Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Hauschka chokes!

Just to note...Lindell just missed wide left, would've given the Bills a win, instead they take Rex Ryan to OT, and Jets get the ball first.

So, it happens to others too! And Lindell is a pretty decent veteran kicker.

The only thing I will give someone complaing about Hauschka is that some of his KOs are looking about as good as Stover's. I can write the misses off this year as the learning curve, but when you are in a windless dome and your KO only goes to the 6? No, we need you booming those things to the endzone.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Bottom Line: Secondary problems are obvious to all who have been watching the Ravens this year. Clearly, they need to play better, or this team will be playing golf come January. We can't simply let teams with average passing attacks carve us up week-in and week-out. Having said that, this team was in a position, again, to win the game at the end.

Saying that Stover missed FGs early in his career too means squat. We had a proven quantity in Stover, and let him go simply because he was taking up another roster spot. Haushka was kept on board since he had the stronger leg. Well, Haushka had maybe two kicks today that made the goal line; most reached the five, or ten yard line.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

3. Re: Hauschka chokes!

Buffalo's kicker just missed a 46 yarder to win the game. He missed way wide right. FIRE HIS ASS IMMEDIATELY!
    Ape4ravens

Quote Originally Posted by effo5231 View Post
    Stover didn't get snapped up as soon as we let him go, it took an injury to a starting kicker to get him a job. The coaches, who spend a fuck ton of more time with these guys than just Sundays, clearly viewed Stover as more of a liability than he was an asset. What precisely makes anyone here think they know better?
    Sentimental value. Stover has been here since the team moved to Baltimore. And he HAS won big games for us. But the same people that were getting frustrated that Stover was missing kicks the same way last year now think he'd make any kick you put in front of him. It is a natural feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenjoe View Post
    Saying that Stover missed FGs early in his career too means squat. We had a proven quantity in Stover, and let him go simply because he was taking up another roster spot. Haushka was kept on board since he had the stronger leg. Well, Haushka had maybe two kicks today that made the goal line; most reached the five, or ten yard line.
    1) No, it DOESN'T mean squat. It means since you have to start over at the kicking position anyway, you need to realize that Hauschka is still a young kicker that has the starting job for his first year. He's going to miss his share of kicks, just like Stover did. You HAVE TO give him that room to grow.

2) If Stover was still a proven commodity, why did we let him go? And why did it take 6 weeks for him to land a job after an injury? It wasn't SIMPLY because it took up a roster spot. If it didn't require two roster spots to keep a place kicker, we wouldn't have let Stover go. You basically argued against your own point.

Stover was 9-20 between 40 and 49 his first three years. In the years altogether, he was about a 70% kicker. Its hard to say what the impact wil be on is head though missing his first really important kick. I wouldn't want to see him in that same scenario later in the season.

Why didn't they try to make it a closer kick? Flacco was lights out at that time, and they run it up the middle with Rice once then kill the clock all the way to 2 seconds? 44 yards isn't automatic for anyone - especially a young kicker who has never been in that pressure situation before.
    BINGO! WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

I was fucking pissed when the team ran down the clock and not try to go for another short pass play or running play so that we can get closer range for Hauschka. What the fuck is Harbaugh thinking?
    Former Season ticket holder from 1996 to 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Glick View Post
    Buffalo's kicker just missed a 46 yarder to win the game. He missed way wide right. FIRE HIS ASS IMMEDIATELY!
    Difference is did Buffalo have a proven kicker and released him to bring in someone with a stronger, yet unproven leg?
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    1) No, it DOESN'T mean squat. It means since you have to start over at the kicking position anyway, you need to realize that Hauschka is still a young kicker that has the starting job for his first year. He's going to miss his share of kicks, just like Stover did. You HAVE TO give him that room to grow.

2) If Stover was still a proven commodity, why did we let him go? And why did it take 6 weeks for him to land a job after an injury? It wasn't SIMPLY because it took up a roster spot. If it didn't require two roster spots to keep a place kicker, we wouldn't have let Stover go. You basically argued against your own point.
    1 - Why did we have to start over in the first place?! That's my question. Simply because retaining him would've necessitated using up a second roster spot - with the way this ST unit has played, it makes no sense. It likely would've made the difference between a W and a L today.

2 - Stover is a proven quantity in terms of delivering pressure kicks! I believe that is pretty much not in question. They should've used the extra spot, and kept Gano - he had the stronger kickoff leg.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenjoe View Post
    1 - Why did we have to start over in the first place?! That's my question. Simply because retaining him would've necessitated using up a second roster spot, with the way this ST unit has played, makes no sense. It likely would've made the difference between a W and a L today.
    I have bolded the answer for you right there. You're making the arguement and you don't realize it.

Stover isn't a complete kicker anymore. And he wasn't automatic anymore from the distance that Hauschka was kicking from.

How many other teams in the NFL have to use 2 roster spots for place kickers???

2 - Stover is a proven quantity in terms of delivering pressure kicks! I believe that is pretty much not in question.
    NOT
    FROM
    THAT
    RANGE!!!!!!!!!

They should've used the extra spot, and kept Gano - he had a stronger leg than does Hauscka.
    You did see how Gano missed kicks in the pre-season, right?

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    I have bolded the answer for you right there. You're making the arguement and you don't realize it.
    I hear ya Stinger. My only point is that I would not have released Stover, and retained Gano - I would've eaten the second roster spot, because I had a kicker that was still solid withing 45 yards. I know this was a controversial decision; but this is where I stand, and it probably cost us a W today.

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Thing is good teams don't let it come down to the kicker.
    No. That's crap. We were playing a very good team on the road today. Those games very often come down to the kicker.

But, people need to stop acting like Stover definitely would have hit that. There is not a slow decent from being great to being mediocre or bad when you're aging. It's fast.

Stover from 40-49:
    '06 - 6 for 7 (86%)
    '07 - 8 for 12 (67%)
    '08 - 5 for 9 (56%)

That kick is ANYTHING but automatic for Stover, who very well may not be capable of even reaching the uprights at this point, nevermind putting it through them.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid