Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Tyree Signs with Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Matt Jones is trying out for Tampa today...Tyree was also there, but cut it short to sign with us.

My gut says if Tampa really wants a WR, as long as Matt Jones isn't snorting on the field, he'll be signed there. They already lost out on one WR. And even then, I doubt we sign TWO new WRs...that's two guys who have to learn the playbook, and we don't want to find ourself in trouble if there's an injury to any of our top 3.
    The Bucs decided to stick with Yamon Figurs rather than going with Matt Jones. Teams must really see something in Jones that scares them and they want to stay away from. I guess they're not thrilled about bringing in a coke-head.

Blog Entries

The only help this provides is on ST and I though we looked better on ST the past 3 weeks.

Just heard Harbs on WBAL and he sold me on the Tyree pick up.

I mean, why not give him a shot.

He either wets the bed and we're no worse than where we are now or he turns out to be a diamond in the rough and we benefit with another weapon.

Blog Entries

I agree, this is low risk move...my issue with it is that it seems like it's also low reward...

Honestly, does he really improve our WRs? True, D.Wil is in the coach's doghouse, and our WRs aren't doing all that much, but Tyree was never a dependable WR in New York...he had the one big catch, otherwise, this is just scrap heap at WR. Granted, you don't find much at WR right now, but my point is what does another WR give us that another CB or DE doesn't? At least if we sign a DE or CB or LB, we can maybe get a situational guy who can give us some help on the D. Tyree's speciality is SPECIAL TEAMS. Maybe he kicks our special tems up a notch, but I can only see him boosting it where we go down maybe 2-3 Yards per return in coverage.

I won't hate on the pickup, but I don't see this as a worthwhile move, except that Curtis was just occupying space. With that said, and if you pay attention to my thoughts on this player during 53 cut down, you'll know how big a statement this is...I'd rather see us promote Eron Riley if we're just looking to give someone a shot.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Whatever happened to Justin "just don't send me across the middle" Harper?

Blog Entries

We have enough trust issues at WR right now with Clayton and D.Wil...Throwing Harper out there isn't worth it because I can't trust him with a throw when I need the 1st down.

Harper doesn't have problems going across the middle...His hands just aren't working the way a WR needs to. He drops too much to be consistent. I think next TC is do or die for him. He looked better this year, but if he's not trustworthy next TC, write him off.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

I am pretty sure this is more a special teams move than a Wr one. Tyree has more tackles than catches. He could be a big reward at low risk on all the coverage teams with any receptions gravy.

http://www.nfl.com/players/davidtyre...s?id=TYR159366

:T2:

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I agree, this is low risk move...my issue with it is that it seems like it's also low reward...

Honestly, does he really improve our WRs? True, D.Wil is in the coach's doghouse, and our WRs aren't doing all that much, but Tyree was never a dependable WR in New York...he had the one big catch, otherwise, this is just scrap heap at WR. Granted, you don't find much at WR right now, but my point is what does another WR give us that another CB or DE doesn't? At least if we sign a DE or CB or LB, we can maybe get a situational guy who can give us some help on the D. Tyree's speciality is SPECIAL TEAMS. Maybe he kicks our special tems up a notch, but I can only see him boosting it where we go down maybe 2-3 Yards per return in coverage.

I won't hate on the pickup, but I don't see this as a worthwhile move, except that Curtis was just occupying space. With that said, and if you pay attention to my thoughts on this player during 53 cut down, you'll know how big a statement this is...I'd rather see us promote Eron Riley if we're just looking to give someone a shot.
    Not that I disagree with you that we need help on the dline or CB, but who are we going to sign instead of Tyree. There are no good FA out there that will help at either of those positions. This is not meant to be a big signing as much as it is ment to have bodies in there and for ST help. Unless we pull off some big trade between now and Tuesday this D will be the same for thee rest of the year.
    Hating Steeler Fans Since Birth

Section 126, Row 33

Lets Go Flacco :happyanim

Blog Entries

Thats how I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Just heard Harbs on WBAL and he sold me on the Tyree pick up.

I mean, why not give him a shot.

He either wets the bed and we're no worse than where we are now or he turns out to be a diamond in the rough and we benefit with another weapon.
    Hey Houston, what did Harbs say about him as a WR, anything? Or was it all ST help?
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!

Blog Entries

I guess that's true, I'm not expecting us to sign a STARTER at DL or LB or CB, but I just think if we're going to make a change on this team, we're going to get more impact out of a PS player who has been here for awhile or maybe a street CB/LB/DL who can provide some depth and possibly push for a situational role. Then again, I'm sure Mattison has a plan for adjusting the D, so I should probably just wait and see what we do.

From that standpoint, I guess bringing in Tyree makes some sense, because he'll provide some situational help at ST, maybe provide us just competition at WR. The only other move I could see right now is signing Peerman or Mattison or Gerard off PS, since Peerman could be depth as a returner, Mattison is a former DL, could give us depth there, and Gerard for CB depth. Tyree has more impact than any of them.

12. Re: Tyree Signs with Ravens

Tyree had a whipping 4 catches for 35 yards in 2007, the season in which he made the famous catch that is the ONLY reason we are talking about him. If he doesn't make that silly grab, we probably wouldn't even know his name. This signing really will have no impact on this team.