Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: You can't pin the loss solely on Haushka

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    This is the second field goal he has missed with very limited attempts this season. Missing a game winner could crush his psyche, not to mention the guy isn't kicking the ball very deep on kick-offs, WHICH IS THE WHOLE REASON HARBAUGH WANTED HIM AND NOT STOVER!!!

I'd like to think there is somebody out there that could do a better job. I know this team has a ton of issues, especially at DB, but we can't fix those so easily. Rotten kickers are pretty expendable if you ask me.
    So in his first year as a kicker you would have called for Stover's firing too right? Because he wasn't the same guy either, and missed a good percentage of kicks.

Forget BTW that Hauschka didn't have to even attempt a field goal in his last two games. So it's not like he's had this ton of experience yet. He's kicked 7 FGA's all year. And he's made 5 of them. It's not like he's just shanking kicks left and right.

Missing a game winner could crush his psyche??

Sigh.

2. Re: You can't pin the loss solely on Haushka

That kick would have missed from 30 yards. It was never heading towards the goalpost. The only way it would have had a chance is if it was on the right hash mark.

The fact of the matter is the whole reason we have Haushka was because he was supposed to be able to make long field goals and kick it in the endzone. Yesterday he only had one kick that was a touchback and missed a 44 yard clkutch FG for the win. This was all in a dome. It's inexcusible, and he should be fired.
    But not get fired....Now if he misses another like that...all bets are off on firing him.
    Last edited by Tspot-D-Ravenator; 10-19-2009 at 12:26 PM. Reason: addition

Doesn't it make sense that if Harbaugh would want to get rid of one of the game's most legendary kickers because he couldn't put the ball in the endzone and he had trouble making longer field goals, then Harbaugh should want to get rid of a second year kicker who has the same issues?

4. Re: You can't pin the loss solely on Haushka

Click Here----> SHANKAPOTOMUS
    And for anyone's 411, The Shank was drated by......Minnesota in the 2008 Draft:grbac:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tspot-D-Ravenator; 10-19-2009 at 12:49 PM.

Doesn't it make sense that if Harbaugh would want to get rid of one of the game's most legendary kickers because he couldn't put the ball in the endzone and he had trouble making longer field goals, then Harbaugh should want to get rid of a second year kicker who has the same issues?
    The difference is that Stover was declining in all those areas due to age. Stover was 5 of 9 over 40 yards last year. His kickoffs were getting to the 15 yard line. And by the way he is over 40 and his leg is getting weaker. There is nothing wrong with Hauscka's kickoffs. When the coverage is good they don't get out past the 25. Whether or not he becomes a clutch kicker that they can count on to wins games, I don't know. But it was time to move on from Stover. It is a shame the Ravens did not get succop because he looks really good.

I did notice before the Vikes called a time out that Hauschka was really nervous and jumpy.

6. Re: You can't pin the loss solely on Haushka

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    The difference is that Stover was declining in all those areas due to age. Stover was 5 of 9 over 40 yards last year. His kickoffs were getting to the 15 yard line. And by the way he is over 40 and his leg is getting weaker. There is nothing wrong with Hauscka's kickoffs. When the coverage is good they don't get out past the 25. Whether or not he becomes a clutch kicker that they can count on to wins games, I don't know. But it was time to move on from Stover. It is a shame the Ravens did not get succop because he looks really good.

I did notice before the Vikes called a time out that Hauschka was really nervous and jumpy.
    They should have kept Stover and Hauschka and released Frank Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Tspot-D-Ravenator View Post
    Click Here----> SHANKAPOTOMUS
    And for anyone's 411, The Shank was drated by......Minnesota drafted him in the 2008 Draft:grbac:
    That's great!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

I just don't think the kid can handle pressure, and the pressure on him just went up ten fold now that he missed his first attempt at a game winner. What's wrong with cutting your losses? He's just a kicker for crying out loud. If we are going to have a guy that shanks pressure kicks than I at least want someone who can put every kickoff in a dome towards the back of the endzone.

I just don't think the kid can handle pressure, and the pressure on him just went up ten fold now that he missed his first attempt at a game winner. What's wrong with cutting your losses? He's just a kicker for crying out loud. If we are going to have a guy that shanks pressure kicks than I at least want someone who can put every kickoff in a dome towards the back of the endzone.
    You are just flat out overreacting, and I am going to chalk it up to simply this. The dude is in his first year as the full time kicker and he's 5-7. He missed the kick. If he keeps doing it, then I'm all for replacing him. But not after one kick in his first year with the job. That's rediculous and unrealistic and if people had that attitude all the time Stover wouldn't have become a "legendary" kicker either.

I can see this either way. If they replace Hauska I can't argue w/ the decsion, but I think Harbaugh will give this kid one more chance.

Stover was automatic from inside of 40. The last few years of his career here he was not automatic from outside of 40.

Again, yes the kid missed a big kick....but no K makes every GW chance.
    If he misses another GW from the same distance or closer, then he has to go for sure.

And what has happened to McGahee?

FM

Blog Entries

And who are you going to bring in that does a better job?

Graham Gano? Please, he'll miss TWO more game deciding FGs and I bet someone will be out there going "Well, the offense didn't get him close enough"

Matt Bryant? That's the ONLY veteran K I know of available that would make sense. Unless Billy Cundiff got cut by the Browns yet...

Carney from NO could be interesting, but the Saints kept Carney in the K job while Hartley was active, so they may choose to keep Carney around for most of the year.

I'm just not seeing any options that make sense to bring in OVER Hauschka. You can talk all you want about how we should've kept Stover...that ship has sailed now. Looking at WHAT IS AVAILABLE, I don't think we have any better option than Steve.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Everyone wants all kinds of wholesale changes, a WR, a set of new Cornerbacks, and now a new kicker. Football doesn't work that way. Your roster is pretty much set at the start of the season and then there are salary issues, trade deadlines. Moves are only made if a player gets hurt and is put on IR.

People, all I'm going to say is what you see is what your going to have for the rest of the season. I bet that if Stover were available (which he isn't), the team would still stick with Haushka for the rest of the year. Frankly, I support the direction of the team, even if it results in a loss.

We were so spoiled by Stover, especially in 2000 when he was the best offensive weapon on the team. But good teams don't put their kicker in that position. We lost the game because the defense couldn't hold back Minnesota's offense. We were ahead 31-30. We should have held them.