Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The irony is, this is what we asked for....

I have to admit, I find it interesting that so many of us (myself including, so I'm not passing blame) are turning on the defense as quickly as we did with the offense all these years.

I can't remember how many times I heard friends of mine say "I wish he just had a 350 yard/game QB like these other teams that get all the ESPN & NBC show highlights. I'd even be willing to give up some points on Defense. I hate the way we win 15 -7 each week".

Well, now we are here, and it's the same complaints it's been for 10 years only in reverse. I think one thing we need to realize is that we could EASILY be 6 - 0 right now. None of these losses are blowouts. With Flacco we will be in every game. For all we know, the defense may work out it's kinks during the bye week.

Also, we have to face facts, the Raven's great defense of the past decade is gone. We are a different team now - THE ONE THAT WE WANTED.

Take the specifics out of it, and look beyond the individual players - yes Walker, Washington, Foxworth, all of them are subpar. And here is the problem in a nutshell, in my opinion: THE SALARY CAP. We have put a lot more $$$$$ on Offense the past few years, and the majority of the 1st and 2nd round picks have been for the O-Line, Flacco & Rice.

In the NFL, you patch one hole and the other one is exposed with the salary cap. It's only 1 or 2 teams each year that can pull off both, and that can not last.

It's the system we are a part of, and it can't be fixed. I'm angry today too, and personally, I put more of the blame on special teams than anybody (not just kicking game, but the coverage on our team is HORRIBLE. We get a blocking in the back penalty at least once a game too on returns). We just have to realize that our team's method of winning has changed, hold our breath when the Defense is out there, and hope that Cam Cameron loves the grey and rainy Maryland weather in the fall for many years to come.

Re: The irony is, this is what we asked for....

oh yeah - forgot to add this -

it's not all on the Defense for the simple reason that we are scoring more often, and also passing more often. We are not holding the ball for as long as we used to in previous years. Even when it's a quick score, like the Ray Rice run at the end yesterday, it doesn't help the D.

They are simply out there longer than we have seen in years.

I'm not sure I agree with the D being on the field more. I remember a LOT of 3 and outs. I remember seeing the D more than the O in years past. Maybe because they were more memorable, but I think the difference in time on the field is probably small.
    There is only absolute black and absolute white, all else are shades of gray.

Question Re: The irony is, this is what we asked for....

What do you mean "we"? I recall a few debates with the Madden players about not compromising the defense in order to buy the services of an expensive WR. Some even wanted to trade Suggs for Boldin.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Most of our salary cap money is on the defensive side of the ball. Remember that record deal that Suggs got? How is that working out for us? Ray Lewis got a nice payday in the offseason. Foxworth got 27 million to play for us.

If you look over our drafting history you will see that it is almost 50/50 offense to defense, it's just the fact that most of the time the offensive picks have been busts. Lately it has been the defensive picks that have sucked. We have a 2nd round LB that hasn't seen the field yet.

"We have put a lot more $$$$$ on Offense "

No we haven't. Like who?

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    What do you mean "we"? I recall a few debates with the Madden players about not compromising the defense in order to buy the services of an expensive WR. Some even wanted to trade Suggs for Boldin.
    I am not French and i am not we. Give me the old win ugly routine anyday
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

You guys make it sound like we threw the entire defense under the bus. We gave Suggs a record deal. We let McAlister go because he apparently has issues and Harbaugh hates him. We signed Foxworthless for 27 million dollars. We gave Ray more money than any other team in the NFL was willing to give him. The team didn't think much of Leonhard and let him walk. We couldn't afford Scott, Ray, and Suggs. If anything we have invested a lot more into the D than we did the O. Our highest paid player on offense retired 2 years ago.

This is nearly the same team that took the field last year. The difference is that Flacco has stepped up to a pro-bowl level and the defense has stepped down. Suggs isn't earning his paycheck and Foxworthless is a bad signing.

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    You guys make it sound like we threw the entire defense under the bus. We gave Suggs a record deal. We let McAlister go because he apparently has issues and Harbaugh hates him. We signed Foxworthless for 27 million dollars. We gave Ray more money than any other team in the NFL was willing to give him. The team didn't think much of Leonhard and let him walk. We couldn't afford Scott, Ray, and Suggs. If anything we have invested a lot more into the D than we did the O. Our highest paid player on offense retired 2 years ago.

This is nearly the same team that took the field last year. The difference is that Flacco has stepped up to a pro-bowl level and the defense has stepped down. Suggs isn't earning his paycheck and Foxworthless is a bad signing.
    This.

I saw Suggs running around blocks yesterday as if he was scared of contact. I don't think I have ever seen a Raven player so averse to contact on defense that wasn't a corner or Reed protecting his neck.

Ray got paid a hell of a lot more here than he would have anywhere else...hell did anyone else even want him? Foxworth was a career nickle that Ozzie touted as the "replacement for McAlister" with that ridiculous contract. 3 out of our first 4 picks were on defense this year in the draft.

The bottom line is teh defense has gotten old without suitable replacements...Gregg isn't the same, Landry has been bad, WAshington has completely lost all confidence (when was the last time a healthy starter not only didn't complain about being benched, but said "I agree with the benching"?), Pryce is old, Suggs is COMPLETELY taken out of the game by quality OT's and Gooden is fast, but that's about it. And we haven't reloaded in the draft really at all.

This is not the team "I" wanted.

I've always wanted this offense but with our defense of old....

Hopefully we can find it again.

I miss Rex.

Purpleguy...
    I don't think letting Leonard go had anything to do with how the team felt about him.
    He was a free agent pick up that filled in nicely when Landry got hurt.
    We had already drafted two safetys who were/are on the roster in addition to Reed and Landry who are/were already under contract.
    We cannot take up that many roster spots with safetys.
    Couple that with the dollars Leonard got in New York and his apparent strong desire to play for Rex and we had no shot of keeping him.

Regarding the original post...

Returning to Ravens circa 1996 was not what everybody wanted.
    Yesterday truly reminded me of the majority of games in 1996.

All most people stated was that they'd be willing to drop down a little in defensive strength for some added offense to achieve more balance as a team.

It appears what we have done is completely tipped the scales from one extreme to the other in an effort of trying to achieve that balance.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!