Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Raiders making almost every player available for trade

Looks like a firesale in Oakland.

Perhaps they should just let the place burn they might be better off.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/10/12/arou...g-trade-calls/

There are issues in Oakland. That’s not news. Coach Tom Cable acknowledged many of them Monday while meeting with reporters, saying “The problem is not who we’re playing, the problem is us.” As the trade deadline approaches on Oct. 20, Lombardi notes that the Raiders have called “a lot of teams” and everyone is available with the exception of about five or six players, a group that includes CB Nnamdi Asomugah and QB JaMarcus Russell. “The Raiders want to shake it up, and certainly, they should,” Lombardi said. “They’re 1-4, they’re pathetic offensively. They need to do something to kind of stimulate and change the culture of the football team.”
    It has been widely reported from people who heard Glazer on the radio that Nmandi is one of the players available.

Make it happen Oz!

Edit- here is a PFT link

Report: Fire sale in the Black Hole

Posted by Mike Florio on October 11, 2009 1:12 PM ET

We pointed out Saturday that the early emergence of bad teams coupled with the desperation that some other franchises might be feeling could make for a more active eleventh-hour trading cycle.

One of the aforementioned bad teams is already trying to move some merchandise.

According to Jay Glazer of FOX, the Raiders have been calling around the league and generally offering anyone in which other franchises might be interested.

The only exceptions? The "really young talented guys."

(Um, do they have anyone that falls in that category?)

So don't be surprised if a coach or a G.M. who wants to win now or risk not being able to use next year's slate of draft picks explores the possibility of sending one or two of them to a team like Oakland, which seems to be willing to acknowledge reality and begin planning for 2010.

Re: Raiders making almost every player available for trade

Seymour would make a lot of sense for the Ravens at the right price. I would assume he's available unless Al Davis is looking to cover his tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    Seymour would make a lot of sense for the Ravens at the right price. I would assume he's available unless Al Davis is looking to cover his tracks.
    4th rounder take it or leave it.:D

4. Re: Raiders making almost every player available for trade

Hold on. So now is corner now the consensus the biggest need going to the draft and free agency next year? I've recently heard edge rusher (but I highly doubt JJ is going anywhere), and then there is the obvious hole at WR. TE is a popular choice, but at this point I think there are bigger needs on this team.

Blog Entries

Zach Miller could be a nice pickup at TE...he's young and I think he'd have a good impact.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

I have to think Roger Goodell would not allow a true "fire sale" to take place. It would compromise the integrity of the league.

Those old enough may remember the last time an Oakland team tried such a thing...

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

I actually wouldn't mind taking a shot at Nnamdi Asomugha. The Raiders are responsible for the guaranteed money and wouldn't count against our cap, so even though he's getting paid mucho bucks, he actually wouldn't cost us nearly in cap or dollars what his contract is valued at. Seriously, his salary over the next three years in total is something like $8 mil. For the best cover corner in the game?

I'd also like to think about Louis Murphy, who is pretty much running wide open every time I see him on the field. Russell couldn't hit him if he were 10 feet tall and weighed 500 pounds, but the guy looks to me like a really solid receiver and viable deep threat. Anyone remember him splitting the DBs for a go-ahead TD late in the San Diego game? The guy can play, and would probably come pretty cheap.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    I have to think Roger Goodell would not allow a true "fire sale" to take place. It would compromise the integrity of the league.

Those old enough may remember the last time an Oakland team tried such a thing...
    Say what????

What the hell does a team wanting to trade players have to do with the "integrity of the league"?

They are free to trade whoever they damn well please.

9. Re: Raiders making almost every player available for trade

The Redskins did a fire sale type move when they got a replaceable running back in exchange for their franchise shutdown corner. That was robbery-esque.

This surely must be a tease. No way they'd trade Asomugha, right?

Blog Entries

all they are doing is listening to trade offers for any player...this is probably what most teams do, they just don't broadcast it.

Goodell would only step in if they were making absolutely boneheaded trades.

The article says there are about 5-6 basically "untouchable" players on the team, including Nnamdi, JaMarcus, and a few others.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

11. Re: Raiders making almost every player available for trade

JaMarcus should be touchable, if the team had any sense. I wouldn't trade him for Chris Carr. He's probably off the block because nobody wants him.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Zach Miller could be a nice pickup at TE...he's young and I think he'd have a good impact.
    I would say he is one of those young guys they wont want to trade. Him, the two rookie WRs and McFadden.

Everyone else could be traded. I am sure Al Davis is making a call to Ozzie.

The question is what would we have to give up to get Nmadi?

I highly doubt they go after a WR as we just signed Tyree. They will probably wait till the off season to address that. I would not mind seeing Syemor as well here.

We could offer a package with possibly Troy Smith/D. Wiliams and a high draft pick.