Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

We Deserved To Lose

After taking about 24 hours to absorb this loss, I came to this conclusion -- although the penalities on that final Bengals drive drove me crazy, and although we clearly could have won this game, we really played liked garbage. The offense in particular never seemed to get into any sort of rhythm, and I can't remember the last game when the defense missed so many tackles.

I think Ed Reed single-handedly kept us in the game. So, hopefully it was just a bad game and we'll rebound next week, but I've gotten over my initial anger over all the flags. The Bengals defense actually played better than our defense on this particular day, which I definitely didn't expect, but that's what happened, IMO.

Re: We Deserved To Lose

If all your offense can muster up is 7 points in an entire game, then yes, you deserve to lose that game regardless of what else took place throughout the game.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

The guys played poorly. I think deserved to lose is a stretch given that they would have won if not for more poor officiating. They put themselves in a position to lose, certainly. But, absent some fortuitous calls, the bengals would not have had the opportunity to make the plays that would make them deserve to win. I get the point though.

Why is no one talking about Flacco missing a wide open Clayton for an easy 6 points with three minutes to play? He hits that pitch-and-catch play and the game was over.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    Why is no one talking about Flacco missing a wide open Clayton for an easy 6 points with three minutes to play? He hits that pitch-and-catch play and the game was over.

- C -
    Flacco has been MVP so far this season, and I think he deserves a bit of a pass on that throw. He really only overthrew by about a yard. Maybe he thought Clayton was a playmaker and would turn on the afterburners to get it, or maybe lay out for it. It almost seemed like we were giving Clayton a whole game to try and redeem himself for a piss poor performance against NE. Clayton once again failed miserably. One call that did somewhat go our way was Clayton being called down by contact on that fumble. It very easily could have gone either way. Clayton is not an NFL receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    After taking about 24 hours to absorb this loss, I came to this conclusion -- although the penalities on that final Bengals drive drove me crazy, and although we clearly could have won this game, we really played liked garbage. The offense in particular never seemed to get into any sort of rhythm, and I can't remember the last game when the defense missed so many tackles.

I think Ed Reed single-handedly kept us in the game. So, hopefully it was just a bad game and we'll rebound next week, but I've gotten over my initial anger over all the flags. The Bengals defense actually played better than our defense on this particular day, which I definitely didn't expect, but that's what happened, IMO.
    I agree. The dissappointing thing for me is that for the 1st time this year, it looked like the other team dictated to us what we were going to do. I am not sure if it was the pick by Joe, the fact that Gaither wasn't playing, or what, but we never seemed to challenge them. There was no hurry up offense, which I thought helps get us into the rhythem we sorely lacked yesterday.

I am not going to speak to the refs other than the last play of the game. It looked pretty clear to me that Caldwell grabbed Carr's face mask and pulled him out of position. Other than that, we were out played and out coached.

I have a sneaky feeling, we are going to play much better this week, pull off the modest upset, and go into the bye week feeling pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    Flacco has been MVP so far this season, and I think he deserves a bit of a pass on that throw. He really only overthrew by about a yard. Maybe he thought Clayton was a playmaker and would turn on the afterburners to get it, or maybe lay out for it. It almost seemed like we were giving Clayton a whole game to try and redeem himself for a piss poor performance against NE. Clayton once again failed miserably. One call that did somewhat go our way was Clayton being called down by contact on that fumble. It very easily could have gone either way. Clayton is not an NFL receiver.
    Clayton is not an NFl receiver...... haha Okay.....

You're laying that on Clayton? I must've missed when Clayton became 7'6 and an Olympic sprinter & long jumper to boot, because that's the only way he's reaching that pass.

I didn't have a problem with Flacco over throwing him, shit happens. I have a problem with only throwing the ball deep one or two times the whole game.

Wink Re: We Deserved To Lose

I don't have a problem with Flacco overthrowing him, either -- just that the low percentage long pass was the wrong call at that point of the game. Instead, a short yardage completion for the 1st down would have provided a new set of downs headed to the 2:00 break. Possibly enough to ice the game, or at least shaving enough time to have put Palmer in a deep hole.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy
    Flacco has been MVP so far this season, and I think he deserves a bit of a pass on that throw. He really only overthrew by about a yard. Maybe he thought Clayton was a playmaker and would turn on the afterburners to get it, or maybe lay out for it.
    I'm okay giving Flacco a break for that play, but to suggest it was Clayton's fault is ridiculous. He did everything he was supposed to do -- he was open, and Flacco overthrew him. End of story. I don't expect any QB to make every throw, but come on, call it like it was. Clayton got open and Flacco overthrew him.

And to get back to the point that psuasskicker brought up, yes, if they had connected on that play, that would have ended the game.

I don't think anyone here questions what I think about Clayton.

But you giving Flacco a pass on that play and ripping Clayton is laughable. Clayton had the same sort of game that he always has. Insignificant, except every so often he breaks a big one. He broke a HUGE one here, and Flacco straight up missed him. Flacco shouldn't get a pass for that one...he had the chance to put the game away for good and missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    I don't have a problem with Flacco overthrowing him, either -- just that the low percentage long pass was the wrong call at that point of the game. Instead, a short yardage completion for the 1st down would have provided a new set of downs headed to the 2:00 break. Possibly enough to ice the game, or at least shaving enough time to have put Palmer in a deep hole.
    It was 3rd and 10. There are no high percentage calls for plays like those. There's no short yardage completion for a first down even possible.

That certainly wasn't the wrong call. The fact of the matter was, it was a perfect call, because it was working other than the fact that Flacco missed an easy throw. The whole game we were moving the ball underneath, and we've been exceptionally good at doing so all year. You guys all bitch about not going deep enough this game...that's what made it the perfect call! They hadn't gone deep, the Bengals VERY clearly weren't expecting it, and Clayton was so far behind everyone that he could have stopped to read a book before making it to the end zone.

I'm not saying Flacco's not a good quarterback. But stop acting like he doesn't deserve to shoulder some of the blame on this one.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid