Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Ravens and AD Far Apart On Deal

This defense does not run around AD, nor is AD the defense. AD is great in this system. That does not mean he is not a great player, but we could lose AD and still be a dominating defense.

Basically, most folks that are crying to keep AD is because they have grown attached to his show and the personality he brings and that is fine. They are thinking with their hearts and not their brains. AD is a great personality and his show will be missed, but unless AD takes at or below market rate (and he'd be a fool to do that), AD will be a former Raven by April.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    Meanwhile, Ray Lewis, while a great player, IS only a mike LB.
    Does this mean he's always the blitzer? I thought the 'mike' was the additional pass rusher. Never heard it used this way before.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Does this mean he's always the blitzer? I thought the 'mike' was the additional pass rusher. Never heard it used this way before.
    No, MIKE is basically synonymous for middle linebacker. The other LB positions are usually called the SAM (strongside) and WILL (weakside). Now, those are names for a traditional 4-3 alignment. I don't know the terminology for our defense because of all the different changes in position and responsiblities though. I think it's accepted that AD is our SAM, Scott is the WILL, and Ray is the MIKE, in a base defense.
    Season over, guess I'll have to start drinking beer again...

Interesting. I *know* I've heard football players use the term "mike" for pass rushing LB, in a game for instance before the snap the quarterback might call out "55 is the mike!"

I learn something new every day.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Interesting. I *know* I've heard football players use the term "mike" for pass rushing LB, in a game for instance before the snap the quarterback might call out "55 is the mike!"

I learn something new every day.
    Well, it's not that what you're saying is wrong, because every offense/defense has different terminology for certain situations/players.

It's just the SAM/WILL/MIKE terminology to describe at what LB position a player plays is a pretty widely accepted way to refer to them.

On my HS team, our calls were very odd. Our SS that played in the box was the "fruit" meaning whenever a defense was called that said a fruit name, he'd be blitzing in that gap (4-3 Base Strong Apple (SS would be blitzing strongside A gap). Our MLB used animal names, and our outside backers used ladies names.

So it's completely subjective what you call certain positions, but the it seems the standard on a 4-3 uses the SAM-WILL-MIKE naming scheme, at least from a fan's perspective.
    Season over, guess I'll have to start drinking beer again...

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRulz View Post
    This defense does not run around AD, nor is AD the defense. AD is great in this system. That does not mean he is not a great player, but we could lose AD and still be a dominating defense.

Basically, most folks that are crying to keep AD is because they have grown attached to his show and the personality he brings and that is fine. They are thinking with their hearts and not their brains. AD is a great personality and his show will be missed, but unless AD takes at or below market rate (and he'd be a fool to do that), AD will be a former Raven by April.
    I could care less about AD on the radio, I doubt i've listened to more than 5 mins TOTAL of that show ever.

Yeah, we sitll have a lot of good players on our defense. Sure. But the absolute x-factor is AD. He can lineup at DE and end the play as a safety.

I could care less about AD on the radio, I doubt i've listened to more than 5 mins TOTAL of that show ever.

Yeah, we sitll have a lot of good players on our defense. Sure. But the absolute x-factor is AD. He can lineup at DE and end the play as a safety.

He won't be a factor on this team much longer.

I'd keep him over Ray Lewis and Terrell Suggs.
    You do realize that Suggs is like 5 or 6 years younger than AD. AD is peaking now (I wouldn't be surprised if this past season was his peak). Suggs gets better all the time and still has a way to go before he hits his ceiling.

I love AD and he is an important cog but you just don't give 30+ year old players 18MM in bonuses and big contracts. That is how you end up in cap hell. We'll replace AD like we have replaced virtually every player in this D except Ray Ray and McAlister. It may take a couple of years (see Ngata for Goose) but it will get done and the D will still be top 5 like they are every year.

Ray is the general of the D. He elevates the play of everyone around him. He should get a short extension to lower his cap figure and allow him to retire a Raven. Not a payday like AD mind you, just a monetizing of his future salary as a signing bonus plus a year or two of an average salary (say 3-4 mil). It's fair for both parties.

There is no way we can keep him. That is the fact that hurts and most people do not want to believe but, if we signed him we would have to redo other contracts and that simply aint happening! Suck it up....it was a good run
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

suggs is much more replaceable than AD...yeah, he's better at dropping in to coverage and playing in space now, sure...but he's still a one-dimensional pass rusher, overall.

suggs is much more replaceable than AD...yeah, he's better at dropping in to coverage and playing in space now, sure...but he's still a one-dimensional pass rusher, overall.

You can always follow AD as he plays for the Pats, 49ers, Bengals, or Redskins. He won't be here next season. Get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRulz View Post
    You can always follow AD as he plays for the Pats, 49ers, Bengals, or Redskins. He won't be here next season. Get used to it.
    Well...if you and Drew both said it, then I guess you're right.

Of course, you and Drew probably also said Jamal Lewis, Chris McAlister, etc wouldn't be back.

And stop with this "Ray elevates the play of everyone" crap. Maybe a few years ago in 2000, sure. Not anymore. These are professional athletes they don't need a player who performs less than they do to motivate them. I promise you, that is the most trite and overly used inaccurate statement.

Why do you think guys like Hartwell and Scott can step in for Ray with little to no drop off?

No one could step in for AD with little to no drop off.