Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jeff Fisher...most overrated coach ever?

It seems like the talking heads on four letter network and other places have this baseless reverence when talking about Jeff Fisher. I don't get it and never have. You could argue that probably three times he has had the best team in the NFL over the last ten years or so, and hasn't won a Super Bowl. Any other coach would get killed for that. Many coaches have lost their jobs for a lot less.

What brought this on is that I was reading the Tennessean website and caught this report card blurb...

"COACHING ... F
    The Titans were undisciplined. They had two roughing-the-passer penalties on a touchdown drive at the end of the first half. They had nine penalties for 89 yards -- both season highs. Offensively they were too satisfied with field goals early and lacked aggressiveness. They had a chance to grab early momentum, but Jeff Fisher opted for a field goal on fourth-and-1 at the Indy 25."

I knew the Titans would falter this year because they reminded me so much of the Ravens during McNair's first year with us. I didn't think they would be this bad though, yet the national media has been mum criticizing Jeff Fisher for the most part. The future of their franchise isn't looking too great either (cough Vince Young).

Why does he get a pass?

Re: Jeff Fisher...most overrated coach ever?

:T2: Moustache that says Kung Fu Darth Vader mental death grip and Chuck Norris fearsness.

He is not a great coach, but he is not a bad one. He got real unlucky in a lot of big games, and has had the normal up and downs of parity and cap purge NFL cycles.

His franchise QB turned out not to be the next Steve McNair just yet and father time and film study caught up to Collins.

:T2:

LOL

He's 127-102 and 5-4 in the playoffs, two yards from winning a Superbowl. He's done this with largely mediocre talent and in some cases downright terrible talent.

No one overrates him. He's a very good coach who goes through up and down years. This year is a down year...those happen.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    LOL

He's 127-102 and 5-4 in the playoffs, two yards from winning a Superbowl. He's done this with largely mediocre talent and in some cases downright terrible talent.

No one overrates him. He's a very good coach who goes through up and down years. This year is a down year...those happen.

- C -
    Exactly.

How many Super Bowl trophies are given out a year again?

PP

Fisher is a great coach and kudos to the Titans for staying loyal to him. That team wasn't expected to do squat last year and they went 13-3. Even great coaches hit occassional rough patches. BTW, those two roughing the passing calls last week were more typical NFL BS trying to protect another golden child.

FWIW it was rumored that Fisher did not want Vince Young, and the owner did because of his connections to Texas and that is why they took him.

As far as him being overrated, maybe a little bit but he is still a good coach.

They have no radio broadcast for their team. That says it all. Cheap. He is a top 5 coach almost always in contention. He lost his D coord and best Dlineman in the league. He also has no WR and o QB. Not a bad job if you ask me
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

He would have no trouble getting another Head Coaching job if he were to leave the Titans.

Fisher is no different than Cowher before Cowher finally won the big game, and many Ravens fans used to label Cowher as overrated.

How can you have the best team multiple times in your career and never win the big one? Not once? Their first round exit last year was a joke, let's face it the Ravens were tired, banged up, and starting a rookie QB. They would have hosted the Steelers at home again if they had beaten us.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Nurse View Post
    They have no radio broadcast for their team. That says it all. Cheap.
    http://www.titansradio.com/sectional.asp?id=28013

Quote Originally Posted by RavensDomination View Post
    How can you have the best team multiple times in your career and never win the big one?
    Two reasons.

1) He's had the best team maybe once (the year we won the SB), maybe. If even that. He certainly hasn't had it "multiple times."

2) There are 31 other teams in the NFL that are also playing to win the big one.

Right now there are 32 head coaches in the NFL. 29 of them have never won the Superbowl. I guess they're all overrated too?

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    LOL

- C -
    These numbers sound familiar:

What coach had the following resume and was run out of town for being a bad coach?

Regular season record: 80-64
    Post season record: 5-3
    Superbowl record: 1-0

Not to start another Billick argument here. But, I don't get why the same people who desperately wanted Billick gone are here defending a coach with a very similar resume. Yes Billick had his ups and downs. But on every down year everyone wanted him out.

I do think based on how the team was built, it was probably time for him to go, but another option would have been to rebuild the team over time.

Section 106 from start to finish!