jokers the Bengals had at QB between Boomer and Palmer. We have had the same jokers until this year.

While we dont need a HOF or PB QB for this thing to work, I have a feeling we will get our man in the next draft or so.
    "This year, our attitude when we’re on the field is we’re attacking, we want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it."
    -Mark Clayton

Musa Smith 57 Carries 232 yards 4.1 Yards per carry
    P.J. Daniels 0 carries 0 yards 0 yards per carry

Umm once again hate to break it to you but that's not alot of miles either. Also with being the same age I beleive musa to more NFL mature meaning he has more of an understanding of how things work in the lealgue. The little things that you can only learn on the job.

If you want to talk injury history thats an entirely different matter but don't bring age into this and then when I call you out on that say o I meant miles and then when I show you hes only had 57 carries then try to come up with something else.

Other than the musa/daniels I agree with the rest of your argument, you make good points

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens0587 View Post
    Musa Smith 57 Carries 232 yards 4.1 Yards per carry
    P.J. Daniels 0 carries 0 yards 0 yards per carry

Umm once again hate to break it to you but
    Sorry. I was including injury miles.

The guy can't finish a game without laying flat on his back staring at the clouds for a little while. Even when he's not missing playing time for an injury, he's limping to the sidelines.

Plus he's a UFA, if it weren't for that, I wouldn't have put him on the list. We lose nothing by saying goodbye, because he's easily replaced, and if we tried to keep him, obviously we'd have to pay him.

I'm not sure what's up with you giving me a hard time over my argument style, I haven't tried to be misleading, I just try not to go step by step with my argument in every post. I try to keep them short, it seems the norm around here.

If I'm not being clear, just ask me. I'm not changing my argument at all, just unpacking it a little because you were interested.
    Festivus

im sorry, I didn't mean to be so hostile, I sincerily apologize.

I guess I want to see Musa succeed and I don't feel he has had a chance. First with the injuries, then with the Billick Loyalty.

After watching the preseason and what he did there, I was hoping for him to maybe get somewhere close to 100 carries, he seemed to be able to catch the ball well out of the backfield on screens. I was excited for Musa.

Besides loosing to the colts (one and done) in the playoffs not seeing Musa as much as I would have hoped was my biggest dissapointment.

I am a big Musa fan,now with that being said I am first and foremost a Baltimore Ravens fan. I realize players will come and go but the team will (hopefully always be here) I just don't think he has had a chance to show wha the can do.