Offensive Line Model and Notes 9/20/09

Offensive Line Scoring and Notes 9/20/09 vs. Chargers

The national health care debate wages on, but the Ravens needed look no further than across the field to an offensive line facing significant injury concerns. The Chargers employed 2 new starters (Mruczkowski and Dombrowski) and got some playing time from this week’s free agent pickup, D Norman. The starters had 2 previous career starts, while Norman has 24 starts in 9 NFL seasons. Meanwhile, the Ravens entered the game with 6 quality linemen active and trying to share time.

The Ravens again started Chris Chester at RG and Yanda was used only in jumbo formations.

Despite a game-long run of 13 yards, the Ravens gained gained 4.4 yards per rush attempt (132/30, excluding their 2 kneels). The team also netted 181 passing yards on 28 pass plays (6.5 YPP). On 28 pass plays, the Ravens allowed 1 sack and 4 QHs, which isn’t bad. On closer inspection, the Chargers got 1 QH on a declined offsides penalty which resulted in a 15-yard gain and another on an overload blitz where every lineman found a block. The line had just 1 penalty (Oher’s false start). The Ravens allowed 3 tackles for loss other than the sack and did not allow a ball to be tipped at the LoS.

If you are interested to see how my scoring system works, please check out the following link:

http://www.profootball24x7.com/colum...8&view=archive

The Ravens’ 58 non-kneel offensive snaps are included for scoring purposes.

Individual Notes:

Gaither: Jared had a good game. I did not charge him for English’s QH on the declined offsides penalty. He was, however, beaten by Merriman for the QH that may have caused Flacco’s lone interception (Q4, 11:24). Good player, good anticipation of the snap count. Gaither was otherwise terrific, missing just 3 blocks and registering 5 level 2 blocks. He got terrific run push, particularly on McGahee’s 2nd TD (Q2, 10:56). On consecutive plays on that same drive (beginning with Q2, 14:39) he registered 2 blocks per play. Scoring: 54 blocks, 3 missed, 1 QH, 51 points (.88 per play).

Grubbs: It was another solid effort for Grubbs. He pulled successfully on all 4 attempts and had 2 level 2 blocks. The Ravens failed to pick up Merriman’s stunt (Q2, 6:47) on a play where Grubbs was knocked down. Through the first half, Gaither and Grubbs both got tremendous run push. Grubbs’ only significant error (Q2, 11:51) led to a 1-yard loss by Rice. Thus far, I’d say he’s benefited more than Chester from playing next to Birk. Scoring: 55 blocks, 1 missed, 1 penetration, 1 QH, 50 points (.86 per play). If he continues to play at the level he has in the first 2 games, he’ll deserve consideration for post-season honors.

Birk: Birk was outstanding for the 2nd straight game. One could say he faced marginal competition on Sunday, but for the 2nd straight game he made all but 2 of his blocks and did not have a significant breakdown. He made another 6 blocks in level 2, which led the team. On the replay of Merriman’s fine snap anticipation, it was suggested that the Chargers’ LB was timing the snap off Birk who moved his backside. The timing was so close, I’m sure there must have been some clue. Scoring: 56 blocks, 2 missed, 56 points (.97 per play). He’s scored a .98 and a .97 in his first 2 games. The only Raven to turn in consecutive scores as good in 2008 was Jason Brown on 11/9 and 11/16.

Chester: Chester remains the starter and had another solid game. I charged him with 1.5 pressures that led to incompletes. The first he shared with Yanda (Q3, 13:24) and the second came just 3 plays later (Q3, 12:26) on the same drive. He registered 4 blocks in level 2 and a pancake. He also found a block on 3 of 4 pulls. Scoring: 53 blocks, 3 missed, 1.5 penetrations, 50 points (.86 per play).

Oher: Michael came down to earth in his 2nd game, allowing his first sack and committing a false start. On the sack (Q4, 3:37), Oher blocked inside then realized Castillo had beaten him. I’m actually surprised he doesn’t false start more often. He seems to be consistently the fastest lineman into his stance. He had 2 level 2 blocks, 1 pancake, and made a block on his only pull. Scoring: 53 blocks, 4 missed, 1 sack, 1 false start, 44 points (.76 per play).

Yanda: After 6 plays in week 1, he was in for just 3 snaps in week 2. Scoring: 2 blocks, .5 penetration, 1 point (.33 per play).

Ngata: Haloti did not see action on offense.

Other Notes:
    • The Ravens greatly reduced their unbalanced and jumbo sets in week 2:
    • 5-Man Unbalanced Left: 4 plays, 17 yards, 4.3 YPPA. 2 passes and 2 runs.
    • 6-Man: 3 plays, 0 yards. 2 of these plays were unbalanced left formations with Yanda added to the right side. The 3rd had Yanda added to the right side of a balanced formation.
    • By my count, Flacco had ample time to throw on 9 of 27 drop backs. He completed 7 of those 9 for 104 yards.
    • The Ravens have still not run a play from the Wildcat, although they have lined up Troy Smith as a WR on a couple of plays. When it happens, we’ll no doubt enjoy it, but then question why Cameron felt the need to tip his hand in a game that the Ravens won easily. Remember Oakland last season.
    • Once again, the Ravens won without any long plays. Their longest run was 13 yards and their longest pass was 27. Of their 58 plays, 23 went for 6 or more yards. For the season, 40% of their plays have gone for 6+ yards.
    • The Browns come to town with a battered offensive line and a defensive line that has failed to stop the run to date. I would guess we’ll see yet more play action calls from Cameron.

Re: Offensive Line Model and Notes 9/20/09

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    Offensive Line Scoring and Notes 9/20/09 vs. Chargers

The national health care debate wages on, but the Ravens needed look no further than across the field to an offensive line facing significant injury concerns. The Chargers employed 2 new starters (Mruczkowski and Dombrowski) and got some playing time from this week’s free agent pickup, D Norman. The starters had 2 previous career starts, while Norman has 24 starts in 9 NFL seasons. Meanwhile, the Ravens entered the game with 6 quality linemen active and trying to share time.

The Ravens again started Chris Chester at RG and Yanda was used only in jumbo formations.

Despite a game-long run of 13 yards, the Ravens gained gained 4.4 yards per rush attempt (132/30, excluding their 2 kneels). The team also netted 181 passing yards on 28 pass plays (6.5 YPP). On 28 pass plays, the Ravens allowed 1 sack and 4 QHs, which isn’t bad. On closer inspection, the Chargers got 1 QH on a declined offsides penalty which resulted in a 15-yard gain and another on an overload blitz where every lineman found a block. The line had just 1 penalty (Oher’s false start). The Ravens allowed 3 tackles for loss other than the sack and did not allow a ball to be tipped at the LoS.

If you are interested to see how my scoring system works, please check out the following link:

http://www.profootball24x7.com/colum...8&view=archive

The Ravens’ 58 non-kneel offensive snaps are included for scoring purposes.

Individual Notes:

Gaither: Jared had a good game. I did not charge him for English’s QH on the declined offsides penalty. He was, however, beaten by Merriman for the QH that may have caused Flacco’s lone interception (Q4, 11:24). Good player, good anticipation of the snap count. Gaither was otherwise terrific, missing just 3 blocks and registering 5 level 2 blocks. He got terrific run push, particularly on McGahee’s 2nd TD (Q2, 10:56). On consecutive plays on that same drive (beginning with Q2, 14:39) he registered 2 blocks per play. Scoring: 54 blocks, 3 missed, 1 QH, 51 points (.88 per play).

Grubbs: It was another solid effort for Grubbs. He pulled successfully on all 4 attempts and had 2 level 2 blocks. The Ravens failed to pick up Merriman’s stunt (Q2, 6:47) on a play where Grubbs was knocked down. Through the first half, Gaither and Grubbs both got tremendous run push. Grubbs’ only significant error (Q2, 11:51) led to a 1-yard loss by Rice. Thus far, I’d say he’s benefited more than Chester from playing next to Birk. Scoring: 55 blocks, 1 missed, 1 penetration, 1 QH, 50 points (.86 per play). If he continues to play at the level he has in the first 2 games, he’ll deserve consideration for post-season honors.

Birk: Birk was outstanding for the 2nd straight game. One could say he faced marginal competition on Sunday, but for the 2nd straight game he made all but 2 of his blocks and did not have a significant breakdown. He made another 6 blocks in level 2, which led the team. On the replay of Merriman’s fine snap anticipation, it was suggested that the Chargers’ LB was timing the snap off Birk who moved his backside. The timing was so close, I’m sure there must have been some clue. Scoring: 56 blocks, 2 missed, 56 points (.97 per play). He’s scored a .98 and a .97 in his first 2 games. The only Raven to turn in consecutive scores as good in 2008 was Jason Brown on 11/9 and 11/16.

Chester: Chester remains the starter and had another solid game. I charged him with 1.5 pressures that led to incompletes. The first he shared with Yanda (Q3, 13:24) and the second came just 3 plays later (Q3, 12:26) on the same drive. He registered 4 blocks in level 2 and a pancake. He also found a block on 3 of 4 pulls. Scoring: 53 blocks, 3 missed, 1.5 penetrations, 50 points (.86 per play).

Oher: Michael came down to earth in his 2nd game, allowing his first sack and committing a false start. On the sack (Q4, 3:37), Oher blocked inside then realized Castillo had beaten him. I’m actually surprised he doesn’t false start more often. He seems to be consistently the fastest lineman into his stance. He had 2 level 2 blocks, 1 pancake, and made a block on his only pull. Scoring: 53 blocks, 4 missed, 1 sack, 1 false start, 44 points (.76 per play).

Yanda: After 6 plays in week 1, he was in for just 3 snaps in week 2. Scoring: 2 blocks, .5 penetration, 1 point (.33 per play).

Ngata: Haloti did not see action on offense.

Other Notes:
    • The Ravens greatly reduced their unbalanced and jumbo sets in week 2:
    • 5-Man Unbalanced Left: 4 plays, 17 yards, 4.3 YPPA. 2 passes and 2 runs.
    • 6-Man: 3 plays, 0 yards. 2 of these plays were unbalanced left formations with Yanda added to the right side. The 3rd had Yanda added to the right side of a balanced formation.
    • By my count, Flacco had ample time to throw on 9 of 27 drop backs. He completed 7 of those 9 for 104 yards.
    • The Ravens have still not run a play from the Wildcat, although they have lined up Troy Smith as a WR on a couple of plays. When it happens, we’ll no doubt enjoy it, but then question why Cameron felt the need to tip his hand in a game that the Ravens won easily. Remember Oakland last season.
    • Once again, the Ravens won without any long plays. Their longest run was 13 yards and their longest pass was 27. Of their 58 plays, 23 went for 6 or more yards. For the season, 40% of their plays have gone for 6+ yards.
    • The Browns come to town with a battered offensive line and a defensive line that has failed to stop the run to date. I would guess we’ll see yet more play action calls from Cameron.
    I'm not buying that Merriman timed that play. At a minimum, he was in the neutral zone in my opinion. I love how CBS gave us their "smart" vision review, but the problem was that it was partially from the backfield and not down the line of scrimmage. Regardless, that was a huge play in the game...

Hey FS -

How do you mark the false start on Oher given the circumstances? That was the play where they lined up to snap, then inexplicably the refs came into the formation to stop the Ravens from snapping the ball. No reasoning for that, didn't stop the play clock, and it was obvious that it completely disrupted the timing of the offense.

Understanding he gets "credit" for the penalty since it was on him, I think this is one where we can't really fault him for it. If the refs never jump in there, I don't think he jumps before the snap. I was frankly shocked we didn't have more guys jump early there...

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Blog Entries

Thanks Filmstudy.

Q on Yanda's use.
    From what you can tell, is he in only in a blocker role or as a subsitute TE?
    Meaning are we giving up a passing option or wouldn't it make any difference?
    Just trying to get a sense if Tony Curtis will cut into his plays or if we are not running things where a TE could slip out after a chip.

Notice anything on ball spotting?
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old