Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Raiders making almost every player available for trade

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    I dunno how the salary bump works. Is it a true salary bump, or paid as a bonus? If it's a salary bump, then I guess it hits us. In that case, we shouldn't bother with him.
    From everything I've seen, it appears there is an option that extends the deal beyond 2011, but at greatly escalated salaries.

I guess they could trade for him and not exercise that option, thereby having him under contract for the rest of 2009 through 2010. They could then at some point try and work out a more reasonable deal, but that's taking a pretty huge risk, given what they would like have to trade to get him.

That said, reports now seem to indicate that Asomugha is one of he untouchable players - and rightly so - so Oakland has no intention of dealing him and they perhaps can't anyway based on the cap hit they would likely realize from the bonus he just got.
    Last edited by B-more Ravor; 10-14-2009 at 03:21 PM.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Actually, it's a lot more than that, because of an option that would force the team to raise his 2011 salary to $16.8M or the franchise amount for QBs, whichever is higher.

They'd also have to create some cap space now to accomodate his present salary of $4.5M. They'd be responsible for 11/16ths of that, but they only have less than $2M in Cap space right now, so they'd have to do some manuevering.
    Frank Walker, Chris Carr, maybe both.

Quote Originally Posted by myfavoriteboxer View Post
    The Redskins did a fire sale type move when they got a replaceable running back in exchange for their franchise shutdown corner. That was robbery-esque.

This surely must be a tease. No way they'd trade Asomugha, right?
    IT'S THE RAIDERS!!!

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    A true fire sale is highly unlikely because the Raiders would have to accelerate signing bonuses and their cap structure won't allow it. If 2010 is an uncapped year, THEN you might see that fire sale...
    Since we are post June 1st wouldn't any acceleration go into next year anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Frank Walker, Chris Carr, maybe both.
    Since they are both vested veterans, they still get paid if they are released and the team still has to account for them on the Cap.

So, if it was even possible to get Asomugha, they'd have to restructure a couple of contracts to get it done.
    Last edited by B-more Ravor; 10-14-2009 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Since we are post June 1st wouldn't any acceleration go into next year anyway?
    Since this is the "last capped year", there is no post-June 1 deferral. The full amount of acceleration hits this year. This is one of those built in CBA rule changes that were specifically aimed at preventing teams to take too much advantage of the next year being uncapped.

Otherwise (think the Ravens with McGahee), teams would have released a lot of players after June, thereby pushing the bulk of that acceleration into next year, when it (likely) wouldn't matter anyway.