Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Defensive Notes vs. Vikings 10/18/09

Quote Originally Posted by baltimore_hokie View Post

What I see now is when he does try to send deceptive pressure, it is not nearly as successful as Rex's rushes. Whereas Rex could rush five guys and two of them would be completely untouched in route to the QB, Mattison's rushers seem to get clogged up and provide no pressure. That is why Rex is so good, he can rush 3 guys but do it in a way that is confusing. He will have three offensive lineman blocking one guy, two guys that are 1-on-1, and one guy untouched.

Exactly. I mentioned something similar to this last week. The number of times we get blitzers an untouched look at the QB is far less than I remember last year. It may not always result in a sack but the QB has to make an on the spot decision in a hurry.

I remember hearing Bart talk about how he and Ray would decide after the call which one was blitzing. If they do not even know, the O line and Qb is not going to know, and that is why they seemed to be coming free so often.

The 3-4 alingment makes the regular 4 rushers very hard to identify pre snap and extra guys that much more dangerous.

You get backs not knowing where to slide, TEs 1 on 1 vs your OLB and all kinds of mismatches without even really scheming anything when you line up in sucha way and move around enough so the O does not know what you are doing.

The way the Broncos have been playing on D is the way I hope the Ravens start to play. It is not like Dumerville is that much better than Suggs, but he has been allowed to move around and has so much blitzing going on up the middle, he hardly gets double teamed.

The Ravens had to choose between Harrison and Woodley last year and rely on the RBs to pick up anything inside facing a steeler D that was very similar to the Ravens in personel but ran a different version of the 3-4, mostly in how the secondary backed it up with press coverage and mad roaming by Troy presnap and blitzing him and dropping him into all kinds of coverages including deep cover 2 from the box.

I think Reed is better as the SS at this point the way he likes to jump routes and blitz, and maybe slide Nakamura into the deeper cover 2 role.

:T2:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lap View Post
    Exactly. I mentioned something similar to this last week. The number of times we get blitzers an untouched look at the QB is far less than I remember last year. It may not always result in a sack but the QB has to make an on the spot decision in a hurry.
    And that is when Mr.Reed shines. QB hurries and he makes a bad decision and wa la Reed is there to make a play