News, notes, rumors from Ravens' HQ

What's up with Kelly Gregg?

Who is to blame for secondary woes?

Will Gaither play on Sunday?

The trade deadline is 1 week away. Will the Ravens be players?

This and more in THE GRAPEVINE

Re: News, notes, rumors from Ravens' HQ

Our defensive line went from very good to mediocre in a matter of one offseason. That's the NFL I guess.

I don't understand all the Kelly Gregg hate at the moment. He's been one of the, if not the best DT/NT against the run through the first quarter of the season. He's been far above Ngata thus far who, to be honest, hasn't taken the next step I thought he would have this season.

I think the pressure problems are stemming from schemes so hopefully Mattison can sort it out.

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenGordon View Post
    I don't understand all the Kelly Gregg hate at the moment. He's been one of the, if not the best DT/NT against the run through the first quarter of the season. He's been far above Ngata thus far who, to be honest, hasn't taken the next step I thought he would have this season.

I think the pressure problems are stemming from schemes so hopefully Mattison can sort it out.
    Agree and disagree.

IMO, Gregg is still a great NT but not what he was his last healthy season. I think that's what Tony is trying to say here. I agree to an extent. But I also dont think Mattison is using him enough. I dont have the numbers, but it seemed to me he comes out of the game much more than he used to.

And to that extent, I agree with you on the schemes. They are vanilla and VERY predictable. I dont like seeing Ray blitzing as often as he is. I'd much prefer to see stunts and misdirection using Suggs, JJ and an occasional Reed thrown in. Keep Ray doing what Ray does best -- tackling.

Blog Entries

What I want to know is who gets the chop now that Tyree has agreed to terms.

Blog Entries

Tony Curtis got cut...no real suprise there, he was never even active for the Ravens...just a depth guy.

I'm intrigued about Bowe...He got a LOT more involved in their offense this past week, so maybe he and Haley will just be begrudgingly content with each other, but I would not mind sending and 2nd and 4th for Bowe, maybe even a player along with it. Bowe would be a nice talent to bring in, and would certainly placate our need to go WR in Rounds 1 or 2 next year (hence, why I'd be ok to trade those picks away...1st and 3rd, 2nd and 4th and a player, some kind of combo like that).
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    What's up with Kelly Gregg?

Who is to blame for secondary woes?

Will Gaither play on Sunday?

The trade deadline is 1 week away. Will the Ravens be players?

This and more in THE GRAPEVINE
    Tony,

Excellent article, especially about our secondary. I agree that that unit is not the main problem with the Ravens defense. They have been step for step with the receivers in many games but too much time to pass has led to some pinpoint passing on us that is really hard to defend. Not saying they've been perfect but they've been decent a lot of the time. And yes, bring Webb in as the nickel back! Excellent suggestion.

We need to generate some pass rush. More QB hurries are needed badly.

Blog Entries

Good Article and all the blame can't go to the secondary. I think Washington is playing well and Foxworth not to bad, but he does get beat for a few big plays. Landry is suspect though, I think Nakamura might cover better, but can't judge do to lack of snaps played at the position.

What you guys don't like Greg Mattison's Vanilla Defense? I don't think I have ever seen the front 7 look so predictable and play so plain that QB's know were to step to avoid the rush and just flat out stay upright in the pocket.

Blog Entries

Do we have personel who could excel more at making our front 4 more pass rushing? Gregg and Bannan are mainly run stuffers...Pryce could be a pass rusher at DT, probably can't do much from the DE spot in a 4 man front...Ngata has to be on the field.

I think if I wanted to improve our pressure, I'd go with a 4 man front...Suggs, Pryce, Bannan, Ngata...LBs would be JJ, Ray, and Barnes/Kruger/Gooden (if you are only rushing 4, Gooden on the field...rushing 5 would be Barnes or Kruger). JJ is also showing some good moves as a rusher, but I would have him be a delayed guy. Have him look like he's dropping into coverage, then go all out to get to the QB...That way the blockers focus on the other 5 and leave him to try to sneak in. I'd also focus on making Landry less of a coverage guy, more a "LB" or rusher.

I hate to say it, but the simplified package just doesn't seem to work for our personel. We need some organized chaos.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

PLEASE BRING BACK THE ORGINIZED CHAOS!!!!
    A lot of fans bought those shits last year and now they are probaly collecting dust because we have know orginized chaos, shit we don't even orginized right now.