Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Halftime Salute to the Colts/Ravens Marching Band

The Colts Marching Band is the most iconic band in professional sports.

Just having them in the building is SB's way of saying "Thank You".

Brilliant documentary! Well-done. You can tell a lot of passion and love went into the making of that documentary.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

I haven't seen it but am looking forward to it. It's an inspirational story that the Colts marching band stayed together all those years with no team in Baltimore.

Saying they should retire or go away because of their (perceived) lack of talent is pretty disgraceful in my book. Anybody who would take that position would disrespect Mother Teresa cause she wasn't pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by RAVENOUS52 View Post
    The Colts Marching Band is the most iconic band in professional sports.

Just having them in the building is SB's way of saying "Thank You".
    First off, keeping the band around was Modell's way of trying to bring in a lot of the old Colt fans. Also because certain band cronies spend many days and nights kissing serious ass to be involved with the new team. In other words, SB has nothing to do with it. As a matter of fact, under his regime the band has lost a considerable amount of seats (over 75%).

Secondly, the Colts/Ravens marching band is one of two marching bands in professional sports, so saying they are the "most iconic" is comical at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lap View Post
    I haven't seen it but am looking forward to it. It's an inspirational story that the Colts marching band stayed together all those years with no team in Baltimore.

Saying they should retire or go away because of their (perceived) lack of talent is pretty disgraceful in my book. Anybody who would take that position would disrespect Mother Teresa cause she wasn't pretty.
    So let me get this straight...
    Ravens Marching Band = Mother Theresa?

Wow, you people clearly have issues.... Perceived lack of talent? Are you kidding? Take a look around at a game (if you even go).... No one pays attention because they are HORRIBLE. Have you ever actually watched as a clueless sax player forgets where he is on the field and tries to run to his position, or listened as they play a horribly out of tune and unrecognizable version of ACDC because they are trying to be "hip"? I think there should be a separate Band Apologist thread for all of you who claim to love the half time show so much. You can all get together and swoon over the latest and greatest formations from the past game.

6. Re: Halftime Salute to the Colts/Ravens Marching Band

Quote Originally Posted by ravensscott57 View Post
    So let me get this straight...
    Ravens Marching Band = Mother Theresa?

Wow, you people clearly have issues.... Perceived lack of talent? Are you kidding? Take a look around at a game (if you even go).... No one pays attention because they are HORRIBLE. Have you ever actually watched as a clueless sax player forgets where he is on the field and tries to run to his position, or listened as they play a horribly out of tune and unrecognizable version of ACDC because they are trying to be "hip"? I think there should be a separate Band Apologist thread for all of you who claim to love the half time show so much. You can all get together and swoon over the latest and greatest formations from the past game.

I'm confused. If it's unrecognizable, how exactly do you know its ACDC?

Being Scottish I was brought up to respect and remember my heritage. The half time show is about the least important thing of the game so why not just let these guys who played a big part in Baltimore football history play? It's respectful to the fact that they never gave up on Baltimore getting a team again.

I recently read a blog written by a Steelers fan who advised all his fellow fans to go to a Ravens game in Baltimore one day because 'everything about the football in Baltimore is right, even though we hate the team on it'

This isn't about how good a band are, it's about showing respect.

Well put, UK - some folks just don't appreciate their history. On a related note, at every home game a segment of the band always stop by our tailgate spot and plays the Ravens fight song for us, and other selected numbers for our enjoyment. Shows class, and appreciation for the fans. The least we as fans can do is support all of their hard work and dedication!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenGordon View Post

This isn't about how good a band are, it's about showing respect.
    Respect for a marching band? You brits have some sense of humor!

9. Re: Halftime Salute to the Colts/Ravens Marching Band

Quote Originally Posted by RavensDomination View Post
    Respect for a marching band? You brits have some sense of humor!
    It's respect for what they stand for.

Quote Originally Posted by ukravengordon View Post
    it's respect for what they stand for.
    ditto!!!

Blog Entries

I am a young fan, was not even a year old when the Colts were shuttled out of town...But I appreciate the history of the Colts and I try to get as much info as I can about everything that happened with Baltimore football prior to CFL Stallions (I was old enough for that round).

Also, marrying into a family of Redskin fans, I have had to deal with their constant bs about how great the Redskins band is and how ours sucks.

From the games I've been to...the band isn't bad. Don't know if I'm qualified to say if they are good or not, but they weren't Elementary School or Middle School quality. At worst, I'd call their musical talent average.

But to some extent, I agree with them being out there just because of what they do represent. Yeah, the Browns didn't move here BECAUSE of the marching band, and yeah, they're not going to win any awards for musicianship...But that band's dedication, spirit, and determination is something we should celebrate. They kept the memory of football alive for many fans. They allowed us to keep the fire going, yearning for a sports team to have that band around for. I don't have cable, so I haven't been able to see the documentary, but from the clips I saw on it, I love some of the stories shared. Things like hiding the equipment in a masoleum for fear the Colts would take it with them...that passion, the drive that wouldn't let them forget about football in this town, it serves as inspiration for a lot of fans, me included, being someone who never got a chance to see the Colts in Baltimore.

As far as honoring them at halftime, I think the appropriate thing to do would be to have a ceremony or something during a half time this year, because of the documentary. Other than that, I think the arrangement they have right now is fine.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Are they tight as a group? Not really. Come on, it's a volunteer organization and practice time must be very limited. Given that, they are not bad.

Would I support taking them away? HELL NO.

Some people just don't understand or appreciate history and heritage.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012