Re: Dez Bryant Ruled Ineligible for NCAA Season

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    Mike Williams, anybody?

- C -
    Different situation in many ways.

PP

Blog Entries

Not sure if he would still necessarily fall to us because of this...

on the one hand, being out of football for the year before would certainly cause the stock to drop some.

But looking at someone like Percy Harvin...he failed a marijuana test during the Combine, but was still drafted before us in the 1st round. And because Dez Bryant's infraction will probably be viewed by all 32 teams as ridiculous, I think he'll be off the board well before we pick. He's currently going at #4 in Draft Countdown's Mock, so unless we lose out the season, can't see us being high enough to get him.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    Different situation in many ways.

PP
    Yeah but point being the guy took a year off and still went #10 overall. He proves your point.

I think the Crabtree situation could have been very interesting. There's precidence for guys going high even when they take a year off. But it hasn't been seen where they take a year because they're pissed off about their fair market value contract offer. Would a team say "He's a talent, go get him" in the top ten? Or would they say "Too much risk, leave him" into the twenties?

Doesn't matter anymore...

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Here is a little update. Apparently Bryant just went to Deion's house and thought that was a violation that is why he lied. It was not. He put this message up on his facebook...
    “This is why I’m suspended…..I went to Deion sanders house ….and the NCAA found out…..they ask me if I been to his house I told them no…I thought it was a violation…but it wasn’t… so I told them I went to his house… I lied to …them and I shouldn’t have….and I’m not suspended for the rest of the season….I’m sorry osu!!”
    Says he is not out for the year.

PFT has a great commetary on the whole situation, and raises the same questions I was starting to have about Deion recently.......

Deion lands in the middle of the Dez Bryant mess

Posted by Mike Florio on October 7, 2009 7:35 PM ET

On the same day that one situation into which former NFL cornerback Deion Sanders became entangled was resolved (sort of), word now emerges that Deion had a direct role in the ineligibility of Oklahoma State receiver Dez Bryant.

As John Taylor of CFT points out, Bryant lost his eligibility to play college football because, as the NCAA explains it, he "failed to openly disclose to the NCAA the full details of his interaction with a former NFL player not affiliated with OSU."

In English, he lied.

As J.T. also points out, Bryant admits that he lied.

Though he still might regain his eligibility, the NCAA doesn't take kindly to being lied to, even if the liar later admits to the lying.

"The kid panicked, man," Sanders said, per the New York Times. "He panicked. He thought it was a violation to come over to my house and it isn't. He said no, that he hadn't been over here, and I said, yeah, he had been over here. I don't lie and he panicked."

Still, at what point is the NFL going to conduct a full investigation into Deion's business interests that are, directly or indirectly, creating collateral headaches for the league? The NFL walks on wafer-thin eggshells when it comes to keeping college coaches happy; this kind of stuff will serve only to make guys like Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy go beserk.

Deion is a league employee, by virtue of his relationship with NFL Network. In little more than a month, Deion has inadvertently blown the whistle on apparent tampering with 49ers receiver Michael Crabtree, and Deion has now compromised the eligibility of Dez Bryant.

So what's Deion's angle? Why is he involved with these kids? Is he just being friendly? Is he recruiting participants for his Prime U show? Or does he have a direct financial interest in steering NFL prospects like Crabtree, Dez Bryant, and Noel Devine to Eugene Parker?

We don't know the answers to those questions, but the NFL definitely should be asking them.
    Could not agree more.

It was not enough that Deion almost screwed up Crabtree's future? Now he is screwing around with Dez Bryant's future. Can't Deion just leave this kids alone.

I do not think this will hurt Bryant's standing all that much. Players have maintained their draft status with worse infractions such as failing a drug test at the combine. Several players failed for Marijuana and even Castillo for performance enhancing drugs and their drop was not all that significant. . Crabtree was not able to workout at the combine and still went 10th and that was only because Davis took DHB.

I would really like to see the Ravens get either Bryant or Gresham with the #1 pick.