Play like a raven

Ok, please help me understand something here. Does playing like a raven mean the following: 1-lack of team discipline, as evidenced by our huge number of penalties, game-in and game-out, especially during crunch time (reminds me of a Billick coached team); 2 - lack of defensive pressure and corner coverage - this is our achilles heel; 3 - lack of a smash-mouth mentality on Offense. I can name a few more, but why waste my time. I think it is already gut-check time for this team. We play a good Viking team on the road next week, followed by the Broncos at home following the bye, and then away to Cincy. Teams with an average passing game will eat up our pathetic secondary - do you hear that Favre - and our lack of pressure on the QB does not bode well for this team going forward. I constantly have given kudos to our coaching staff; but today you guys were outcoached, and our players were outplayed - shame on you! Btw, Reed did his best to save this game for the Ravens today, but the offense did not reciprocate!
    Last edited by ravenjoe; 10-11-2009 at 11:51 PM.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

2. Re: Play like a raven

Quote Originally Posted by ravenjoe View Post
    Ok, please help me understand something here. Does playing like a raven mean the following: 1-lack of team discipline, as evidenced by our huge number of penalties, game-in and game-out, especially during crunch time (reminds me of a Billick coached team); 2 - lack of defensive pressure and corner coverage - this is our achilles heel; 3 - lack of a smash-mouth mentality on Offense. I can name a few more, but why waste my time. I think it is already gut-check time for this team. We play a good Viking team on the road next week, followed by the Broncos at home following the bye, and then away to Cincy. Teams with an average passing game will eat up our pathetic secondary - do you hear that Favre - and our lack of pressure on the QB does not bode well for this team going forward. I constantly have given kudos to our coaching staff; but today you guys were outcoached, and our players were outplayed - shame on you! Btw, Reed did his best to save this game for the Ravens today, but the offense did not reciprocate!
    I think you are correct:grbac:

Re: Play like a raven

Send this to the Castle and address it to the Coach. I am sure he will see it and read it.

4. Angry Re: Play like a raven

Raven Joe hit the nail on the head except for one thing. If the offence could have made at least two first downs in the last three minutes of the game we would not have put the defense in the position to lose the game. However I agree the position problems still exist on both sides of the ball.

Blog Entries

I alluded to this in another thread but anyway..

No. What is happening is when the chips are down some of the players that were here through the Billick regime are reverting to form, and that means being undisciplined and not dealing with responsibilities.

Harbaugh was a success last year because he was a fresh face with a different message, but that's only temporary, after the feelgood results wear off he needs to grind into the team that they need to play tough and do their job. This is the time for that. It's not an overnight thing. And I don't mean cultivate and "Us and them" attitude, because that will only result in blow ups and shifting responsibility. He needs to get this team to look at themselves and realise it's on them, they need to do what they have to do to improve.

A championship caliber team keeps the Bengals out of the end zone with 2 mins left, Really a championship caliber team at least tacks on 3 before that drive even started....I'm guilty about getting excited about this team too early, We still have some work to do but it's its correctable for the most part with the play calling aspect but as far as the pass rushing it's not like Lawrence Taylor is gonna walk thru the door so its gonna be interesting to see how we combat the lack of pass rushers.

Its not only gonna be interesting to see how we combat the lack of pass rushers, but the obvious dearth of talent in the secondary. How we 'smoke and mirror this' is going to be real interesting. I'm of the opinion that this team's weaknesses have been exposed, and any team with a decent QB, of which there are many in the upcoming games - including the Broncos QB - should have their way if push comes to shove.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton