Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Ridiculous NFL nit-picking

How is this different from like, every other NFL stadium where they can say shit like "Get Loud", or any permutation of that? Ridiculous double standard.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    You assume I was talking about his after game celebration, which I was not.

He is VERY emotional and animated on the side line. I guarantee it gets on the big screen during the game from time to time.
    In The Bucs superbowl Gruden was acting like a maniac on the sidelines, I don't know if it was ever shown on the big screen during the game but it's always apart of any thing showing that superbowl.

"I don't think it is okay for a home stadium to put their home coach on the big screen to give the home team an advantage."
    Well tell me then Gaylen, why is this such a terrible thing? It sounds to me that you've been taking "left" turns your whole life. We can't really have a true home field advantage now can we, that just wouldn't be nice, and God knows football is all about being nice.

When I saw Harbaugh on the Smart Vision Boards I used what little voice I had left to raise the decible level. You probably lost sleep over your personal outburst. How can you ever live down the thought that you may have been a part of "the Populist Rage." That's not what a good leftist does.

I agree with most on this board that it's total bullshit for the league to take action against the head coach for firing up the crowd. This is football, not croquet. It wouldn't surprise me if you were one of the ones at the local PTA meeting calling for an end to dodge ball, as some poor child has to lose.

Oh the horror, the horror....

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    Really folks...the NFL is not out to get us. Every week, its the same old stuff. One would think Baltimore seriously has self-esteem issues reading some of these rants.

First, Josh McDaniel ran down the sidelines AFTER THE GAME....outside of the context of the game therefore the comparison to Harbaugh is inaccurate.

Harbaugh was shown on the big screen...using the big screen...to fire up the crowd DURING THE GAME...inside the context of the game.

Hey...I was pumped and blew out a vocal chord at that moment. The crowd was quiet and sitting back but when he was shown on the screen, the crowd immediately became maybe louder than I have ever heard it in my 10+ years in that stadium. I loved it that Harbaugh was that fired up and loved the energy in the stadium at that moment. Its why I am a season ticket holder and will always be.

That being said...and this is where I turn left at the Populist Rage next right sign...I don't think it is okay for a home stadium to put their home coach on the big screen to give the home team an advantage. No one would like it if another team did that on the road. Imagine watching the Steelers game in Pittsburgh and seeing Thomlin getting that crowd loud via the big screen? I can't but imagine a few would be upset around here...I know I would be. Its one thing if Ray Lewis is doing it on the field or if even the screen puts up, "Get Loud" in blinking hi-def letters but for a coach to use the big screen in a home stadium to his advantage, while I loved it when it was Harbaugh did it, I think sets a wrong precedent and should be curtailed.

Just because I liked it and it got me completely out of my seat foaming at the mouth doesn't mean it is right for the game. I vote
    The Titans did that to Brian Billick. They played video of Billick saying something I don't remember what to get the crowd and players all fired up before the game. But it back fired in their face because it fired up the wrong players.

I think home field is home field. You can't cry about what happens on the road that's what playing on the road is all about. I heard yesterday about some team, again I don't remember exactly, but they didn't cut their grass because it would slow down the other team.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    You assume I was talking about his after game celebration, which I was not.

He is VERY emotional and animated on the side line. I guarantee it gets on the big screen during the game from time to time.
    You assume it gets on the big screen which you don't know if it does or not. Poor analogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephy View Post
    How is this different from like, every other NFL stadium where they can say shit like "Get Loud", or any permutation of that? Ridiculous double standard.
    Don't we put up that animated "D- Fense" thing on 3rd downs with some loud drum sounds right up to when the away team breaks the huddle?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikerobe View Post
    Well tell me then Gaylen, why is this such a terrible thing? It sounds to me that you've been taking "left" turns your whole life.
    Do yourself a favor and google the phrase "ad hominem fallacy."

We can't really have a true home field advantage now can we, that just wouldn't be nice, and God knows football is all about being nice.
    Except we do have an incredible home field advantage... but good effort, try again.

When I saw Harbaugh on the Smart Vision Boards I used what little voice I had left to raise the decible level. You probably lost sleep over your personal outburst. How can you ever live down the thought that you may have been a part of "the Populist Rage." That's not what a good leftist does.
    :grbac:

I agree with most on this board that it's total bullshit for the league to take action against the head coach for firing up the crowd. This is football, not croquet.

What action precisely was taken against Harbaugh? The league asked the stadium employee running the scoreboard not to show Harbaugh raising his arms in the air.

It wouldn't surprise me if you were one of the ones at the local PTA meeting calling for an end to dodge ball, as some poor child has to lose.

Oh the horror, the horror....
    While you're learning about adhominem fallacies... see if you can figure out what "logical disconnect" means.
    “I already believe I am the best linebacker in the game. Now, I have to show one more thing ? That I am the most dominating, influential person in the game and the best football player to ever put on a pair of cleats.” -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by RockGod View Post
    The Titans did that to Brian Billick. They played video of Billick saying something I don't remember what to get the crowd and players all fired up before the game. But it back fired in their face because it fired up the wrong players.
    That was before the game started.
    I think home field is home field. You can't cry about what happens on the road that's what playing on the road is all about. I heard yesterday about some team, again I don't remember exactly, but they didn't cut their grass because it would slow down the other team.
    Green Bay, but the NFL still regulates how tall the grass can be... Green Bay simply keeps it as long as they are legally allowed to when going against teams like Indy or Minny who usually play on turf.
    “I already believe I am the best linebacker in the game. Now, I have to show one more thing ? That I am the most dominating, influential person in the game and the best football player to ever put on a pair of cleats.” -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by effo5231 View Post
    That was before the game started.
    So it's still use of the screen for home field advantage. It was used as a tool to effect the outcome of the game. It's not like it was played after the game was played or hours before. Like someone said, Harbaugh was just waving his arms to fire up the crowd, he didn't ask to be on the screen.

Well tell me then Gaylen,
    You lost me just about here with the elementary school humor. It never fails on football boards that when someone presents a dissenting view that someone else comes in with a homophobe joke or some other equally low IQ attempt to spread their wings.

On to the O.P. Big screens are very powerful media tools at stadiums. Just think about the size of the 60 yard wide monstrosity in Dallas. I really think one has to stop for a moment to wonder if it is good for the game of football if the coaching staff or the media staff has the ability to influence the outcome of a game through manipulating the stadium's media system.

I don't agree with pumping noise into a stadium nor do I think the integrity of the sport is enhanced by having the coaching staff direct the crowd to get loud via the video boards.

It's an opinion maybe not popular but certainly valid. Enough of our lives are influenced by media these days why would you want the outcome of sport to be so easily manipulated? Seems cheap to me. And yes, I have been to about a dozen away stadiums...some multiple times. I have seen questionable stuff there as well. 2 wrongs don't make a right.

I think the more important question might be why did it take Harbaugh to tell the crowd it was time to yell?

I found this;

Several comments by Raven players and coaches were played on the video screen before and during the game. One was a scene from the postgame locker room Nov. 12, a shot of Billick waving a copy of a Sports Illustrated cover that proclaimed the Titans the No. 1 team in the NFL.

http://articles.latimes.com/2001/jan/08/sports/sp-9794

So it's still use of the screen for home field advantage. It was used as a tool to effect the outcome of the game. It's not like it was played after the game was played or hours before.
    Were you there? You have zero idea how long before the game it was played, it may well have been an hour before kick-off. I recall from our "America's Game" special that it was played during pregame warmups. I have trouble believing that a video played during pregame warmups would have any effect on crowd noise by kickoff.

Like someone said, Harbaugh was just waving his arms to fire up the crowd, he didn't ask to be on the screen.
    And he wasn't told not to wave his arms either.

I found this;

Several comments by Raven players and coaches were played on the video screen before and during the game. One was a scene from the postgame locker room Nov. 12, a shot of Billick waving a copy of a Sports Illustrated cover that proclaimed the Titans the No. 1 team in the NFL.

http://articles.latimes.com/2001/jan/08/sports/sp-9794
    I stand corrected about when it was played... That said my sister poked me in the eye when I was a kid. Do you think I should have poked her in the eye back?

Well, if that was really the final time Harbs will be allowed to fire up the crowd, I'm glad I was there for it.

The crowd was getting a little dull with the game pretty much well in hand. Harbs eggs us on from the big screen, and instantly 70,000 and on their feet unloading the Roar of Baltimore.

Honestly, its probably the moment I'll remember most from the game because it was so unique (big hits and beautiful TD passes are old hat I suppose ;)