Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Marching Band documentary Oct 6th at Stadium

Five dollar admission to see the public premiere of Barry Levinson's "The Band That Wouldn't Die":

The film, part of ESPN's "30 for 30" series, chronicles the band's history from its darkest hour, that snowy morning in March 1984 when Mayflower moving vans stole away to Indianapolis with the Colts, through its determination to keep playing and marching even without a team to play and march for, to its present incarnation as the Ravens' musical cheerleaders.

In the process, the group morphed from the Baltimore Colts' Marching Band to Baltimore's Marching Ravens. Their determination to remain both alive and viable - even at a time when Baltimore's prospects of acquiring another NFL team seemed dim - served as a welcome metaphor for the city's determination to bring football back.

Maryland Film Festival founder Jed Dietz, who has seen the film, predicts it will have a profound effect on any Colts or Ravens fan.
    I'll take my whole family, if the school night is no issue. This film focuses on significant aspect of recent Maryland history.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Re: Marching Band documentary Oct 6th at Stadium

Don't forget to get a ticket for RavensDomination

I am there!!! Thnaks for letting us know, I owuld have missed it and I would have regretted it.

Love that band!

Proof positive that Baltimore deserved NFL football despite Taglaboob's treachery.

Quote Originally Posted by FellsPointRaven View Post
    Don't forget to get a ticket for RavensDomination
    :D

Yea it's such a huge part of Maryland history I can't wait!

You know, Fort McHenry, Battle of Antietam, Thurgood Marshall, marching band.

for the record - Colts marching band and the marching ravens are two different things

Quote Originally Posted by RavensDomination View Post
    for the record - Colts marching band and the marching ravens are two different things
    The whole point of the film is that you're wrong about that isn't it?
    “I already believe I am the best linebacker in the game. Now, I have to show one more thing ? That I am the most dominating, influential person in the game and the best football player to ever put on a pair of cleats.” -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by effo5231 View Post
    The whole point of the film is that you're wrong about that isn't it?
    So the Cleveland Browns are the Baltimore Ravens then. Jim Browns records stand as franchise records. Otto Graham is the greatest QB in Ravens history, and Paul Brown is the best coach in Ravens history. Correct?

Wink Re: Marching Band documentary Oct 6th at Stadium

So the Cleveland Browns are the Baltimore Ravens then. Jim Browns records stand as franchise records. Otto Graham is the greatest QB in Ravens history, and Paul Brown is the best coach in Ravens history. Correct?
    Incorrect. The franchise changed cities, so the Browns records stayed behind with the city of Cleveland. In the case of the Marching Ravens, it was always a Baltimore organization. There's no analogy.

Want to try to spin it again?
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Incorrect. The franchise changed cities, so the Browns records stayed behind with the city of Cleveland. In the case of the Marching Ravens, it was always a Baltimore organization. There's no analogy.

Want to try to spin it again?
    The analogy is clear. Baltimore Ravens, Cleveland Browns, two different organizations. Baltimore Colts, Baltimore Ravens, two different organizations.

btw it was funny, on NST replay I was listening to an interview on the Haney show with Jim Speros (the guy who owned the Stallions). If you are looking for someone who legitimately had a hand in bringing us an NFL team look no further.

There is no comparison. The Baltimore Colts marching band was kept alive primarily by the efforts of John Ziemann. If I remember correctly,he went to the complex and grabbed the band uniforms before they were loaded onto the Mayflower vans.
    He was determined to keep the band going. They performed at several NFL games at halftime during the "dark" years.
    I'm sure the documentary will feature Mr. Ziemann quite prominently. He is the director of the Marching Ravens. But more importantly,he is the epitome of the collective spirit that makes Baltimore football fans the greatest anywhere. If you get a chance,thank Mr. Ziemann for his dedication.

Quote Originally Posted by mojorob View Post
    But more importantly,he is the epitome of the collective spirit that makes Baltimore football fans the greatest anywhere. If you get a chance,thank Mr. Ziemann for his dedication.
    +1

Well said.

The analogy is clear. Baltimore Ravens, Cleveland Browns, two different organizations. Baltimore Colts, Baltimore Ravens, two different organizations.
    But the band has been the same organization, under the same leadership structure the entire time. They simply changed uniforms and name. The more apt analogy is like when the New York Titans changed their colors and name to the New York Jets... new colors, new name, same team.
    “I already believe I am the best linebacker in the game. Now, I have to show one more thing ? That I am the most dominating, influential person in the game and the best football player to ever put on a pair of cleats.” -Ray Lewis