Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ring of Honor

1. Re: Ring of Honor

Billick should get in as a coach one day. Just need a few years to let the dust settle from him being fired. But the simple fact is he won a Superbowl. All his failings on offense and at QB can't ever take that away.

2. Re: Ring of Honor

Quote Originally Posted by crazyraven View Post
    The ROH argument comes up all the time and its so lame. At this point it really doesn't matter who gets put up in the ring-- OJ, Byner or whoever. According to the Ravens website other things like character, gratitude, faith and courage will get your name up there. At this point i have no problem with that. Put the ring in persepective, In the grand scheme of things I dont think any one raven has come close to Johnny Unitas greatness. who could be honored any more after death--maybe ray but there is too much baggage there. Again the ROH is a nice honor but its just lame. Real Ravens fans know whats up.

I wasnt around Baltimore when he played but Johnny U has a statue at the front of the building where every true Ravens fan touches the shoe before they enter and leave the building, heck the entrance is named after him.
    I don't think baggage is ever going to come into the question with Ray. He'll have his statue outside within ten years of retiring. Ray Lewis to the Baltimore Ravens what Johnny U is to the Baltimore Colts.

Re: Ring of Honor

Quote Originally Posted by Flipping Birdie View Post
    I support him being added to the ring of honor, for all the obvious reasons and another: his achievements as a Baltimore Stallion, when he was a CFL All-Star. The ring of honor includes players from the Colts and Ravens, why not Stallions? Never mind is off-the-field achievements, with which there is more than one precedent that are perfectly valid and worthy to consider for inclusion.

I think this is a no brainier. Include him.
    Because the Stallions were not an NFL team, that's why. While we're at it we should just include half the Stallions for their efforts in bringing a Grey Cup to the city in the short time they were here.

Should we include old Baltimore Stars players too?

What did OJ do for a Baltimore NFL franchise that makes him worthy of the Ring of Honor? He makes a great story for the NFL, and I think it's wonderful that he comes to work everyday despite the condition he is in. And for that he deserves our respect and gratitiude.

But he doesn't belong in the ROH.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens45 View Post
    Maybe I'm not remembering something (considering I was in elementary school when the Ravens came to town and Byner was playing), but what did Earnest Byner necessarily do that would make his placement in the RoH make more sense? He did very little on the field, and if you're talking about any impact he made in the community, I know we've had better players (even on the field) that have influenced the community. Ex., Mulitalo as already stated.

To me, either way you look at it (and not to beat a dead horse) but in no way should Byner be up there. I just don't see how anything would make "more sense".

But back to the point at hand, I think OJ should definitely be in our RoH. I think there should be a few more to be included in a couple years (I think Reed and Heap will get in, of course Ray, Ogden, Ozzie, and Stover are locks. Even if Jermaine Lewis did get in, I would be totally fine with that. But I can understand that the RoH should be reserved for "elite" Ravens.)

Personally, I want to see Billick up there too one day. And at this rate, I think even Biscotti will be in someday. He has been an incredible, classy, top-notch owner since taking over. We have the best run organization in the entire NFL.
    Because it's not all about on field play.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Because it's not all about on field play.
    Yeah, I get that. But if not for his play on the field, what else did he do off the field that make sense for him being inducted? I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, I'm seriously just asking. What did he really do then to be inducted? Nothing comes to mind.

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth..." (Romans 1:16)

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens45 View Post
    Yeah, I get that. But if not for his play on the field, what else did he do off the field that make sense for him being inducted? I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, I'm seriously just asking. What did he really do then to be inducted? Nothing comes to mind.
    If you're talking about Byner, that was Art Modell's call. Byner played for Modell for a long time in Cleveland and Art loves him. The franchise was young at the time and I guess he made the most sense to Art.

Byner is only still up there for Art's sake. I think everyone in the organization realizes him being there is an embarrassment, and when Art passes away the name will quietly be taken down.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Byner is up there because of his front office work and collective play in the NFL, not his playing time as a Raven. I don't think it merits his inclusion, however. What somebody does for football outside of Baltimore shouldn't matter and if we consider Byner solely on his work in Baltimore it is woefully inadequate.

When you add up OJ's total story in Baltimore football he, I think, does merit inclusion. He was a major player in the Grey Cup title, a contributor to the Super Bowl title, a front office employee and an inspiration to the community and team.

The Ring of Honor in our stadium is about Baltimore football, not just Ravens football. It should reflect your contributions to football in the town.

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    If you're talking about Byner, that was Art Modell's call. Byner played for Modell for a long time in Cleveland and Art loves him. The franchise was young at the time and I guess he made the most sense to Art.

Byner is only still up there for Art's sake. I think everyone in the organization realizes him being there is an embarrassment, and when Art passes away the name will quietly be taken down.
    Oh yeah, I already knew that. He's only up there for his Cleveland days. I was meaning other than being close to Art, there's no other reason for Byner's induction. One can only hope that you're right that when Art does pass, that Ravens fans get a nice surprise on Opening Day the following season (not just because I'm sure we'll have a great memorial/honorary thing for Art that day), but also fans would notice that Earnest Byner's name isn't up there anymore.

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth..." (Romans 1:16)

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Byner isn't going to be taken down any time soon. It would be classless.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Byner is up there because of his front office work and collective play in the NFL, not his playing time as a Raven. I don't think it merits his inclusion, however. What somebody does for football outside of Baltimore shouldn't matter and if we consider Byner solely on his work in Baltimore it is woefully inadequate.

When you add up OJ's total story in Baltimore football he, I think, does merit inclusion. He was a major player in the Grey Cup title, a contributor to the Super Bowl title, a front office employee and an inspiration to the community and team.

The Ring of Honor in our stadium is about Baltimore football, not just Ravens football. It should reflect your contributions to football in the town.

Absolutely. Not everything is stats and Pro Bowls. I'm sure if the players had a vote, O.J. would be a shoe-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post

Except that it is called the "Baltimore Ravens Ring of Honor"

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/..._of_Honor.aspx

Again, you start opening the ROH up for former Stallion players, you may as well induct a whole bunch of them.

Mike Pringle was a 2 time CFL All-Star, MVP of the East Division, CFL's Most Outstanding Player Award, and a member of our Grey Cup team. Are we putting him on the ROH as well?

I understand the Baltimore Colts inductees. They were NFL players.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Except that it is called the "Baltimore Ravens Ring of Honor"

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/..._of_Honor.aspx

Again, you start opening the ROH up for former Stallion players, you may as well induct a whole bunch of them.

Mike Pringle was a 2 time CFL All-Star, MVP of the East Division, CFL's Most Outstanding Player Award, and a member of our Grey Cup team. Are we putting him on the ROH as well?

I understand the Baltimore Colts inductees. They were NFL players.
    Come on Stinger. OJ was a Raven too and has been active in the front office for years. You know it's not a fair comparison to any other Stallion player.

The Colts players were never Ravens either. If it's truly the "Baltimore Ravens Ring of Honor" then Unitas and the rest have no place in there. The precedent has been set.