Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Hauschka chokes!

My concern is will that miss hang in his mind as the season goes on, when we need him late in the season is this miss still on his mind?

Re: Hauschka chokes!

Quote Originally Posted by caliraven View Post

But, can you believe Flacco and Rice are in onltheir second years!!!!?
    Its hard to believe. What a draft that was!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FHRaven View Post
    You need to look beyond what you read in the Sun paper.

First, a handful of Stover's missed kicks during that time were because the ST Coach decided to change the timing on kicks. Brilliant move to mess with success.

Second, how many pressure kicks has Stover missed? Frankly, I can't remember any (although he must have). The last pressure kick? Playoffs, at Tenn., here's the quote from from the NFL Gamebook, "Matt Stover nailed a 43-yard field goal with 57 seconds remaining to put the Ravens up, 13-10. " That's why you keep your money kicker until he can't do it anymore.

I can say for sure that Hauschka is now 0% in pressure situations.

the only presure kick i can ever remember Stover missing was in Miami in OT when we gave the Dolphins there only win in 2007

My Opinion?

I have never been high on Hauschka...ever. I don't know what it was about him...but I didn't think much of his leg or his accuracy.

Was his leg bigger than Stovers...sure, but he wasn't Janikowski as far as leg strength out there.

I was in favor of Stover and Gano...Gano CLEARLY had the much stronger leg and had a terrific college season this past year at FSU where he was like 20-22. Even during the preseason, I was VERY impressed with Gano's kickoffs and Hauschka's, while certainly longer than Stovers, weren't getting into the end zone.

They aren't going to want to hear the media and fans bitching about this, but this is the bed they made and Harbs, Rosberg and Ozzie will have to lie in it until Hauschka either steps up later, or is out of here.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    They aren't going to want to hear the media and fans bitching about this, but this is the bed they made and Harbs, Rosberg and Ozzie will have to lie in it until Hauschka either steps up later, or is out of here.

"Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Blog Entries

We would've gone closer, but there was no time on the clock and no TO...so Joe had to get everyone set and spike it.

As for the miss...sigh...it is what it is. It's very easy to say "Stover makes that kick" and things like that, but sooner or later you are going to HAVE to go through this. Even if we bring Stover back this year, what happens when he decides to retire next year? Sooner or later you HAVE to let a kicker go through the growing pains. We're just spoiled because from day 1, Stover has been ridiculously good.

As for what to do from here...it's tough. I think bringing in Ks constantly to try out might be good in case someone displays the consistency we'd like, but even then, the true test is game day, when the game is on the line. So even bringing in another kicker could result in yet ANOTHER game lost on a FG.

I think the right thing to do is go into your basement, shout some obscenities, pound a pillow or a punching bag, and then come back and move on. Gostowski missed an easier one in NE (Granted it was snowing and windy) today...but that's his HOME FIELD! It's very easy to say "You shouldn't miss in a dome!" but there are other factors there.

Just my two cents...This loss hurts BAD...I knew he'd likely miss it and I knew this reaction would come. Take positives from the play of the offense and that while our D is porous, it holds up when we need it most.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Steven Hauschka

Ahhhh sad thing about Mr. Hauschka is that he won the kicking job not because he was good but simply because he wasn't as bad as Gano who IMO didn't get much of a fair chance. Gano missed 2 and he was never seen again. When the game was on the line and Mr. Hauschka had a chance to prove himself to his teammates and the fans to win a very important game and he chokessssss. And chokes in a dome with no wind or weather to contend with. Its safe to say that Mr. Hauschka is not our future kicker. He is definatley no Stover or many other kickers around the league. I believe that they won't replace him now but best believe that the Ravens may cash in a lower then normal draft pick on a kicker they deem to be top on their board. Until then we pretty SOL on the kicker front. I hope to god we don't get in another situation where we need a FG to win. And god I hope that if we do its not in the playoffs. I am done my little rant.

Whats worse the missed kick or the defense letting up a what 60 yard bomb right after we go ahead.

Thing is good teams don't let it come down to the kicker. I didnt like the 2nd down run. But if your going to do that make sure your RB knows to go straight up the middle. I've seen teams run a QB sneak to get the ball lined up directly for the kicker. Flacco was playing lights out, a la Petyon Manning. 20 seconds was plently of time to throw another pass and get everyone up to the line for the spike.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Stover was just as inconsistent his first couple of years as well. People want to make it out as Stover has been this good since he entered the league, and he wasn't.

Hauschka is going to have to grow up just like Stover did in this league. And there should come a point to where Hauschka is making these kicks with no problem. But expecting it right out of the gate isn't realistic.

And as Dade very correctly states:

Thing is good teams don't let it come down to the kicker.
    The one exception I'll give are the Patriots who has had to rely on Vinatieri to win a couple big games for them. But for the most part this is right on. There is no reason after we scored that the defense should have let Favre launch a 58 yard bomb to SYDNEY (Sephy ;>) Rice on the very first snap of the ensuing posession.

I'm not absolving Hauschka of missing the kick. He had the distance, and should have made the kick. But to act like he's the sole reason we lost is not right.

Last year Stover was 5 of 9 on Field Goals in the 40-49 range. I hardly think it was a given he would have made that kick.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    The one exception I'll give are the Patriots who has had to rely on Vinatieri to win a couple big games for them. But for the most part this is right on. There is no reason after we scored that the defense should have let Favre launch a 58 yard bomb to SYDNEY (Sephy ;>) Rice on the very first snap of the ensuing posession.

I'm not absolving Hauschka of missing the kick. He had the distance, and should have made the kick. But to act like he's the sole reason we lost is not right.
    I believe BB made a pack with the devil. Only reason the Pats have enjoy the success they have.

Right, Hauschka doesn't get off the hook, the defense gets the blame for this lost, Hauschka does share some of the load.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Our secondary looks suspect... we should bring back Rod Woodson! Woodson wouldn't have allowed that 60 yarder to Sid Rice IMO.

Stover didn't get snapped up as soon as we let him go, it took an injury to a starting kicker to get him a job. The coaches, who spend a fuck ton of more time with these guys than just Sundays, clearly viewed Stover as more of a liability than he was an asset. What precisely makes anyone here think they know better?
    “I already believe I am the best linebacker in the game. Now, I have to show one more thing ? That I am the most dominating, influential person in the game and the best football player to ever put on a pair of cleats.” -Ray Lewis