Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Defensive Notes vs. Browns 9/27/09

Guys that was a parody / sarcasm.

He was talking about some of the nitpicking after an annihilation of the Browns on Sunday and a 3-0 record.

Not only is Film a great analyst, he might have a future in comedy as well.

The man can do it all.

Quote Originally Posted by 52decleetzu View Post

He was talking about some of the nitpicking after an annihilation of the Browns on Sunday and a 3-0 record.

The man can do it all.
    Hey, we've all seen some folk on *ahem* some boards say things like the above and they are completely serious. That is the crazy part
    Keeping the purple flowing way out on the West Coast!

Quote Originally Posted by Khaine View Post
    Hey, we've all seen some folk on *ahem* some boards say things like the above and they are completely serious. That is the crazy part
    I know, and those folks are the people he was referring to.

The man can do it all.
    OK, I think I need to explain something, and I’ve learned a valuable lesson about attempting humor in writing. It simply doesn't translate very well.

There is no actual Stealerhater52, I made up these posts in an attempt to parody the way some posters become chicken little even when there is nothing to be upset about, like say after Sunday’s game. So please, don’t waste your time looking for these or other posts from this guy.

Most folks here are old enough to remember “The Far Side” cartoon, right? Gary Larson put together a compilation of all his published cartoons and says he got more mail than ever on one labeled “Cow Tools” (1982, you can Google it). It showed a Cow in front of 4 vaguely amorphous objects. He had recently heard that birds (the first non-primates) had been proven to use tools and he was trying to draw some sort of vague reference that if birds were able to use tools, cow tools would be much further down the skill-o-meter. The cartoon wasn’t funny, although I always thought his after-the-fact explanation was hilarious. “Midvale School for the Gifted” (another Far Side cartoon) is something I am now programmed to say when Maureen or I push on a door that is meant to be pulled. Now that’s comedy that sticks with you.

Back to Stealerhater52…I hoped that some factual statements would it make clear this fictional character is an attentive fan, who nonetheless never seems to see the glass as less than 95% empty. Is it true that the 2 sacks involved virtually no contact? Yes. Does it actually have any predictive significance? Probably not. Then I thought, what are some of the other amusing things I see in some of the posts from assorted madmen? I made a list including:

Accidental spelling errors (Mattissonne, nickler defense)
    Intentional respelling (Stealers, Manfoolus)
    Extraordinarily poor cause and effect judgment
    Seemingly random order (see the list of comparisons between the Ravens and Pats)
    People bumping their own posts (kinda like I’m doing right now).
    People who relate their real-life sports experiences at the peewee level to the life of an NFL player
    Boneheaded trade ideas that don’t consider the other team’s needs, the cap, the future, the present, etc.
    Internal inconsistency with prediction or reasoning (14-0 vs. 23-9)
    Undue fascination with the opinions of others (Preston, Power Rankings)
    Post Titles that act as bait to draw you into a worthless thread
    The need to define one’s thread as “official”

There. Now that I have bared my creative soul, I hope you'll forgive me for posting something that is more bothersome than funny. However, if you can't see fit to do so, I promise to take it as seriously as I do all of the power rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    OK, I think I need to explain something, and I’ve learned a valuable lesson about attempting humor in writing. It simply doesn't translate very well.

There is no actual Stealerhater52, I made up these posts in an attempt to parody the way some posters become chicken little even when there is nothing to be upset about, like say after Sunday’s game. So please, don’t waste your time looking for these or other posts from this guy.

Most folks here are old enough to remember “The Far Side” cartoon, right? Gary Larson put together a compilation of all his published cartoons and says he got more mail than ever on one labeled “Cow Tools” (1982, you can Google it). It showed a Cow in front of 4 vaguely amorphous objects. He had recently heard that birds (the first non-primates) had been proven to use tools and he was trying to draw some sort of vague reference that if birds were able to use tools, cow tools would be much further down the skill-o-meter. The cartoon wasn’t funny, although I always thought his after-the-fact explanation was hilarious. “Midvale School for the Gifted” (another Far Side cartoon) is something I am now programmed to say when Maureen or I push on a door that is meant to be pulled. Now that’s comedy that sticks with you.

Back to Stealerhater52…I hoped that some factual statements would it make clear this fictional character is an attentive fan, who nonetheless never seems to see the glass as less than 95% empty. Is it true that the 2 sacks involved virtually no contact? Yes. Does it actually have any predictive significance? Probably not. Then I thought, what are some of the other amusing things I see in some of the posts from assorted madmen? I made a list including:

Accidental spelling errors (Mattissonne, nickler defense)
    Intentional respelling (Stealers, Manfoolus)
    Extraordinarily poor cause and effect judgment
    Seemingly random order (see the list of comparisons between the Ravens and Pats)
    People bumping their own posts (kinda like I’m doing right now).
    People who relate their real-life sports experiences at the peewee level to the life of an NFL player
    Boneheaded trade ideas that don’t consider the other team’s needs, the cap, the future, the present, etc.
    Internal inconsistency with prediction or reasoning (14-0 vs. 23-9)
    Undue fascination with the opinions of others (Preston, Power Rankings)
    Post Titles that act as bait to draw you into a worthless thread
    The need to define one’s thread as “official”

There. Now that I have bared my creative soul, I hope you'll forgive me for posting something that is more bothersome than funny. However, if you can't see fit to do so, I promise to take it as seriously as I do all of the power rankings.
    I think most got it Film, no worries.

I think most got it Film, no worries.
    I admit that I initially searched for Stealerhater in an effort to find the poster who could out-crazy some of our crazier posters... but once I saw that he wasn't a registered member of this board I figured it out.

Also, cow tools was HILARIOUS!
    “I already believe I am the best linebacker in the game. Now, I have to show one more thing ? That I am the most dominating, influential person in the game and the best football player to ever put on a pair of cleats.” -Ray Lewis

Most things are funny because they are true.

I jusr (see what I did there?) assumed you found some goofball-toolbox from some other forum.

However, since you made it all up - good job you for reenacting (or would that be reentyping?) how some people really are. Once again, it is funny because it has truth to it.
    Keeping the purple flowing way out on the West Coast!